Continue here.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I think Toffoli is a better player than Kase, healthier too. Cap wise, i can understand, but today, I'd much rather have Toffoli on the team. If we extend him, the trade looks less bad

I mean, Toffoli vs Kase isn't even relevant.

It's dump six mil in dead cap next season or have Toffoli for 20 games this season. It's a large benefit tomorrow or a tiny benefit today. It's the marshmallow test, basically.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Seems very unlikely a GM is going to take a 150lb, 20 year old Tyler Madden over a 1st rd pick...

*pre Madden trade* Canucks have a real good one here, plays similar to Brayden Point, skilled player cant wait, Benning has done it again.

*post Madden trade* An absolute shrimp, 150 pounds are you kidding me he'll be destroyed in this league, in fact we should have traded him sooner, astute move by the GM.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
*pre Madden trade* Canucks have a real good one here, plays similar to Brayden Point, skilled player cant wait, Benning has done it again.

*post Madden trade* An absolute shrimp, 150 pounds are you kidding me he'll be destroyed in this league, in fact we should have traded him sooner, astute move by the GM.

Yeah, this. I damn near got whiplash listening to the talking heads on SN650 put their spin on this trade.

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa
Yeah comparing the two trades is painful.

The Bruins dump 6M of dead cap from next year's roster and obtain an actual long term asset in Kase. Honestly the difference in asset value between their first round pick and Tyler Madden is probably nothing (I might prefer Madden to 29th overall or something.)

Why couldn't we do this kind of deal to dump Eriksson or Sutter or something? That would have been way more valuable than 20 games of Tyler Toffoli.

And make someone like that same poster who didn't want Madden to be traded and then fliped his back like a paid bot understand that? Too difficult, I guess.

Reactions: vanuck

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
And an American to boot. Sun Belt guy. Trumper. Hates Canada.

No way he would have signed here. Jim was being pro active.
Considering many of these posters have more in common with the Orange Julius Caesar crowd. Low information, hypocritical, and the very vocal few are so culted up they are lucky the branch davidians didn’t get them first.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
they are lucky the branch davidians didn’t get them first.
Or the Ivan Druryans ;)

That revolution thing? My bad

Former leader of anti-war group apologizes, reveals secrets, says it is a “cult”

https://www.macleans.ca/education/unian ... -im-sorry/

Longtime protest organizer Ivan Drury to lead 'anti-RCMP checkpoint' in Surrey on Thursday

In the prepared statement, Drury said the protest at the RCMP E-Division's Green Timbers Way headquarters would start with speakers, "before a more disruptive direct action."

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-new ... n-thursday
Anti-poverty activists arrested at Maple Ridge homeless camp

https://globalnews.ca/news/5081064/anti ... less-camp/

What Island tent cities have in common: a guiding hand from Surrey

https://www.timescolonist.com/news/loca ... 1.23447044

Reactions: Dave Lister

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019

*pre Madden trade* What complete morons for passing on Jake Wise to draft a kid with no production. Benning is a hopeless dinosaur!

*post Madden trade* This kid is worth more than a 1st rd pick!

Can't the guy be a great pick, but also a tiny, 150lb 20 year old that wouldn't garner as much interest as a 1st rd pick?

Seems pretty obvious all of these things are correct. It should go without saying.

Reactions: VancouverJagger

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Guess you are one of the ones not pleased about drafting Pettersson and Hughes. Both were criticized for their size. Interesting.

No, I supported the pick, because the scouting staff earned the benefit of the doubt. It certainly wasn't a very popular opinion though.

Was just another huge mistake by an idiot GM. A mistake that everyone knew right from the get-go wa going to come back and bite them.

I still think Madden will be an NHL player. Doesn't mean he would garner more interest in trade than a 1st rd pick. He wouldn't.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014

Did anyone say anything that could reasonably have be construed to be similar to either of these statements?

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Considering many of these posters have more in common with the Orange Julius Caesar crowd. Low information, hypocritical, and the very vocal few are so culted up they are lucky the branch davidians didn’t get them first.
Regardless of how bad he turned out to be, you could also make the argument that the anti-Benning people have more in common with the initial MAGA movement, which was a rejection of the status quo and the establishment.

Currently? Yeah, absolutely. Initially? Pro-Benning people are more like Jeb Bush or Hillary supporters.

But, I digress.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Regardless of how bad he turned out to be, you could also make the argument that the anti-Benning people have more in common with the initial MAGA movement, which was a rejection of the status quo and the establishment.

Currently? Yeah, absolutely. Initially? Pro-Benning people are more like Jeb Bush or Hillary supporters.

But, I digress.
Since your avatar used to be Sam Hyde, this comparison doesn't surprise me.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Since your avatar used to be Sam Hyde, this comparison doesn't surprise me.
giphy.gif

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Somehow some idiots think benning isnt an idiot, and/or think toffoli is better than kase. Probably the same know nothings that thought coleman was a 4th line grinder or never heard of him at all.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
You only have to read..Gillis..out of the box hiring...and Benning ..ex player who never held the reigns before (completely ignoring that he was a scout,Director of Scouting,and AGM previously) to know where this rant was headed...stopped reading after that.

You should read the rest.

Unless you want to desperately hold on to your flawed view of Jim Benning.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Are you not acknowledging that the Canucks would be dumping twice as much salary with Eriksson? And still be left holding the bag with $3mil in dead cap space over 2 years.

You're probably looking at the Canucks 1st in '21, Hoglander and another quality asset to unload Eriksson, at least. Seems very unlikely a GM is going to take a 150lb, 20 year old Tyler Madden over a 1st rd pick...

Spin doctor?

Give your head a shake for this one.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Yeah comparing the two trades is painful.

The Bruins dump 6M of dead cap from next year's roster and obtain an actual long term asset in Kase. Honestly the difference in asset value between their first round pick and Tyler Madden is probably nothing (I might prefer Madden to 29th overall or something.)

Why couldn't we do this kind of deal to dump Eriksson or Sutter or something? That would have been way more valuable than 20 games of Tyler Toffoli.

While yes you hope Benning could be a bit more creative I don't think the Backes deal is something to get worked up over. Backes contract ends next season, Eriksson has one more year after. Boston had their 1st rounder to trade, we already traded ours. And finally if anyone has a good shot with him it's probably Boston but otherwise Kase is looking like Joffrey Lupul-lite. Boston was trying to ditch Backes so they were going to take what they could get, but the fact that the rebuilding Ducks moved 24 year old Kase for a pick and a prospect should say a lot.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Did anyone say anything that could reasonably have be construed to be similar to either of these statements?

I made a direct quote of a poster who, without fail, will bring up his weight to denigrate him now that he is no longer in our system despite no one actually being that concerned about him before the trade given his high end skill shining through.

It's just unabashed spin at this point and it's just so transparent—it's like a switch has flipped.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Until we win a playoff round I think it’s all justified. We haven’t won a round since 2011. In a league where over 50% of the teams make the playoffs that’s pretty abysmal.

Reactions: I am toxic

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Until we win a playoff round I think it’s all justified. We haven’t won a round since 2011. In a league where over 50% of the teams make the playoffs that’s pretty abysmal.
Maybe so, but it's just hockey. It's an outlet for me, a distraction not an obsession. I'm pretty intrigued by the sudden presence of two superstars ages 21 and 20 at the two key positions of center and defence. I have followed this team forever and never seen this before. It's exciting.

The negativity seems misplaced to me, but that's my problem and it's up to me to find a way to avoid it. No one else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad