Management Thread II - Read OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
"We have Daniel and Henrik Sedin here, who are very important to this organization and icons in the city. They're not going anywhere. I don't know how I walk into the room and tell these guys, 'Strip it down.' I'm not sure it's fair to these guys," said Linden....2016.

Also,..Linden was Bennings boss, and had a long association with the Sedins (as ex teammates)..so there would definitely be more of an allegiance to the Sedins on Lindens part.

Last edited:

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
"We have Daniel and Henrik Sedin here, who are very important to this organization and icons in the city. They're not going anywhere. I don't know how I walk into the room and tell these guys, 'Strip it down.' I'm not sure it's fair to these guys," said Linden....2016.

I do agree that Linden wanted to give the Sedins a competitive team the last few years, but him and Jim Benning agreed on this direction. Linden changed his mind about the directin of the team aND was fired.

Reactions: geebaan and Peter10

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

I do agree that Linden wanted to give the Sedins a competitive team the last few years, but him and Jim Benning agreed on this direction. Linden changed his mind about the directin of the team aND was fired.

Well..the proof of whether Linden was right or wrong will be there on the ice this season for all to see.

Also,..on the matter of Benning and Linden agreeing on the initial direction in 2014..That too, has question marks...Aqualini refused Gillis a 'teardown ' in 2013 ,why would he grant it to Linden and Benning a year later?

Last edited:

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I assume when judging what viewpoint/plan was the correct one we aren’t going to ignore, oh I don’t know, this past season where the team once again missed the playoffs by double digits right?

Presumably the Linden plan was to likely miss playoffs and get a high pick, move vets and salary for picks. Instead under the Benning plan they missed the playoffs, had a high pick, put themselves at the cap such that bonus money is likely to hurt next seasons cap, a high pick was traded and no picks stockpiled....

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Whether Linden truly believed it or not – keeping in mind everything he said in interviews seemed to be some on-the-fly attempt to defend whatever Benning was doing at that moment in time – I still shake my head in disbelief at the idea that Henrik and Daniel needed to be placated by losing loads of games with middling vets, instead of losing loads of games while rebuilding with youth and gathering assets.

Like, the Sedins aren't irrational morons.

Last edited:

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Whether Linden truly believed it or not – keeping in mind everything he said in interviews seemed to be some on-the-fly attempt to defend whatever Benning was doing at that moment in time – I still shake my head at disbelief in the idea that Henrik and Daniel needed to be placated by losing loads of games with middling vets, instead of losing loads of games while rebuilding with youth and gathering assets.

Like, the Sedins aren't irrational morons.

One of the most infuriating lines was "we can't go to the Sedins and tell them we're rebuilding" from Linden.

Trevor, yes, yes you can say that. "This is the plan, would you like to be part of it and if not we will work together to find a good fit"

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

Also,..Linden was Bennings boss, and had a long association with the Sedins (as ex teammates)..so there would definitely be more of an allegiance to the Sedins on Lindens part.

Supposition.

You are superimposing Linden’s familiarity with the Sedins onto the decision to keep the Sedins.

Next, you are assuming that this decision was Linden’s and not Benning’s own.

Finally, you are assuming that Linden and Benning were not aligned with said decision when there is no evidence otherwise.

How many breaks in logic do you want to include in one post?

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
And if he wasn’t ordered to make them, the problem was that his hands were tied somehow.
gilllisss_zpsbsgcciok.jpg

Damn him for inventing the idea of trading security for salary to keep a contender together!

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
One of the most infuriating lines was "we can't go to the Sedins and tell them we're rebuilding" from Linden.

Trevor, yes, yes you can say that. "This is the plan, would you like to be part of it and if not we will work together to find a good fit"

Ya Linden was off to a bad start when he lied about being contacted by Aquilini. Some odd comments followed afterwards. Maybe he consulted the team's PR development before saying that. Who knows.

Reactions: timw33

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Well..the proof of whether Linden was right or wrong will be there on the ice this season for all to see.

Also,..on the matter of Benning and Linden agreeing on the initial direction in 2014..That too, has question marks...Aqualini refused Gillis a 'teardown ' in 2013 ,why would he grant it to Linden and Benning a year later?
Why is it always "wait and see" when defending Benning? When do we actually go back and evaluate everything that we have been waiting on?

Wait until he can clear out Bieksa, Burrows, Higgins etc. Those NTC are killing the Canucks! So how did the Canucks look in 2015-18 once Benning moved those killer NTC contracts?

Wait until the Sedins are gone. They're blocking our youth! Still 10 points back of a playoff spot in one of the weakest playoff races in years.

Wait until Linden is gone. He was the one stopping the rebuild! So, uh, where are all the rebuild moves now?

Wait until the trade deadline. The Vrbata, Vanek, Gagner, etc contracts are rebuilding moves that will get the Canucks high picks! Still waiting.

Wait until the draft. Benning can recoup picks then! Still waiting.

Wait until Gudbranson is healthy! Wait until Sutter has a bigger role! Wait until Vey and Pedan and Pouliot and Clendening aren't buired on deep teams! Wait until Granlund has a healthy wrist! Wait until Eriksson adapts to a new team! Wait until Tryamkin comes back and saves us! Wait until Virtanen breaks out now that he has trained in the summer!

Wait until next season. If the Canucks can make the playoffs just once then for some reason the past 3, 4, 5... seasons become irrelevant and it's mission accomplished! Still waiting.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Why is it always "wait and see" when defending Benning? When do we actually go back and evaluate everything that we have been waiting on?

Wait until he can clear out Bieksa, Burrows, Higgins etc. Those NTC are killing the Canucks! So how did the Canucks look in 2015-18 once Benning moved those killer NTC contracts?

Wait until the Sedins are gone. They're blocking our youth! Still 10 points back of a playoff spot in one of the weakest playoff races in years.

Wait until Linden is gone. He was the one stopping the rebuild! So, uh, where are all the rebuild moves now?

Wait until the trade deadline. The Vrbata, Vanek, Gagner, etc contracts are rebuilding moves that will get the Canucks high picks! Still waiting.

Wait until the draft. Benning can recoup picks then! Still waiting.

Wait until Gudbranson is healthy! Wait until Sutter has a bigger role! Wait until Vey and Pedan and Pouliot and Clendening aren't buired on deep teams! Wait until Granlund has a healthy wrist! Wait until Eriksson adapts to a new team! Wait until Tryamkin comes back and saves us! Wait until Virtanen breaks out now that he has trained in the summer!

Wait until next season. If the Canucks can make the playoffs just once then for some reason the past 3, 4, 5... seasons become irrelevant and it's mission accomplished! Still waiting.
Its' wait and see' because the culmination of JB's time here will be on full display this upcoming season (and if he bombs ,he will be gone)..."Wait and see" is a lot more preferable than going through reading countless depressing hypotheticals, or rehashing the Sbisa contract...

Until there is concrete 'results'..one way or another..we have to 'wait and see'...

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Its' wait and see' because the culmination of JB's time here will be on full display this upcoming season (and if he bombs ,he will be gone)..."Wait and see" is a lot more preferable than going through reading countless depressing hypotheticals, or rehashing the Sbisa contract...

Until there is concrete 'results'..one way or another..we have to 'wait and see'...
There are concrete results. The results are the teams Benning has assembled over the past five seasons.

When does the wait and see stop? What happens if the Canucks miss the playoffs again? Is that a concrete result? Or will we have to wait and see what happens in 20-21? Or 21-22? Can we really judge Benning until Podkolzin comes over? Or until Hughes really breaks out.

Reactions: MS

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
There are concrete results. The results are the teams Benning has assembled over the past five seasons.

When does the wait and see stop? What happens if the Canucks miss the playoffs again? Is that a concrete result? Or will we have to wait and see what happens in 20-21? Or 21-22? Can we really judge Benning until Podkolzin comes over? Or until Hughes really breaks out.
If the Canucks miss the playoffs JB will be fired...I have no issues with that..6 years on the job would be too long... You cannot ask a fanbase to be that patient for that amount of time without some degree of success in the standings.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
A. No they weren't.
B. That is an extremely low bar that signifies absolutely nothing.
It does signify something...After the Sedins retired everybody expected us to drop off a cliff (who's going to score?)...The team was carried by the young core players....Next year will be yet another extension of that.

Hate to use that expression 'wait and see' again..but until I see what the squad looks like come October..we're really just guessing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad