Management Thread...less Jack Burton.

Continue here.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Was reading the Brackett thread and I realized that we're all missing something when we argue about whether or not smoke means fire.

A better question is, why does a management team whose only arguably bright spot is scouting restructure responsibility so that their top two managers are going to spend more time scouting? I mean I hope Chris Gear does well but he's very inexperienced - is the cap/contract situation guaranteed to improve? Supposedly he now negotiated the Edler deal? I mean good for him but that was the management equivalent of taking candy from a baby.

So contracts are now Gear's domain....JB/JW are off to _amateur_ scout. Because we don't have enough pro scouting issues that have led to terrible signings and trades...

It seems absolutely insane for me for us to double down on our strength in an area that has been largely shown to be a crapshoot, when it's all the other aspects of being a GM that have seemingly given Benning trouble. And their solution to contracts/cap is to pawn off responsibility on a rookie and put that rookie into a situation where the cap is already f***ed and the only thing that can unf*** it isn't signing better future contracts but to offload our dead weight...which is a pro scouting/trade issue and I don't see the steps they've taken to try to improve that aspect.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Was reading the Brackett thread and I realized that we're all missing something when we argue about whether or not smoke means fire.

A better question is, why does a management team whose only arguably bright spot is scouting restructure responsibility so that their top two managers are going to spend more time scouting? I mean I hope Chris Gear does well but he's very inexperienced - is the cap/contract situation guaranteed to improve? Supposedly he now negotiated the Edler deal? I mean good for him but that was the management equivalent of taking candy from a baby.

So contracts are now Gear's domain....JB/JW are off to _amateur_ scout. Because we don't have enough pro scouting issues that have led to terrible signings and trades...

It seems absolutely insane for me for us to double down on our strength in an area that has been largely shown to be a crapshoot, when it's all the other aspects of being a GM that have seemingly given Benning trouble. And their solution to contracts/cap is to pawn off responsibility on a rookie and put that rookie into a situation where the cap is already ****ed and the only thing that can un**** it isn't signing better future contracts but to offload our dead weight...which is a pro scouting/trade issue and I don't see the steps they've taken to try to improve that aspect.

Machiavelli could take lessons from Benning.

Reactions: Jack Burton and DS7

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014

It seems absolutely insane for me for us to double down on our strength in an area that has been largely shown to be a crapshoot, when it's all the other aspects of being a GM that have seemingly given Benning trouble. And their solution to contracts/cap is to pawn off responsibility on a rookie and put that rookie into a situation where the cap is already ****ed and the only thing that can un**** it isn't signing better future contracts but to offload our dead weight...which is a pro scouting/trade issue and I don't see the steps they've taken to try to improve that aspect.
One of Weisbrod's main stated tasks as AGM was already amateur scouting, and his most notable activity as a professional scout was doing most or all of the negotiating for the Gudbranson/McCann trade:

Judd Bracket is ... an amateur scout. The situation you're describing isn't attrition of talent from professional scouting and negotiation, it's reassigning someone who was terrible at it to another set of tasks and promoting someone else.

Funny how when a circumstance comes to pass in which viewing Weisbrod positively can be used as the basis of a strained, side-long criticism of management, suddenly people go from hating him to assuming he's useful.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

I think you're misconstruing Gear's resume. Gear has been working with Jonathan Wall on the cap since 2015. He's also been negotiating contracts for the team at least since last summer. As an experienced corporate lawyer he should be qualified to interpret the CBA and negotiate contracts. Benning isn't going manage the cap better travelling with the team vs out scouting.

It's also important to point out that Benning never specifically mentioned that he will be doing amateur scouting only. Many posters have have simply assumed that he's going to primarily scout amateurs because that's his background. He may very well do some of it but he might also be thinking about making a trip to Europe or making more trips to Utica to watch the Comets play. Benning has talked about wanting to spend more time on the road scouting since the beginning when talking about the President and GM structure. The fact is that it hasn't really happened. We heard from Comets posters that Benning is seen like one time a year. Utica being so far away makes it hard for Benning to just stop by and watch Comets games. It would be prudent for Benning to spend more time watching our prospects play in Utica rather than rely on Johnson and Cull.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
One of Weisbrod's main stated tasks as AGM was already amateur scouting, and his most notable activity as a professional scout was doing most or all of the negotiating for the Gudbranson/McCann trade:

Judd Bracket is ... an amateur scout. The situation you're describing isn't attrition of talent from professional scouting and negotiation, it's reassigning someone who was terrible at it to another set of tasks and promoting someone else.

Funny how when a circumstance comes to pass in which viewing Weisbrod positively can be used as the basis of a strained, side-long criticism of management, suddenly people go from hating him to assuming he's useful.

I might just fire the person who was incompetent at the job they were hired to do.

Like can you imagine what Amazon would and Bezos would do if his second in command was as bad as that trade was? That trade was so bad it was laughed at by the panthers. So yeah lets not fire him or demote him, lets just move him to a different part of the company...

I mean when the hawks screwed up on those contracts in their window, they fired and rightly so their GM.

What kind of company does this?

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
I might just fire the person who was incompetent at the job they were hired to do.

Like can you imagine what Amazon would and Bezos would do if his second in command was as bad as that trade was? That trade was so bad it was laughed at by the panthers. So yeah lets not fire him or demote him, lets just move him to a different part of the company...

I mean when the hawks screwed up on those contracts in their window, they fired and rightly so their GM.

What kind of company does this?
You're supporting the opposite conclusion of the person I responded to, who seemed to suggest that reassigning Weisbrod left the team at a disadvantage. Frankly, I might fire him too.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
You're supporting the opposite conclusion of the person I responded to, who seemed to suggest that reassigning Weisbrod left the team at a disadvantage. Frankly, I might fire him too.

I don't care who I am supporting or not in terms of argument.

I do think you should be fired for being incompetent which I feel pretty confident he has.

I feel the same about Benning and Green too, but that is a different conversation.

GFY

Touhou Fanatic
Dec 21, 2013
Richmond, B.C.
Schaller I agree with but poor Beagle is out there risking life and limb throwing himself in front of pucks on every pk. It puzzles me as to why he's always lumped in with the non contributors when there's Antoine Roussel floating around with his head on a swivel not working up a sweat doing his best to avoid physical contact and get back to the bench safely without getting his hair mussed up. I really don't get it sometimes.
The reason I lump in Beagle with Schaller is because his contract is atrocious for what he brings, but also our PK is quite average boardering below average this season. While I respect what Beagle does on the PK, I feel we have other players who can fill that role, and again for much less of a salary than he's currently making. As for Roussel, the only reason I'm giving him a pass is because he was quite effective last season and has come back from an injury that kept him out for half the year, otherwise I would probably include him with both of them.

Last edited:

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006

If it's true that Weisbrod is responsible for negotiating the teams worst trade in, I don't know the last decade, then that makes me hate him more.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Wowwww so my argument is that doubling down on strength when we have so many weaknesses doesn't make sense, and the counter-argument is that Weisbrod sucks at his job so it's a positive that they are moving him to amateur scouting so that he won't hurt us anymore?

Didn't we also establish earlier that Gear DOESN'T have much experience as a corporate lawyer, let alone one who is going to now negotiate multi-million dollar contracts? That's what I recall.

Ok, so maybe now the question should be - why double down on amateur scouting when so many other areas need work more, and Gear may or may not improve it over Weisbrod. I guess you'd be implying that Benning doing more amateur scouting than he's already doing (which we've all assumed has been a lot) is also adding to the management team's strengths by subtracting his incompetence from other areas.

So in the end, the real question is - why do any of these guys have jobs?

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas

without saying it, he’s basically saying he doesn’t like Benning much. He would save himself a lot of time giving the same roundabout answers if he would just say “Jim and I did not see eye-to-eye on some philosophical aspects of the management of the team, so I stepped aside as to not create any problems for the organization...I wish him the best going forward”...or just come out and drop the hammer on Benning as a backstabbing snake in the grass. lol

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Can't believe Linden was the fall guy, not the guy who was incompetent at his job for the first four years. Imagine learning on the job for four years while being the GM of a $750 million franchise.

To be fair, Linden pushed to extend Benning so he is not totally clean in all this. If not for his extreme poor judgment at that time, things might look a lot better today.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
To be fair, Linden pushed to extend Benning so he is not totally clean in all this. If not for his extreme poor judgment at that time, things might look a lot better today.

I question anyone’s judgement if they can sit and listen to Jim Benning speak in a professional setting (i.e. a job interview) and come away so impressed you give him the keys to an NHL franchise.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Let's not forget Linden's big hire, Willie Desjardins. Then refusing to fire him when everyone realized it was a no-brainer.

Trevor Linden is a text-book empty suit. Good riddance.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Let's not forget Linden's big hire, Willie Desjardins. Then refusing to fire him when everyone realized it was a no-brainer.

That blew up in Linden's face, Desjardins was clearly out of his league and he's no longer in the league.
Back at junior where he belongs, guy was a tire fire at coaching who did not understand the basics of the X and O's.

People rag on Travis Green but at least he is competent of an NHL coach than Willie was.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas

i blame the Aquilini’s for hiring him in the first place...this was a PR move and one that wasn’t at all substantive...I think that they felt that Pat Quinn was going to be able to be a support system for the green Linden but he unfortunately passed away. The Aquilini’s were trying to build back confidence in the team after a few horrendous seasons and Linden being a fan favorite was going to help keep the fan base on board. Linden definitely has some blame in this, but he was clearly out of his league and placed squarely there by ownership. Still have a lot of respect for him as a Canuck but glad he’s no longer involved in management. Now if only we could get rid of Benning and Weisbrod.

Reactions: mossey3535
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad