Management Thread | Regular Season Edition

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Rutherford took the job because he wanted a challenge. He said so. He saw a disaster and it was.

The sheer volume of terrible contracts they had to move out over 3 seasons is astounding. The enoumous resources that had to be applied to make OEL's contract partially go away was massive. The balls it took to trade their Captain.

But they made it look easy so your ilk go on pretending it was a great situation he walked into. I can't understate my contempt for this way of thinking enough. Any Benning bro today should be thoroughly humiliated.
I don't know what you're talking about, Benning clearly paved a super highway to the present success and whoever is in charge now (Ruther something) only has to just show up and cash his paycheque.

The fact is, I'm not convinced Benning was fired at all, as every move since his "firing" is classic Benning. Brilliant tacticians like Benning often operate from behind the scenes.

I think when the cup is handed over, Benning will skate out to center ice to accept he cup from Bettman and all you loser Benning haters will bow down and beg forgiveness.

Only true Canuck fans know this.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Said it before, will say it again: team's succeeding DESPITE Dimbo's Reign of Error, not BECAUSE of it.

Dimbo did the easy work, which is for the team to suck shit long enough to get enough draft picks to get some star players, and he couldn't even do THAT properly, having pissed away so many picks and drafted unmitigated disasters in OJ and JV. Team's culture, cap, depth, and reputations all ate shit royally during his tenure. If Dimbo's so-called drafting was such a pivotal part of the team, he'd start to have success himself already, and so would the Oilers before McDavid and Draisaitl. He was well on the way to either destroy our young star players' careers, or simply driving them to another team because Dimbo is a f***ing idiot who was running the team into the ground.

Was he completely without merit? No, that would be a statistical impossibility. But if you think he was some misunderstood genius who was too ahead of his time, you're completely insane. This man was a shit stain who brought about one of the darkest eras in Orca history, period. His incompetence turned away nearly multiple generations of fans away from the team permanently, and almost single-handed eviscerated the team's once-proud culture.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
predictably moronic
It’s like if a classroom full of students had the same teacher for 8 years and the entire class failed for 8 years straight. Then a new teacher comes in and 2 years later the students start succeeding. “The previous teacher laid the foundation for the new teacher to succeed.”

I’ve read some incredibly stupid arguments on here over the years, but this one is near the top.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
"Jim Rutherford cleaned up Benning's mess effectively and decisively so maybe Benning didn't do a bad job," is a helluva an argument.

Using Rutherford's work is impressive because he was left a disaster. Jimbo fans trying to claim vctory on the back of his work is disgusting.
The dogshit contract that Jethro Bodine acquired (while giving up a 1st round pick to do so in order to get the player) will be lingering around in dead cap space until the 2030-31 season.

St. Anger's greatest fan is proud of that.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Its interesting to note that most of the posters that are clinging to the Rutherford inherited a 'disaster' , are the same impatient posters that wanted JR to blow the team up, and blast Miller into the sun (they know who they are)...Or the equally delusional blow it up but keep EP,QH, in which case both players would have exited stage left (concurred by JR)...

Fortunately, JR did the exact opposite of blowing it up. He kept the core group, and retained Miller over Horvat..Staying the course, and being patient is why we're in 1st place.

The notion of JR being too 'polite' to say he inherited a disaster is fiction..Rutherford is a blunt instrument of complete honesty (almost to a fault..anybody that says otherwise isnt paying attention)..He spelt out the pro's and cons of the situation when he first got here...He was impressed immediately by the core group in his first year here.

Last edited:

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Frankly I was absent and not participating in this community until as recently as November 2023 so any allusions to what I thought JR should do are entirely made up by you to strawman.

It was a disaster. There's no other way to describe Jimbo's 8 years here. No other way to describe the Oliver Ekman-Larson trade. That alone is evidence of disaster. You are coping so hard, I feel sorry for you. Take your L. Be free.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Its interesting to note that most of the posters that are clinging to the Rutherford inherited a 'disaster' , are the same impatient posters that wanted JR to blow the team up, and blast Miller into the sun (they know who they are)...Or the equally delusional blow it up but keep EP,QH, in which case both players would have exited stage left (concurred by JR)...

Fortunately, JR did the exact opposite of blowing it up. He kept the core group, and retained Miller over Horvat..Staying the course, and being patient is why we're in 1st place.

The notion of JR being too 'polite' to say he inherited a disaster is fiction..Rutherford is a blunt instrument of complete honesty (almost to a fault..anybody that says otherwise isnt paying attention)..He spelt out the pro's and cons of the situation when he first got here...He was impressed immediately by the core group in his first year here.

See this is the part that's consistently twisted and warped in order to make Dimbo NOT look like a complete f***ing moron: the star players we have were all his effort therefore we must emphasize that this is THE most pivotal part of the team's success. Like I said a thousand times, getting those players is not the hard part, you just gotta sit on your ass and let the team suck until year in year out we have enough drafted players, some of whom will eventually become stars. Even a blind monkey is bound to find a few bananas here and there. Look at Oilers before McDavid, look at Buffalo. And again, Dimbo can't even do that correctly - dude drafted OJ and JV, plus trading away a freighter worth of draft picks, despite him being proclaimed constantly as this elder god of drafting. The rest of building a good team is just as important if not more so - patience is part of it, but far more important are the acquisition of proper and competent staff, returning to Abt's roots to revive a dying development system, making positive trades and careful management of assets and cap space...etc. Our new management made mistakes, but were quick to correct most of them. If the core group was all that's needed, then there would be little to no additional changes required. All we gotta do is sit there and watch this beautifully seeded team grow into a majestic conifer reaching into the heavens.

I for one would be the first to admit that I was wrong about Moleman and Mr. Clean, they did some amazing work and things have worked out very well. I'm more than willing to be accountable about my mistakes. I've even said that Miller trade worked out very well, one of the few good things Dimbo has done. This continuous narrative that Dimbo was not given credit for his..."brilliance" has GOT to stop. No, he's not a misunderstood genius of hockey ops, he's not some supreme being of draft, he's not a unsung hero whose efforts were never recognized. No, he's a piece of shit of a GM and will always be remembered as such.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Frankly I was absent and not participating in this community until as recently as November 2023 so any allusions to what I thought JR should do are entirely made up by you to strawman.

It was a disaster. There's no other way to describe Jimbo's 8 years here. No other way to describe the Oliver Ekman-Larson trade. That alone is evidence of disaster. You are coping so hard, I feel sorry for you. Take your L. Be free.
Not a single person is debating Bennings time was a disaster (another deflection..another straw man)..It's an obvious fact he was incapable of putting a cohesive team on the ice.

I'm assuming you cant defend your 'polite' JR stance..Or the 'disaster ' he inherited...Well done..We'll leave it at that.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
See this is the part that's consistently twisted and warped in order to make Dimbo NOT look like a complete f***ing moron: the star players we have were all his effort therefore we must emphasize that this is THE most pivotal part of the team's success. Like I said a thousand times, getting those players is not the hard part, you just gotta sit on your ass and let the team suck until year in year out we have enough drafted players, some of whom will eventually become stars. Even a blind monkey is bound to find a few bananas here and there. Look at Oilers before McDavid, look at Buffalo. And again, Dimbo can't even do that correctly - dude drafted OJ and JV, plus trading away a freighter worth of draft picks, despite him being proclaimed constantly as this elder god of drafting. The rest of building a good team is just as important if not more so - patience is part of it, but far more important are the acquisition of proper and competent staff, returning to Abt's roots to revive a dying development system, making positive trades and careful management of assets and cap space...etc. Our new management made mistakes, but were quick to correct most of them. If the core group was all that's needed, then there would be little to no additional changes required. All we gotta do is sit there and watch this beautifully seeded team grow into a majestic conifer reaching into the heavens.

I for one would be the first to admit that I was wrong about Moleman and Mr. Clean, they did some amazing work and things have worked out very well. I'm more than willing to be accountable about my mistakes. I've even said that Miller trade worked out very well, one of the few good things Dimbo has done. This continuous narrative that Dimbo was not given credit for his..."brilliance" has GOT to stop. No, he's not a misunderstood genius of hockey ops, he's not some supreme being of draft, he's not a unsung hero whose efforts were never recognized. No, he's a piece of shit of a GM and will always be remembered as such.
I agree with pretty much everything you're saying here, but I am giving credit to the Canucks for drafting these players ..and thats pretty much it....They drafted 4 outstanding players, and traded for another one..I'm not passing that off as fluke/coincidence.

Nobody is giving credit for JBs 'brilliance' as a GM...In fact, if he was still in charge, I'm sure most of our top players would have headed for the exits..He clearly had no plan, or idea to construct a winning team...and was rightly fired..

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I agree with pretty much everything you're saying here, but I am giving credit to the Canucks for drafting these players ..and thats pretty much it....They drafted 4 outstanding players, and traded for another one..I'm not passing that off as fluke/coincidence.

Nobody is giving credit for JBs 'brilliance' as a GM...In fact, if he was still in charge, I'm sure most of our top players would have headed for the exits..He clearly had no plan, or idea to construct a winning team...and was rightly fired..
It is nice for you to admit, albeit indirectly, that you were consistently wrong and largely unreasonable in your arguments to defend Jim Benning for your first 4 years of posting here until his firing. I’ll take that as a win and we can move on :)

• Haha
Reactions: bossram and Wisp

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant

Lol. Why is "brilliance" in quotation marks? Who said Benning was "brilliant"?

You (by that I mean people in general) have to give the last regime more credit, whether that's Bracket, Linden, or whoever, because a talent like Hughes is very hard to get - very few teams get somebody like him even when drafting top 5 year after year, and we got him at fricken 7. Same with Pettersson and Demko.

Lucky or whatever, you can't deny that Rutherford inherited a group talent that only a few other teams can match.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Not a single person is debating Bennings time was a disaster (another deflection..another straw man)..It's an obvious fact he was incapable of putting a cohesive team on the ice.

I'm assuming you cant defend your 'polite' JR stance..Or the 'disaster ' he inherited...Well done..We'll leave it at that.
"Nonsense...He didnt see a disaster," - You. Debating with me whether his time was a disaster. Man you suck.

Speaking of deflecting, not lost on me that you're crying about perceived debate faux pas while you try and defend the most absurd argument possible. it is pointless for me to wade deeper into your swamp to defend my points anymore than I have. Be reasonable about something reasonable and maybe we'll have a reasonable discussion, but right now this is the Canucks equivalent of me bickering with a Flat-earther. Disputing Benning left a disaster is Flat-earthing.

Reactions: Frankie Blueberries

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
"Nonsense...He didnt see a disaster," - You. Debating with me whether his time was a disaster. Man you suck.

Speaking of deflecting, not lost on me that you're crying about perceived debate faux pas while you try and defend the most absurd argument possible. it is pointless for me to wade deeper into your swamp to defend my points anymore than I have. Be reasonable about something reasonable and maybe we'll have a reasonable discussion, but right now this is the Canucks equivalent of me bickering with a Flat-earther.
Vague insults now..?..:cool:

giphy-1.gif

Last edited:

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby

I'm definitely willing to give credit to Dimbo for drafting our core stars. What Linden said was concerning, but I'm not gonna argue against results.

Also, I am quite pleased to see that Aquaman has basically retreated back to his sewers ever since Moleman took over. This is, on top of many other things, definitely a step in the right direction.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby

You (by that I mean people in general) have to give the last regime more credit, whether that's Bracket, Linden, or whoever, because a talent like Hughes is very hard to get - very few teams get somebody like him even when drafting top 5 year after year, and we got him at fricken 7. Same with Pettersson and Demko.

Lucky or whatever, you can't deny that Rutherford inherited a group talent that only a few other teams can match.

"Brilliance" in quotation marks because the man was the polar opposite of brilliant. No, enough credit has been given to that dumb f*** Dimbo already, MORE than enough. Most if not all posters would clearly acknowledge that we got some great players. But you're ignoring pretty much everything else I said - getting star players ain't worth shit unless you buff up every other aspect of the organization. Even for the Oilers with McDavid and Draisatl, if they had not brought in some solid role players like Hyman and Kane, the team would be so far down in the gutters McDavid will request trade openly. This goes the same for our team, without the other tedious, time-consuming, almost thankless labors done by Mr. Clean and Moleman, this team will still be a giant tire fire. Pete and Hughes WILL request trade.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

They also inherited one of the biggest mess. No cap, no assets, no prospects, shit contracts, zero depth, rotten culture, little talent even in the freaking front office.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Jim Benning deserves zero credit for anything and especially not the talent he got by accident or was forced to take in the draft when he wanted someone else.

Recently saw this braindead take:

I absolutely guarantee you that Garland/Juulsen do NOT find their games had we not completely rebuilt management, development, and coaching from the ground up.

Reactions: DS7 and racerjoe

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Recently saw this braindead take:

I absolutely guarantee you that Garland/Juulsen do NOT find their games had we not completely rebuilt management, development, and coaching from the ground up.

Definitely not.

Although 'Juulsen is our 3rd best defender' might be an even worse take.

Reactions: timw33

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1