Management Thread | Starting with a Thud Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
If you can dig up the post it would be appreciated. Regardless, there's a difference between "thinking he landed a big fish" and "thinking he landed a Dman who would have been contending for the Norris the past 2 years if he was playing out east."

Like I said, what he did think was that he was getting a #1 matchup Dman. Obviously Hughes is our #1 Dman but OEL certainly played the part of matchup Dman and fared pretty well last season. Even Myers was arguably worth his salary last season alongside OEL.

Found part of it. The full interview had him positively gushing. Look at @Bourne Endeavor 's quotes to get a fuller picture of what he was thinking (or not thinking.)

The big thing for me was "every year" and him absolutely not understanding what happened in Phoenix.

gringo

Jul 13, 2022
As usual Drance is right at some point this team will go on a mirage of a run and many people will start talking about a playoff push and how you “can’t break them up while they’re pushing for the playoffs”…

The management team needs to NUT up right NOW. Sure mistakes and miscalculations happened this summer and perhaps shitty offers were all that we came across but now is the time for ruthless leadership. They can make up for their shit summer right now with a cold hearted and cunning plan.

Cut the legs out now. Before a potential run. Make a trade that makes it all but impossible to compete this season. Even if we don’t get the best return. This team is rotted, someone needs to have the guts to kick the last leg out from it so we can actually start fresh.

And yeah that’s what’s fair to the fans. What’s not fair to the fans is selling a plan and not executing. What’s not fair to the fans is blowing smoke about competing for playoffs and then coming out 0 for 7.

We need action now, not talk. Blow this up!

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011

I remember all the comments dating back to February. "But Rutherford would have never taken the job to be bossed around."

Aquilini is still heavily involved. There's no doubting this. He feels like he built this core and got extremely attached to it. Benning was the worst GM in Canuck history but he was certainly a puppet to the owner who has completely gone off the rails since the mid-point of the Gillis era.

Aquilini hired the guys that would listen to him. The process was a total gongshow as he hired the coach before hiring any president or GM.

Reactions: geebaan

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Yotes have that refuse off their books (eg., my avatar) and an extra 1st round pick for their troubles. We have OEL's contract (and cap hit) for the next several years....Garland is a VERY useful player but likely won't be whenever we MIGHT be playoff caliber (and he sure doesn't move the needle for the team right now in terms of making the team competative at least on the ice).

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I remember all the comments dating back to February. "But Rutherford would have never taken the job to be bossed around."

Aquilini is still heavily involved. There's no doubting this. He feels like he built this core and got extremely attached to it. Benning was the worst GM in Canuck history but he was certainly a puppet to the owner who has completely gone off the rails since the mid-point of the Gillis era.

Aquilini hired the guys that would listen to him. The process was a total gongshow as he hired the coach before hiring any president or GM.

Was pretty wild to hear that Rutherford didn't initially know that Boudreau had a multi year contract.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

This isn't surprising and makes complete sense. I fully believe management would not have given Miller that contract, and the fact they caved at the last minute (making a huge jump in the rumoured offer) was due to pressure from ownership.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Was pretty wild to hear that Rutherford didn't initially know that Boudreau had a multi year contract.

It's literally the craziest thing I have ever seen. I always thought that JR had a handshake agreement with FAQ prior to the hiring and maybe JR advised FAQ to go with Boudreau. However we got confirmation that JR was totally in the dark about the contract structure and terms.

It confirms to me that Bruce Boudreau was a FAQ hire and literally put the new President and GM in a difficult spot to start with. FAQ needs to just go away and let experience and knowledge do what it can to correct this.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
The management team needs to NUT up right NOW. Sure mistakes and miscalculations happened this summer and perhaps shitty offers were all that we came across but now is the time for ruthless leadership. They can make up for their shit summer right now with a cold hearted and cunning plan.

I imagine even with this start they feel it's too early to deviate from whatever "plan" they've put in place.

But I think the market would appreciate a management team that says "you know what, we thought this would work but it just didn't so instead of spinning our wheels and bleeding assets/value we're going to eat shit here and change course."

At least you can take some solace in knowing that management understands what went wrong and how to fix it. The way things are now it's frustrating because it feels like they are just going to do what they've been doing and it's going to lead to a whole lot of nothing.

(yes I know this would never happen)

Pretty much everything JR has said since he took the job has been spot on, however that comment about "people don't realize just how long rebuilds take" tells you that there is still a major disconnect between ownership/management and their plan vs what the fans want.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
It’s clear the owners are setting the direction, it’s exactly the same as it was under Benning

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor

At the time an old dog like Rutherford was seen as safe because he wouldn't feel compelled to bend to Aquilini. In hindsight, a guy who has no need to build a legacy and is happy just to collect a paycheck... maybe that wasn't the best match with an know-nothing-know-it-all owner. Why does he need to raise a stink?

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I still laugh thinking they sat around had a meeting and at the end of it they decided giving Miller 8 years made sense 😂🤣

That contract aged like a turd made of shit, and it has not even started yet...

EDIT: btw, any spicy tweets from Aquaman himself?

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
I still laugh thinking they sat around had a meeting and at the end of it they decided giving Miller 8 years made sense 😂🤣

I cannot imagine the frustration of being an AGM or analytics person within and watching them roll with the same roster and expecting different results. It's probably the very same happenings that caused Rachel Doerrie to lose her cool in the end.

"So why is a trust fund baby and real estate mogul telling us what to do?"

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
One major thing that is concerning to me is that this is two straight regimes who don't seem to have a pulse of the dynamic in the locker room. The last group moved guys like Tanev & Toffoli who were obviously glue guys and then brought in guys who weren't a fit here. This latest group seems to be broken in some way and has been for awhile, yet the same guys keep coming back.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
That contract aged like a turd made of shit, and it has not even started yet...

EDIT: btw, any spicy tweets from Aquaman himself?

He's been MIA on Twitter since giving condolences when Stan's wife passed.

But you better believe he's got a tweet on deck for when the team first wins.

Reactions: mriswith

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
The gullible part of me hopes that JR is now going to Aqua's face and saying "See! You're plan didn't work! Now let us do OUR thing!"

Reactions: mriswith
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad