Management Thread - Read OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

Here is the link to our Site Rules:
Terms of Service and Rules | HFBoards - NHL Message Board and Forum for National Hockey League

I understand the management and direction of this team is divisive. Debate and disagreement is going to occur - and this is encouraged, as long as it is civil. I cannot stress enough - if you find something someone has said so disagreeable that you are feeling compelled to break the site rules in replying to them, just don't. If you feel that someone else is violating the site rules, report the post - do not respond in kind. This will get you in trouble as well.

Warnings, thread bans, forum bans and permanent bans will be applied where necessary to enforce the Site Rules. So please play within them.

Reactions: vanuck and Peter10

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016

I'd be ok with this if it meant signing a cheap free agent. Knowing Benning, he is going to sign Ferland or trade for Lucic. Anyways, size and toughness should be one of our last priorities. Finding a winger for Horvat, a third line centre that can play in the top 6 when there are injuries and most importantly, improving the blue line are all bigger needs.

Last edited:

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

This is a fascinating, well researched thread on how insanely rare it is for 1) a GM to keep their job after 4 years out of the playoffs and 2) how rare it is for them to even get a chance at making it 5 in a row.

Benning has the chance to be remembered amongst the worst general managers in NHL history.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

This is a fascinating, well researched thread on how insanely rare it is for 1) a GM to keep their job after 4 years out of the playoffs and 2) how rare it is for them to even get a chance at making it 5 in a row.

Benning has the chance to be remembered amongst the worst general managers in NHL history.

It also speaks to the rank insanity of the free ride he’s received here.

As long as Milbury and Tambellini managed to last, they were at least universally despised by their fan bases and took massive amounts of heat through those periods.

What has happened here is bizarre and unheard-of. One of the most incompetent management regimes in sports history and the media do nothing but cheerlead for them and the fanbase mostly thinks they’re great because we’ve stumbled into a couple young players. It’s just bonkers.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

As long as Milbury and Tambellini managed to last, they were at least universally despised by their fan bases and took massive amounts of heat through those periods.

What has happened here is bizarre and unheard-of. One of the most incompetent management regimes in sports history and the media do nothing but cheerlead for them and the fanbase mostly thinks they’re great because we’ve stumbled into a couple young players. It’s just bonkers.

My theory is its due to a near perfect confluence of events:

1. VAN was competitive for over 11 years straight. Right from the WCE era to the Sedins. Compared to other franchises, this one bought itself a lot of leeway with fans.

2. During their competitive streak, VAN never won the cup. This educates the fanbase on playoff hockey. It lets them know about talent, and what it takes to win the cup. By way of this, it highlights the critical nature of drafting.

3. So when Gillis was ousted and the super scout was hired by the favoured son, the fanbase was ready to draft. Ready for "pain".

4. When the favoured son realized what the ownership was really like, he left. This allowed Aqua to become a full on puppet master.

5. Aquilini is very aware of how meddlesome the fanbase and media thinks he is, so he keeps the puppet in house for an extended period of time.

So it's the perception of Aqua, the previous success of Canuck teams and the playoff education of the fanbase that has led us here. The fanbase is completely pliable. The brand is solid and the owner has a preferential set up with a puppet GM. It's only when the gate gets really hurt will the ownership do anything of significance with the front office.

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
My theory is its due to a near perfect confluence of events:

1. VAN was competitive for over 11 years straight. Right from the WCE era to the Sedins. Compared to other franchises, that buys the brand some leeway with its fanbase.

2. During their competitive streak, VAN never won the cup. This educates the fanbase. It lets them know about talent, and what it takes to win the cup. It highlights the critical nature of drafting.

3. So when Gillis was ousted and the super scout was hired by the favoured son, the fanbase was ready.

4. When the favoured son realized what the ownership was really liked, he left. This allowed Aqua to become a full on puppet master.

5. Aquilini is very aware of how meddlesome the fanbase and media thinks he is, so he keeps the puppet in house for an extended period of time.

So it's the perception of Aqua, the previous success of teams in VAN and the playoff education of the fanbase that has led us here. The fanbase is completely pliable. The brand is solid and the owner has a preferential set up with a puppet GM. It's only when the gate gets really hurt will the ownership do anything of significance with the front office.

Oh, absolutely. Benning was totally shielded from criticism by the fanbase's adoration of Linden through the first 4 years. But with Linden gone I expected that to change ... and it hasn't really.

The other thing you didn't list is that Mike Gillis didn't suffer fools and despised most of the local media. And ran a tight ship with limited access to scoops and interviews. The media hated him right back, couldn't wait to knife him in the back at the first sign of trouble, and have proceeded to delight in shilling for the incredibly open, accessible regime that's followed.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
It's only when the gate gets really hurt will the ownership do anything of significance with the front office.

This is what gets me - the gate *is* hurting. Their ticket rep got in touch with me last week - season tickets are starting at $2K and they include a free jersey, meal vouchers, and tickets to concerts at Rogers Center and the like.

I think Aquilini is trying to hire a Linden replacement for a while now and just hasn't been able to land a guy he likes.

Reactions: mossey3535

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
This is what gets me - the gate *is* hurting. Their ticket rep got in touch with me last week - season tickets are starting at $2K and they include a free jersey, meal vouchers, and tickets to concerts at Rogers Center and the like.

I think Aquilini is trying to hire a Linden replacement for a while now and just hasn't been able to land a guy he likes.
Anybody else would be a huge step down in terms of popularity from Linden. Smyl? How many (outside of myself heh) Canuckfans were old enough to even see him play? What Aquaman wants is another shill to sell tickets. Good luck.

Krnuckfan

Oct 11, 2006

The biggest reason why the casual fanbase hasn't turned on him yet is because they believe benning is some amateur drafting god.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
This is what gets me - the gate *is* hurting. Their ticket rep got in touch with me last week
Did they think you were going to fly in for games? :laugh:

Man, with the Blues about the break their Cup drought (leaving the Canucks in a very exclusive club with no end in sight) and Toronto teams I hate all doing well in several leagues, sports is just damn depressing right now and I wish I could cut the cord on them.

Reactions: travis scott

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Did they think you were going to fly in for games? :laugh:

Man, with the Blues about the break their Cup drought (leaving the Canucks in a very exclusive club with no end in sight) and Toronto teams I hate all doing well in several leagues, sports is just damn depressing right now and I wish I could cut the cord on them.

One of my life wealth goals is to be one of those rich guys who own season tickets to sports teams in other cities. Not there yet but I'll stay on his rolodex!

St. Louis has been such a well run team for so long, and it still took them 52 years to win a Cup. You wonder how long it will take the Canucks.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
One of my life wealth goals is to be one of those rich guys who own season tickets to sports teams in other cities. Not there yet but I'll stay on his rolodex!

St. Louis has been such a well run team for so long, and it still took them 52 years to win a Cup. You wonder how long it will take the Canucks.

that's what I hate about a 30, 31 and soon to be 32 league team. You can expect to see
a) a cup roughly every 32 year
b) you win a few in close succession then don't see another for the rest of your life (see current Maple Leafs of this example).
c) miss your few windows and die without seeing a cup (see vancouver/Buffalo)
d) hog all the cups and make sure C happens to some other team

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Oh, absolutely. Benning was totally shielded from criticism by the fanbase's adoration of Linden through the first 4 years. But with Linden gone I expected that to change ... and it hasn't really.

Most of them threw their support behind Benning because of Linden. They committed too hard, too often to defending and repeating the empty phrases. Walking away from Benning means admitting they were idiots. "Rebuilding is for loesers!!!". It isn't going to happen while they can keep changing the argument, "hey look we are rebuilding! look at all the top 10 picks!". They will continue to support Benning and ride the rebuild they opposed for at least another years.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany

There is more

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Jesus, that guy sure knows where to find that info.
On another note, holy **** Bo is gonna be 25 this upcoming season, basically entering his prime.

He isnt entering it, he is right there. Which makes the sad state of this club even worse.

Reactions: Hemty

Carnal

May 29, 2018
I'm thinking Benning should definitely chase the St Louis model and start acquiring players that are actually good at hockey.
Are you insinuating you would not rather have the contracts of Eriksson, Beagle, Sutter, Spooner and Schaller over the financially comparable contracts of ROR, Tarasenko and Schenn?

You're just being negative!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad