Management Thread | Starting with a Thud Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
But it is still very much mostly on past management. The horses they don’t have are mostly unmoveable. They hurt themselves for sure but even with not doing the Miller extension the same contracts would still need to be dealt with to right the ship (Pearson, Myers, OEL, Poolman etc.). But you couldn’t really deal with them yet, too many years left. Myers almost got moved if rumors were true but he’s exercised his NTC. The others you can’t move. Hell I don’t even think Pearson can be moved until next season given his play. He still has another year after this so he isn’t a depth veteran deadline acquisition this year.

Honestly I’m still confused about the extreme angst. On one hand you have people recognizing there was no way any plan was a single off season one and then being frustrated nothing is fixed and the season is falling away. This season was only ever going to be a “success” if Demko and Martin stood on their heads and everyone else had their career years again.

Even then management has really only said they are good enough to challenge for a playoff spot. I don’t believe this management team is deluded into thinking this team is good. On the contrary they believe it needs major work but that work really hasn’t had too much of a chance to happen yet. To me it’s the upcoming offseason when we see the true transformation start to happen.

And again that isn’t to say there haven’t been mistakes made. They have absolutely made some. They’ve made things harder on themselves but there is 7/8 years of complete organizational incompetence to undo and it isn’t happening in 1 year.

I’ll be honest, I think the frustration with Boudreau isn’t “if they play a good system we will be successful” frustration. I think it’s based on management wanting to see as many core players as possible actually develop some good habits to build off of. That can be on the coach and honestly I see strides in Pettersson’s game for instance. For the others…well Miller is a lost cause especially at center. Horvat really hasn’t learned anything over the last several seasons…he is what he is. The wingers same thing. You won’t see a lot of development there and we are starting to see some major declines in ability. Blueline? Well we all know that sucks.
People can be pissed off at both management groups. The previous one, on explanation needed. The current one has been an improvement but they have made a few big mistakes. Bruce being one. If they don’t want him, then don’t sign him. Boeser, Miller signings and not trading another player. I’d love to know if FA has had his hands in any of these moves.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
People can be pissed off at both management groups. The previous one, on explanation needed. The current one has been an improvement but they have made a few big mistakes. Bruce being one. If they don’t want him, then don’t sign him. Boeser, Miller signings and not trading another player. I’d love to know if FA has had his hands in any of these moves.

They didn't. Our dumbass owner who can't help himself signed him to the option contract before we even had a PoHO in place.

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
When will people realize that that Rutherford is a worn out old past his prime gm? And now President

He has accomplished zip in his career other than miss the playoffs and make horrible trades and signings.

He won Cups in Pittsburgh AFTER he took over a team that already Crosby, Malkin and Letang

He is no genius people, he is the opposite

PA us a ROOKIE gm that is a deer in the headlights

We are not in good hands

Reactions: decma

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
When will people realize that that Rutherford is a worn out old past his prime gm? And now President

He has accomplished zip in his career other than miss the playoffs and make horrible trades and signings.

He won Cups in Pittsburgh AFTER he took over a team that already Crosby, Malkin and Letang

We are not in good hands

I mean, not necessarily disagreeing with you, but,

1668091670296.png

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008

We are not in good hands
Doesn't really matter at this point of time who JR is or isn't.

We're already down this path and there's no going back.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011

We are not in good hands

I'm a firm hater of the old boys club. I truly hate the fact that we have idiots managing multi-billion dollar hockey teams because they are grey haired ex-hockey players that got into their roles due to nepotism or favoritism.

That said, and given the circumstances...Jim Rutherford is an okay choice for President. He has the experience factor, can take heat and knows how to be a proper spokesperson. The biggest shame is that we got this guy some 12 years too late. He would have been a fantastic voice and mentor for someone like Mike Gillis.

It's all moot these days. FAQ screwed us all to hell.

IslandBeast

Apr 19, 2015
V.I
So is it Stan Smyl who has been here to longest? He is advising Rutherford and working closely with him on player personnel decisions? He should have the best handle on things should he not? He would of seen Miller's dogshit attitude and quitting tendencies during one of the bubble years, he should of known we didn't need more wingers, he should know we need to stop trading picks for reclamation projects etc.

Sorry to all the Canuck lifers from the 80's, I know this is disrespectful to say but Smyl is an absolute loser too for letting all of this go on lol. Nothing but losers in this organization.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
So is it Stan Smyl who has been here to longest? He is advising Rutherford and working closely with him on player personnel decisions? He should have the best handle on things should he not? He would of seen Miller's dogshit attitude and quitting tendencies during one of the bubble years, he should of known we didn't need more wingers, he should know we need to stop trading picks for reclamation projects etc.

Sorry to all the Canuck lifers from the 80's, I know this is disrespectful to say but Smyl is an absolute loser too for letting all of this go on lol. Nothing but losers in this organization.

Eh.

Stan Smyl probably does nothing at all aside from collecting a "pension" from this organization, which is a minor price to show goodwill and keep 80's fans feeling connected to the franchise. He has zero pull and that press conference with Aquilini really suggested he was just there for show.

I really think the JT Miller and Boeser extensions have Francesco Aquilini's fingerprints on them.

IslandBeast

Apr 19, 2015
V.I
Eh.

Stan Smyl probably does nothing at all aside from collecting a "pension" from this organization, which is a minor price to show goodwill and keep 80's fans feeling connected to the franchise. He has zero pull and that press conference with Aquilini really suggested he was just there for show.

I really think the JT Miller and Boeser extensions have Francesco Aquilini's fingerprints on them.

Well still, anyone there simply just collecting a pay-cheque is a loser. He's the VP of hockey ops, he's been here the longest and we're doing the same shit we've always done, which is sucking and losing.

Reactions: Flik

BrentSopelsHair

Mar 2, 2016
StuckInYourDrain
Tons of people here were fine not rebuilding this lineup so all this Aquilini blaming is ringing on deaf ears for me.

Rutherford “not knowing” Boudreau had an option is not an Aquilini problem.
I would say that Rutherford not having a full picture of the contract of the coach who was in place when he came on board is indicative of a diseased, incompetent operational structure, which by extension is very much an Aquilini problem.

And not to defend Rutherford, but if he didn't ask the most incisive questions about the specific option years in the coach's contract, it's likely because he is used to a normal organization where learning extremely pertinent information about a key employee isn't like drawing blood from a stone.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Well still, anyone there simply just collecting a pay-cheque is a loser. He's the VP of hockey ops, he's been here the longest and we're doing the same shit we've always done, which is sucking and losing.

Oh for sure.

Stan Smyl, Ron Delorme, Harold Snepsts and Lars Lindgren are guys who were fortunate enough to sustain 30+ years of employment due to one cup run. It's a loser club mentality for sure because 3 of those guys are or were totally incompetent in their roles. I know the history and what that 1982 cup run meant to this city but come on...

The sooner we get new ownership in here, the better. December 5, 2021 purged the rotting outer layer of the onion. We need to throw the entire thing into the trash.

Reactions: Flik

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Eh.

That should be Ron Delorme's job.;)

Oh for sure.

Stan Smyl, Ron Delorme, Harold Snepsts and Lars Lindgren are guys who were fortunate enough to sustain 30+ years of employment due to one cup run. It's a loser club mentality for sure because 3 of those guys are or were totally incompetent in their roles. I know the history and what that 1982 cup run meant to this city but come on...

The sooner we get new ownership in here, the better. December 5, 2021 purged the rotting outer layer of the onion. We need to throw the entire thing into the trash.
Thomas Gradin has been 'ok'.

• Haha
Reactions: mathonwy

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Tons of people here were fine not rebuilding this lineup so all this Aquilini blaming is ringing on deaf ears for me.

Rutherford “not knowing” Boudreau had an option is not an Aquilini problem.

I'm finding the gnashing of teeth overall quite funny (Brough had another meltdown this morning). I mean, how more people did not see this coming I have no clue. This had disaster written all over it from the moment they went on that run and screwed up the trade deadline last year.

I didn't expect they'd mess up so completely by throwing so much money at Miller, Boeser and Mikheyev. The other thing I didn't quite expect was Demko totally imploding, but that's probably just another symptom of the underlying problems in the organization.

This core has been garbage since the summer of Tanev.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
The way they paraded Stan around as the interim GM, giving him a voice to speak his part.... and then shuffled him away like 3 days later to never be heard of again shows what the organization really thinks of him.

He could be screaming from the front office about what a piece of shit he thinks the team is, how little heart it has etc, but if no one is listening, what can he do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad