Management Thread | Regular Season Edition

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
I haven’t researched this, @Vector bat signal, but I feel like it may be easier to dump players mid season to deadline rather than off season or early season.

Obviously depends on situations, but I think you might be right and that sometimes a team with needs mid-season can more easily convince themselves that a guy might turn it around and fix their problems in a way that doesn't happen in the offseason or early on when they're still mostly dealing with hypotheticals.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I haven’t researched this, @Vector bat signal, but I feel like it may be easier to dump players mid season to deadline rather than off season or early season.

The most common time to dump salary is before or at the draft. The next common is at the end of training camp but these tend to be smaller trades (Dickinson, Lafferty, and Pearson as examples). In-season salary dump trades are more like hockey trades (Kuzmenko) rather than pure dumps.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Obviously depends on situations, but I think you might be right and that sometimes a team with needs mid-season can more easily convince themselves that a guy might turn it around and fix their problems in a way that doesn't happen in the offseason or early on when they're still mostly dealing with hypotheticals.
Ya, that’s my thought, as well as the fact that there are free agents available during the summer so teams are more stingy with their available cap. I think if we can dump Mikyeyev this deadline that would be best. I think the price to dump him will be higher in the summer.

The most common time to dump salary is before or at the draft. The next common is at the end of training camp but these tend to be smaller trades (Dickinson, Lafferty, and Pearson as examples). In-season salary dump trades are more like hockey trades (Kuzmenko) rather than pure dumps.
Yes, but it would seem the price to dump a player, when facilitating a “hockey” trade in season, is cheapest.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007

Wait, did @Hodgy mean easier as in it costs less or it happens more?

Leading up to the draft makes sense for it to happen often, as the picks you're bundling to make it work are worth the most at that point.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Wait, did @Hodgy mean easier as in it costs less or it happens more?

Leading up to the draft makes sense for it to happen often, as the picks you're bundling to make it work are worth the most at that point.
I meant costs less.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I meant costs less.

It’s a bit complicated because trade deadline is pretty random. There are rarely, if ever, pure dumps. Most are salary offsets or just bad trades (ex: Granlund). The only pure salary dump at the deadline I could think of was the aborted Dadanov trade. I’d have to look through the recent trades, though.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
It’s a bit complicated because trade deadline is pretty random. There are rarely, if ever, pure dumps. Most are salary offsets or just bad trades (ex: Granlund). The only pure salary dump at the deadline I could think of was the aborted Dadanov trade. I’d have to look through the recent trades, though.
Ya, I don’t mean as a pure dump as I agree those are harder to accomplish. I mean as part of a hockey trade, like Kuzy to Calgary, or Beauvillier to us last year.

It would seem Mikheyev plus first and/or good prospect for a good winger could work at this deadline.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Our management has been so...methodical and surgical about things near this TDL. They've been taking care of business like no tomorrow.

It's too bad that Lindholm has been pretty bad lately. If he doesn't pick up the pace between now and playoffs, they might just had to let him go.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Our management has been so...methodical and surgical about things near this TDL. They've been taking care of business like no tomorrow.

It's too bad that Lindholm has been pretty bad lately. If he doesn't pick up the pace between now and playoffs, they might just had to let him go.

9 years ago:
"Our management has been....so impulsive and lazy about things near this TDL. They have been screwing things up like no tomorrow.

It's too bad that Sbisa has been pretty bad lately. If he doesn't pick up the pace between now and playoffs, they might just have to deal with the term cap hit of 3.6m by adding Gudbranson. "

Last edited:
Reactions: Angry Little Elf

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
I think there is no denying that the management team has been good. We seem to have a good thing going right now and I hope we can keep this management team together as long as possible.

Reactions: Angry Little Elf

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Remember when people thought RJ doesn’t know what he was doing?

Turns out having a terrible boss can make you look bad

Yeah, the narrative has shifted considerably. Which is fine, fans have barely half the story. When Rutherford and Allvin were brought in, all we knew was that he was the GM of one of the worst developmental AHL teams.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Remember when people thought RJ doesn’t know what he was doing?

Turns out having a terrible boss can make you look bad
To be fair, I don’t really know what his contributions consist of. Most of the praise for Abbotsford’s role has to do with coaching. Like, I have no reason to doubt RJ but you can’t evaluate an AHL GM on personnel moves like we do for the parent club.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
To be fair, I don’t really know what his contributions consist of. Most of the praise for Abbotsford’s role has to do with coaching. Like, I have no reason to doubt RJ but you can’t evaluate an AHL GM on personnel moves like we do for the parent club.
If you can’t evaluate him, then it’s also unfair to call him bad at this job

The point is, Jim and John made everyone looked bad

Yeah, the narrative has shifted considerably. Which is fine, fans have barely half the story. When Rutherford and Allvin were brought in, all we knew was that he was the GM of one of the worst developmental AHL teams.
Well

He didn’t hire Green, Cull and Smyl

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
9 years ago:
"Our management has been....so impulsive and lazy about things near this TDL. They have been screwing things up like no tomorrow.

It's too bad that Sbisa has been pretty bad lately. If he doesn't pick up the pace between now and playoffs, they might just have to deal with the term cap hit of 3.6m by adding Gudbranson. "

Just threw up in my mouth, bleh...

Reactions: TropicOfNoReturn

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Ya, its pretty hard to evaluate an AHL GM. Outside of guys like Craig Heisinger, who are finding Burrows/Rypien type players, its tough to evaluate.

Reactions: Jyrki21

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad