Management Thread | Is a Reckoning coming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Many were asking in the last thread for a poll ranking Bennings seven years on a scale of 1-10, could that be added OP?

in the negatives. i mean, even given our negativity going in, these last seven years have consistently been worse than our worst imaginable scenario.

sbisa, worse than anyone could have imagined. sutter, worse than anyone could have imagined. eriksson, worse than anyone could have imagined. gudbranson, worse than anyone could have imagined.

How does it change so drastically "in the last few days"? We've had 7 years of this bullshit and the past few days is the trigger? lol...doesn't say much about Francesco.

lol the airplane banner worked

Geoff Courtnall is a very very boring choice to be a top exec I agree.

Is just an allegation of sexual assault a death sentence these days though? They denied it, grad jury did not even pursue charges. This is ancient history. Does no one have the right to due process anymore?

you should do some reading up on how that all went down. even if it was “consensual,” which it doesn’t sound like it was, it is incredibly disturbing.

polloqpiu

May 20, 2018
If it took 7 years of idiocy, errors, interviews with childish speech for benning to not be sellable to the fan base anymore, we deserve benning. I also love his interviews to be honest and it makes me feel smart, like if a brainless buffoon can get a job I also might be able to. I hope he remains and Im sure we'll win a cup in 2 years with our foundational and age gap players that we aquired rebuilding but saying to the media we weren't rebuilding while doing not rebuilding moves but according to some actually rebuilding. I vote for Benning to stay 9 more years

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
I can GM the team.

My credentials:

1st place in my 14 team hockey pool 3 out of the past 4 years.

I can admit to being wrong.

I have a university degree and can communicate without lots of "ya knows" and "ums."

lawrence

May 19, 2012
The knock against Gillis is always that he took over a team that already had some great pieces in place and ran with it. (and scouting but that's another point.) This team has some great pieces in place... why not let Mike come in and run with it again?

the great pieces nonis couldn’t do shit with.

Reactions: vanuck and rypper

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I wonder why he deleted it.

When Burke fired Weisbrod, he was quoted that he "had no clue what (Weisbrod) he did around here."

When he tweeted Canucks will add a dman within the week, he also removed it shortly. But the tweets were clearly active.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
"Finally, after seven seasons, and missing the playoffs in five of those seven seasons, for Vancouver, it's a wonderful day for an exorcism."

Burrows being with MTL and MTL making the Canucks their bitch this year and taking the final playoff spot.

He is still the dragon slayer!

Reactions: vanuck

KingofSurrey

Jan 15, 2020
in da hood
If Generous Jim was a pirate......

d35z0yx-eedb69e4-e655-4579-a0f3-6be563ff9c2a.gif

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I can GM the team.

My credentials:

I have a university degree and can communicate without lots of "ya knows" and "ums."
Sounds like you might think for yourself too much. YOU'RE clearly out pal

Reactions: The Vasili Jerry

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
If it took 7 years of idiocy, errors, interviews with childish speech for benning to not be sellable to the fan base anymore, we deserve benning. I also love his interviews to be honest and it makes me feel smart, like if a brainless buffoon can get a job I also might be able to. I hope he remains and Im sure we'll win a cup in 2 years with our foundational and age gap players that we aquired rebuilding but saying to the media we weren't rebuilding while doing not rebuilding moves but according to some actually rebuilding. I vote for Benning to stay 9 more years
Only nine?

Hatter!

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
That’s what they respond to as I mentioned in the previous thread. They don’t recognize good work or shitty work. They only recognize if the media and fan base is basically united one way or the other. So I’m not surprised the rumbles from ownership are completely different now than it was in February because there is a 180 with the media and fans.

Again I’m not going to write off people with limited experience. If they are smart and good managers and are allowed to hire who they need it can be just fine. I firmly believe a big chunk of being a General Manager is the Manager portion of that name. They need not have to be a scout or life long hockey man. They just need to be able to provide direction, expectations and resources.

It may not be so simple. If it's true that Benning has stayed on at FA's insistence, it might be more that critiques of Benning are being interpreted as critiques of FA, by FA. And this is independent of the possibility (probability?) that FA is meddling through Benning's acquiescence. If Benning staying on is an ego thing with FA, it could explain why every ruinous signing and misstep is viewed through rose colored glasses. Because otherwise, it would mean that FA made a mistake and picked the wrong guy.

Regardless, I hope to God this thing has legs. Seeing a real house cleaning rather than just Green taking the fall would be huge for this team.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Indeed. Imagine if Benning is canned and the gentleman in your avatar is promoted to GM.

Nah, that was always a strange theory anyway. Yeah promote Weisbrod who is being held back by Benning. Maybe to even be his boss. The things people come up with in the Vancouver twittersphere sometimes.

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013

tweet has been removed.

as we know Rick dhaliwal who broke the Ericsson, beagle, rouselle, and edler signings before it happened also tweeted the famous “Canucks will land a dman within the week” tweet 3 days later we get Nate s, tweeted this.

Lmao, the guy is such a weasel. How he got this job is beyond me. I’ve always asked myself wtf does he do?

Petey O

I can teach you how to play gicky gackers
Feb 26, 2021
Brock Boeser
Mike Gillis and Laurence Gilman come on down.

President Gillis and GM Gilman would be fantastic. Bring in a strong analytics up and comer as an assistant GM (as I'm sure Gillis and Gilman would hire).

Imagine a redemption tour where they build a cup winning team this time after so many years of pain from that 2011 loss.

Just absolutely delicious.

We would go from one of the worst run organisations in all of sports, to one of the best practically over night. What a transformation that would be.

I'd take Davidson and Gorton too in a second.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I can GM the team.

My credentials:

It is so sad that I definitely believe that you no name stranger could literally do a better job than Benning, with only those qualifications. I'd prob bet my exes life on it.

Reactions: vanuck, PM and MS

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Lmao, the guy is such a weasel. How he got this job is beyond me. I’ve always asked myself wtf does he do?

in another thread, i said that if the canucks were the movie miller’s crossing, gillis would be gabriel byrne and aqua would be jon polito furiously screaming about getting the high hat

in this analogy, weisbrod is john turturro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad