Management Thread | Starting with a Thud Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Boeser+OeL - $13 shmilly for 1 goal between them

And we can’t blame just Benning on that, Rutherford’s management group are the ones who put their heads together to re-sign Boeser to that 6.6 million for 3 years. Nothing has changed.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I think we already know what their plan is for this year, and I think it is safe to say that plan didn't survive contact with the NHL regular season.

For this plan, to compete in 2-3 years to work, they needed to move much faster. Move out money. Be willing to lose trades to free up that cap space. Be willing to take a step back in year 1 of their plan so you can actually accumulate assets for year 3 & 4 of this plan.

We are one year into a 2 year turnaround. Once you start talking 3-4 years that's a rebuild.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Unless they do the unlikely and trade Miller for a package of good young assets, this new management group has added to the glut of ugly, longterm contracts by re-signing Boeser and Miller. Interesting that Rutherford is preaching moving big money contracts when the group he assembled wrote up 2 of them.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Unless they do the unlikely and trade Miller for a package of good young assets, this new management group has added to the glut of ugly, longterm contracts by re-signing Boeser and Miller. Interesting that Rutherford is preaching moving big money contracts when the group he assembled wrote up 2 of them.

Miller should basically be moved as soon as possible after this start. I'd be shopping Myers and Garland as well. At this point, I'd probably re-sign Horvat. Pearson should be waived or moved for nothing.

McDavid is too whiny

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
I would not resign Horvat but I would trade him while his value is sky high. He ain't that good, kiddos. And he is a poor leader. Team will be better without him.
so…

you’re falsely attributing what benning did to current management, and you’re hatcheting the last survivor of the gillis era

what was it again people say about you? 🤣

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Best course to distance oneself is to actually distance oneself, I.e: Resign.

Rutherford is instead choosing to go on the offensive. Visible frustration, not apathy. He’s trying to stay in the mix while hoping something happens above him, imo. If nothing does, then he’ll leave.

I think he'll be gone at the end of the year (by his own choice). Nothing much to gain other than money he doesn't need, and he's secured the spots for his people.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
So far, Rutherford is doing his best imitation of Jim Benning. Re-signing Miller for eight years will go down as a disaster......and they keep on trading draft picks for blueline 'help' that doesn't help much in the end.

I mean seriously, what's changed? A bloated payroll; a bad product on the ice; and the prospect pipeline that's as barren as the far side of the Moon.

I realize the a lot of people in the Canuck cult don't care about any of things and will keep buying tickets and jerseys......but so far this new management group is as much a bust as Benning was.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
So far, Rutherford is doing his best imitation of Jim Benning. Re-signing Miller for eight years will go down as a disaster......and they keep on trading draft picks for blueline 'help' that doesn't help much in the end.

I mean seriously, what's changed? A bloated payroll; a bad product on the ice; and the prospect pipeline that's as barren as the far side of the Moon.

I realize the a lot of people in the Canuck cult don't care about any of things and will keep buying tickets and jerseys......but so far this new management group is as much a bust as Benning was.
It's Aquilini.

Benning was an idiot but this is ALL Aquilini.

Reactions: Canucks LB and iFan

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
It's Aquilini.

Benning was an idiot but this is ALL Aquilini.

I have re-iterate that Aqua doesn't care about the low level trades or signings (like a Dickenson or Studnicka) but he has a big hand in keeping his core together. The re-signing of Boeser and Miller handcuffed this team into more years of permanent mediocrity.

Unless he re-ignites his Twitter account with more posts about waiver wire pickups. Injuries! :sarcasm:

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

brock hughes007

Sep 12, 2019
victoria
No faith in this management group,,all talk same dam crap. .Bruce is going to be the scapegoat, for them He can only coach what he is given,,,a plate of hot garbage.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Nobody is giving anything significant back for this years iteration of Miller.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
As Cam Charron just said on SN650 has said which many posters (myself included) have been saying all off season is: “This team just doesn’t have the horses” that’s on management not coaches.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
As Cam Charron just said on SN650 has said which many posters (myself included) have been saying all off season is: “This team just doesn’t have the horses” that’s on management not coaches.
But it is still very much mostly on past management. The horses they don’t have are mostly unmoveable. They hurt themselves for sure but even with not doing the Miller extension the same contracts would still need to be dealt with to right the ship (Pearson, Myers, OEL, Poolman etc.). But you couldn’t really deal with them yet, too many years left. Myers almost got moved if rumors were true but he’s exercised his NTC. The others you can’t move. Hell I don’t even think Pearson can be moved until next season given his play. He still has another year after this so he isn’t a depth veteran deadline acquisition this year.

Honestly I’m still confused about the extreme angst. On one hand you have people recognizing there was no way any plan was a single off season one and then being frustrated nothing is fixed and the season is falling away. This season was only ever going to be a “success” if Demko and Martin stood on their heads and everyone else had their career years again.

Even then management has really only said they are good enough to challenge for a playoff spot. I don’t believe this management team is deluded into thinking this team is good. On the contrary they believe it needs major work but that work really hasn’t had too much of a chance to happen yet. To me it’s the upcoming offseason when we see the true transformation start to happen.

And again that isn’t to say there haven’t been mistakes made. They have absolutely made some. They’ve made things harder on themselves but there is 7/8 years of complete organizational incompetence to undo and it isn’t happening in 1 year.

I’ll be honest, I think the frustration with Boudreau isn’t “if they play a good system we will be successful” frustration. I think it’s based on management wanting to see as many core players as possible actually develop some good habits to build off of. That can be on the coach and honestly I see strides in Pettersson’s game for instance. For the others…well Miller is a lost cause especially at center. Horvat really hasn’t learned anything over the last several seasons…he is what he is. The wingers same thing. You won’t see a lot of development there and we are starting to see some major declines in ability. Blueline? Well we all know that sucks.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
But it is still very much mostly on past management. The horses they don’t have are mostly unmoveable. They hurt themselves for sure but even with not doing the Miller extension the same contracts would still need to be dealt with to right the ship (Pearson, Myers, OEL, Poolman etc.). But you couldn’t really deal with them yet, too many years left. Myers almost got moved if rumors were true but he’s exercised his NTC. The others you can’t move. Hell I don’t even think Pearson can be moved until next season given his play. He still has another year after this so he isn’t a depth veteran deadline acquisition this year.

Honestly I’m still confused about the extreme angst. On one hand you have people recognizing there was no way any plan was a single off season one and then being frustrated nothing is fixed and the season is falling away. This season was only ever going to be a “success” if Demko and Martin stood on their heads and everyone else had their career years again.

Even then management has really only said they are good enough to challenge for a playoff spot. I don’t believe this management team is deluded into thinking this team is good. On the contrary they believe it needs major work but that work really hasn’t had too much of a chance to happen yet. To me it’s the upcoming offseason when we see the true transformation start to happen.

And again that isn’t to say there haven’t been mistakes made. They have absolutely made some. They’ve made things harder on themselves but there is 7/8 years of complete organizational incompetence to undo and it isn’t happening in 1 year.

I’ll be honest, I think the frustration with Boudreau isn’t “if they play a good system we will be successful” frustration. I think it’s based on management wanting to see as many core players as possible actually develop some good habits to build off of. That can be on the coach and honestly I see strides in Pettersson’s game for instance. For the others…well Miller is a lost cause especially at center. Horvat really hasn’t learned anything over the last several seasons…he is what he is. The wingers same thing. You won’t see a lot of development there and we are starting to see some major declines in ability. Blueline? Well we all know that sucks.

Because they failed to move their best trade asset and manged to make him in to a massive boat anchor contract instead. They created another contract they need to move at the time when I believe we might be contending. That is so far their biggest move.

I don't understand the lack of angst from some of the regulars here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad