Management Thread - Read OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
The biggest difference is Ferland scored some points while leeching of top 6 players while Connolly did it from the 3rd line. Connolly is also a better defensive player. IMO Connolly is the better player, Ferland has been carried by Monahan and Aho, while Connolly had the same level of production playing next to Lars Eller.
And Monahan/Gaudreau and Aho have significantly better numbers away from Ferland.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
The thing with Connolly is that he’s been out-producing his minutes for 4 straight years.

His 2016-18 numbers at ES - from 10-12 bottom-6 minutes/game - are basically the same as what Sven Baertschi was putting up here on the top line next to Horvat. And that was before he broke out this year and put up first-line production from 13 minutes/game next to Lars Eller.

As soon as he gets a consistent 16 minutes/game with some PP time he’ll be a consistent 25+ goal guy.

I don't share your projections based on extrapolations. I do think Connolly is a good player but it would be foolish to sign him with the idea that if given 16 minutes/game with some PP time he'll be a consistent 25+ goal guy.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I don't share your projections based on extrapolations. I do think Connolly is a good player but it would be foolish to sign him with the idea that if given 16 minutes/game with some PP time he'll be a consistent 25+ goal guy.

I don't feel this is some sort of outlandish projection.

He averaged 16 goals/82 GP from 2014-2018 while getting 10-12 3rd/4th line minutes/game.

Last year, he scored 22 goals from 13 minutes/game on a 3rd line with almost zero PP time. If he received regular 2nd unit PP time last year and scored a measly 3 goals there, he's at 25 last year.

After 5 years of outproducing his minutes, I don't think it's a huge stretch to think he's improve slightly more with better linemates and more icetime.

Again, for the couple years prior to this year in 2016-2018 he was basically generating Sven Baertschi results at ES from Tim Schaller minutes. Last year wasn't some sort of fluke.

Reactions: bossram and timw33

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
it's not a logic i used.

Players who fight and play physical get and deserve compensation. Do you disagree

Connolly is the same age as Ferland and has had major hip surgery. As a rule your right on the break down bit but he's 27 not 30. No one is advocating for a 5 or 6 year deal. If he came in at 4 x 4 that could be a nice addition and one that makes us harder to play against.

It amazes me how people scoff at being able to play heavy hockey and here we are......Blues world champs. Gotta be able to play it all ways and not get chased off the rink.

St. Louis was able to get their Ferland type player in Patrick Maroon on a sweet heart deal, because Maroon wanted to be close to his family. They're the prime example of not overpaying for "heavy hockey".

Jim Benning has tried to make this team "harder to play against" since 2014 and has failed miserably, to hell with it. Make this team better at ice hockey.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Being tough doesn't mean a thing without the skills.

Just like being "nice" is no substitute for coaching talent, or talent, period.

Tom Sestito was tough, wasn't he?

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
This whole Edler debacle reinforces the common belief here that Benning has no comprehensible plan. Zero problems giving term to guys like Beagle and Roussel when our bottom 6 is already crowded, yet draws a line in the sand when it comes to one of the only top four defensemen we have.

You could argue (and I'd disagree with you) about the merit behind the Erikson signing given the Sedins were on the team, but this flip-flop has happened over the course of one year. I can't put together a cohesive, logical argument behind why you give term to 2, 30+ bottom 6 players but not to top 4 defensemen...unless there's already regret surrounding the former signings.

Yet, everything about Edler is exactly what Benning wishes Beagle/Roussel were: tough veterans who know how to win and can show the young guys how to play/what it takes. I just don't get it.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I have a radical idea. How about we go out and get Connolly and Ferland?

Because Ferland isn't that good, has really only produced next to elite linemates, and will be more overpaid based on "grit" and "toughness".

Connolly I wouldn't mind. But he'd probably come in at something like 4x4 at this point, which doesn't really represent much of a discount to me.

The only UFA forward I'd really target is Joonas Donskoi. He kinda fell out a favour in SJ and seems to not have that "reputation" factor, but he's an efficient scorer with good underlying numbers and microstats.

Reactions: Dissonance Jr

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing

Agreed.

I'm a huge fan of Connolly as well, but I can't see him putting up 25+ goals either.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This whole Edler debacle reinforces the common belief here that Benning has no comprehensible plan. Zero problems giving term to guys like Beagle and Roussel when our bottom 6 is already crowded, yet draws a line in the sand when it comes to one of the only top four defensemen we have.

You could argue (and I'd disagree with you) about the merit behind the Erikson signing given the Sedins were on the team, but this flip-flop has happened over the course of one year. I can't put together a cohesive, logical argument behind why you give term to 2, 30+ bottom 6 players but not to top 4 defensemen...unless there's already regret surrounding the former signings.

Yet, everything about Edler is exactly what Benning wishes Beagle/Roussel were: tough veterans who know how to win and can show the young guys how to play/what it takes. I just don't get it.

Any claims that Benning has any sort of cohesive plan are basically destroyed by the Beagle/Roussell last year vs. Edler this year situation.

It's just insanity that anyone could give 4-year term for someone else's 33 y/o middling 4th liner but draw the line at 2 years for your 33 y/o #1 defender who has been with the organization for 15 years.

It's just the most basic thing that you pay your top guys and go cheap on depth. Benning, as usual, has the whole thing backward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad