Management Thread: Living In The Matrix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Notice all the falsehoods slipped into a single post - there never was a first rebuild, so any future rebuild if it were to happen would be the first. Not to mention that paying 4th liners $3M is moronic, regardless of term.

Finally, what would it be without good ol' wait and see - "I feel confident next season we'll be back in the swing of things" (whatever that means).

Guess what I feel confident about?
How about giving Jay Beagle not only 3 million with term but a NTC as well? The perfect trifecta of stupidity! But Gillis!

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
What does Marky have to do with what I said? Kind of an extreme. So now they should've given Markstrom 6x6? And lose Demko in expansion?

Would've been a bad decision IMO, glad they didn't.

I was looking at the other options, Cam Talbot & Thomas Griess are the most obvious alternatives, both signed for 3.6.

Beyond that your looking at names like Dell, Kinkaid.. maybe Malcolm Subban. Now it doesn't rly matter who the backup is, but I can't imagine they would've been applauded for going into the season W/ Demko & one of them as the tandem.

Choosing Demko over Markstrom was the wise decision IMO. And what's the obsession here with Gillis..?
Gillis wasn’t mentioned in your quotes.

Again, in this hypothetical did they add better defensive depth.

If they signed a cheap backup and Demko struggled you say....well the pandemic, no preseason, tough division, not playing all the teams...because you shockingly rebooted last years team regardless.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
What does Marky have to do with what I said? Kind of an extreme. So now they should've given Markstrom 6x6? And lose Demko in expansion?

Would've been a bad decision IMO, glad they didn't.

I was looking at the other options, Cam Talbot & Thomas Griess are the most obvious alternatives, both signed for 3.6.

Beyond that your looking at names like Dell, Kinkaid.. maybe Malcolm Subban. Now it doesn't rly matter who the backup is, but I can't imagine they would've been applauded for going into the season W/ Demko & one of them as the tandem.

Choosing Demko over Markstrom was the wise decision IMO. And what's the obsession here with Gillis..?
We don’t lose Demko in ED if we trade him as sweetener to dump Loui after the bubble, now do we?

Reactions: I am toxic

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
and the Canucks not being a destination for other players who want to win...No matter how you slice it..6-7 consecutive years out of the post season is a very bad look , and can just as easily devolve into a 'losing culture' or a 2nd rebuild.

There's no guarantees.

Being a destination hardly matters if you're not concerned about making big splashes in UFA. The focus should be on drafting and building up the prospect pool anyway.

You realize what you're saying though right? That you're okay with them wasting future assets and cap space all for one player's sake - prioritizing him over the franchise's long-term outlook.

I don't even know if you actually believe the things you write.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
People who suggest the only alternative option is losing Demko in the expansion draft are just stacking the deck. Clearly he’s traded or moves are made to assure he’s protected.

Just because they lost a bunch of key players for free doesn’t mean that’s the inevitable outcome. Maybe for Jimbo but not for a competent manager.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Being a destination hardly matters if you're not concerned about making big splashes in UFA. The focus should be on drafting and building up the prospect pool anyway.

You realize what you're saying though right? That you're okay with them wasting future assets and cap space all for one player's sake - prioritizing him over the franchise's long-term outlook.

I don't even know if you actually believe the things you write.
You can draft and build up your prospect pool, and get stuck in that cycle for years..no guarantees there.
Anyway, the 'sky is falling' as far as you're concerned, and nothing I say will change your outlook..So our conversation is pointless.
Have a good day.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Quinn Hughes, Rathbone, Juolevi, Woo..
Which of those guys has shown an ability to control play at ES in high leverage minutes?

You can’t possibly be implying that Hughes, Rathbone, and Juolevi have a future together on a contending blueline, right?

This seems like naming names without thinking about roster construction.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
In this hypothetical did we keep Tanev or Toffoli?

I’ll never understand how folks who witnessed the Ryan Miller era want to support doing the same thing 7 seasons later.

It was a waste of precious cap space the moment it was announced.

Because Eddie Lack turned into an all-star goalie....? Markstroms development didn't turn out great? And your not getting either guy if you signed Talbot or Griess.

The most important thing is Demko. Is it not reasonable to suggest a goalie capable of sharing the net mightve been beneficial entering the year - rather than the sink/swim route? Whether Holtby is that guy or not is a fine argument, but the price tag for that starts at 3.6.

And if not - then that's fine too but as I said I don't think the anti-Benning side would've been applauding an Aaron Dell signing on October 9th.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
The team is currently rebuilt.(the young core, not the supporting cast).How they got there is a long story.
I don’t disagree that Benning believes there is a new young core. I disagree with giving up a first, second, third, and Madden when he did to get Miller and Tofu. To me the young core isn’t complete. These types of trades were ill timed.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Which of those guys has shown an ability to control play at ES in high leverage minutes?

You can’t possibly be implying that Hughes, Rathbone, and Juolevi have a future together on a contending blueline, right?

There are other options to fill in the blanks via trades ,signings etc...I'm just stating that we do indeed have young assets on D...Not that they will be playing together.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

A high first rounder from last draft certainly would have gone a long way to getting that kind of d man. Whether via as a trade chip, or through the draft, it would have helped round out the young D.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I don’t disagree that Benning believes there is a new young core. I disagree with giving up a first, second, third, and Madden when he did to get Miller and Tofu. To me the young core isn’t complete. These types of trades were ill timed.
I like the Miller deal..The fact that Benning couldn't re-sign Toffoli after giving up those assets , does not look good on him.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Dab

Apr 17, 2017
And when Markstrom is injured & declining with years remaining on his contract, I wouldn't have wanted to hear a peep out of you about it being another bad Benning contract.
At its worst, signing Markstrom to another 6 year deal wouldn’t do the damage the Eriksson deal has done, not even a percentage.

I think moving on from Markstrom is a fine direction to take, but is particularly hard to swallow when you see how badly the cap has been mismanaged to this point. Add the losses of Stecher, Tanev and Toffoli in similar ways and you begin to see the total sum damage of Benning’s contracts.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Because Eddie Lack turned into an all-star goalie....? Markstroms development didn't turn out great? And your not getting either guy if you signed Talbot or Griess.

The most important thing is Demko. Is it not reasonable to suggest a goalie capable of sharing the net mightve been beneficial entering the year - rather than the sink/swim route? Whether Holtby is that guy or not is a fine argument, but the price tag for that starts at 3.6.

And if not - then that's fine too but as I said I don't think the anti-Benning side would've been applauding an Aaron Dell signing on October 9th.
Sorry I asked you’re just rambling now.

No need to make this about pro and anti. That’s the trademark of Losing the discussion.

Eddie lack dragged the team to the playoffs and was a tradeable asset. Markstrom a Vezina level team mvp.

Ryan Miller just wasted time and money. Same as Holtby.

People have posted that letting Markstrom walk made sense if they reinvested their money into the defence. Not a guy you hope plays less than half the games.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
And when Markstrom is injured & declining with years remaining on his contract, I wouldn't have wanted to hear a peep out of you about it being another bad Benning contract.
Why is Marky, the Vezina level team MVP goalie, the problem? Clearly we had an opportunity to manage assets better, and failed. Then, after “running out of time” to manage those assets Benning adds another bad contract in Holtby. Just terrible.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
There are other options to fill in the blanks via trades ,signings etc...I'm just stating that we do indeed have young assets on D...Not that they will be playing together.
You do understand how difficult it is to acquire guys who can play high leverage minutes, correct?

They need to likely draft one of those this year. The only one they’ve acquired in seven years is Nate Schmidt.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
At its worst, signing Markstrom to another 6 year deal wouldn’t do the damage the Eriksson deal has done, not even a percentage.

I think moving on from Markstrom is a fine direction to take, but is particularly hard to swallow when you see how badly the cap has been mismanaged to this point. Add the losses of Stecher, Tanev and Toffoli and you begin to see the total sum damage of Benning’s contracts.
Agreed. Can accept losing Marky (and all those mentioned) providing it’s part of a greater plan. But clearly Benning has no plan, and (in his own words) manages “day to day”

Reactions: vanuck
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad