Status
Not open for further replies.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Best 1 goal scorer in Canucks history :naughty:

And again, you can say he's got leadership and all is forgiven.

Doesn't matter if he ACTUALLY got any leadership qualities, because as long as you throw the word "leadership" into the conversation, it automatically defeats any and all argument against said player throughout the universe.

source.gif

hookshott

Dec 13, 2016
No idea, will be interesting to see what happens. Canucks still need to add a middle 6 winger and a depth Dman, not sure where the Money will come from if Sutter isn’t bought out.
How about guys who are already signed like Baertschi and Juolevi....we have no money to sign anybody else anyway! I am expecting Baertschi to surprise this year.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
The team is reported to have tried to re-sign Leivo.
We must not have tried very hard if he’s taking 875 to play in
Calgary. That’s easily buried in the minors if needed. Imo our owner is keeping Benning from committing dollars to players we could use, because we have those bad contracts, which (we as fans hope can be sent to the minors to free up cap) he won’t let get sent down or bought out.

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
Leivo isn't good. There is a massive glut at mediocre 2-4th line forwards. Baertschi should really get a last look after a year without a concussion, when healthy he's definitely the better option as a low end second liner. What the hell is Leivo and his 875k gonna do here anyway? Bump off Eriksson, Sutter, Virtanen, Beagle, Roussell, Pearson, most of whom can't be buried effectively?

Reactions: SurferBroChad

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
We must not have tried very hard if he’s taking 875 to play in
Calgary. That’s easily buried in the minors if needed. Imo our owner is keeping Benning from committing dollars to players we could use, because we have those bad contracts, which (we as fans hope can be sent to the minors to free up cap) he won’t let get sent down or bought out.
He's 27 and doesn't want to be buried in the minors. Benning is indirectly responsible because he created the cap problems that have raised this possibility, but nevertheless he did attempt to sign Leivo. Any time another team acquires a player that the Canucks could theoretically have acquired, 90 percent of the board criticizes the team for their supposed total inaction/indifference or being unaware the player was even available despite there usually being no evidence they didn't also try to acquire him.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Leivo had the best analytical numbers on the team, on a poor possession team he was a welcomed addition, he was an excellent bottom 6 forward that could move up in case of injuries, to lose him to a division rival for 875k is ridiculous.

Reactions: MarkMM

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Leivo isn't good. There is a massive glut at mediocre 2-4th line forwards. Baertschi should really get a last look after a year without a concussion, when healthy he's definitely the better option as a low end second liner. What the hell is Leivo and his 875k gonna do here anyway? Bump off Eriksson, Sutter, Virtanen, Beagle, Roussell, Pearson, most of whom can't be buried effectively?
Our bottom 6 is pretty bad, Leivo makes it better. Why would we not want him back?

SurferBroChad

Dec 17, 2018
Victoria BC
He's 27 and doesn't want to be buried in the minors. Benning is indirectly responsible because he created the cap problems that have raised this possibility, but nevertheless he did attempt to sign Leivo. Any time another team acquires a player that the Canucks could theoretically have acquired, 90 percent of the board criticizes the team for their supposed total inaction/indifference or being unaware the player was even available despite there usually being no evidence they didn't also try to acquire him.
hes 27 and just had a knee surgery
anyone upset benning let him walk probably cried when hunter shinkaruk was traded.

Reactions: F A N

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
hes 27 and just had a knee surgery
anyone upset benning let him walk probably cried when hunter shinkaruk was traded.

I think it's just part of the bigger picture (in the same vein as letting Richardson and Gaunce go in favour of signing old, overpaid vets to long-term contracts). It's not necessarily that Leivo is some hidden gem, it's that it's a cheap, low-risk contract rather than a long-term, overpaid contract for similar role players.

What will be amusing is if the pro-Benning crowd still uses the Leivo trade as a "win" in favour of Benning, but now say losing him isn't a big deal. Kind of like how Forsling was a great draft pick until he was traded and then eventually out of the NHL, then it was a meaningless trade as well. Sometimes I wish I could manipulate logic to suit my inner bias as much as some of you, probably would be a lot easier to support this management group.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
I think it's just part of the bigger picture (in the same vein as letting Richardson and Gaunce go in favour of signing old, overpaid vets to long-term contracts). It's not necessarily that Leivo is some hidden gem, it's that it's a cheap, low-risk contract rather than a long-term, overpaid contract for similar role players.
The team didn't attempt to re-sign Gaunce or Richardson, whereas they did try to re-sign Leivo and presumably offered a competitive contract since the one he signed barely exceeded the league minimum.

Sometimes I wish I could manipulate logic to suit my inner bias as much as some of you, probably would be a lot easier to support this management group.
You just did that by comparing this situation with two others but failing to note that the implied point of comparison with them is absent in this one.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
The team didn't attempt to re-sign Gaunce or Richardson, whereas they did try to re-sign Leivo and presumably offered a competitive contract since the one he signed barely exceeded the league minimum.

I mean this is kind of irrelevant when I quoted a poster saying this isn't a big deal. In isolation, sure it's not a big deal, but when you look at how our bottom 6 is constructed and how we may have been able to sign Leivo if we didn't botch our cap management, then it looks pretty bad. The pro-Benning crowd seems to think every single mistake is "not a big deal" without ever looking at the bigger picture.

You just did that by comparing this situation with two others but failing to note that the implied point of comparison with them is absent in this one.

I think you missed the point there in that something is great when you can argue it makes Benning look good (Leivo trade; Forsling draft), until that asset is lost, then it's no big deal. Those situations are fairly analogous in that regard, hence the "kind of like" part of my post. As the king of semantics arguments, I thought you'd understand that.

Reactions: I am toxic

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009

... Surely you're not saying the presence of (mostly) bad contracts should preclude us from trying to sign some good contracts?

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Our bottom 6 is pretty bad, Leivo makes it better. Why would we not want him back?

it's term. It has nothing to do with where he ends up, its a business, and it seems like we couldn't come to terms with him. We wanted him back, but couldn't work it out. I'm glad he's healthy and ready to go. Best of luck to him

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour

UHHHHH...........when he was healthy he definitely brought elements to the bottom 6 that we really don't have (he can play top 6 minutes if needed and not be horrible and he is great along the boards/possession).

The only if would be how much his injury is going to slow him down this year - that was a pretty significant injury that could take a while to recover from. Otherwise for that tag he would have absolutely been a decent option to have.

I tend to think that the next salary is ear marked for a more defensive minded D man to add to the third pairing 7/8 man mix. That's most likely why they let him walk.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
UHHHHH...........when he was healthy he definitely brought elements to the bottom 6 that we really don't have (he can play top 6 minutes if needed and not be horrible and he is great along the boards/possession).

The only if would be how much his injury is going to slow him down this year - that was a pretty significant injury that could take a while to recover from. Otherwise for that tag he would have absolutely been a decent option to have.

I tend to think that the next salary is ear marked for a more defensive minded D man to add to the third pairing 7/8 man mix. That's most likely why they let him walk.

Feels like he's just another casualty of our mismanaged cap.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

Thats what I'm thinking..they've got their eye on another player (3rd pairing D..?), and don't want to commit anymore salary to wingers..If they really wanted to commit to him, they wouldnt have signed Jayce Hawryluk.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
it's term. It has nothing to do with where he ends up, its a business, and it seems like we couldn't come to terms with him. We wanted him back, but couldn't work it out. I'm glad he's healthy and ready to go. Best of luck to him

He got a year? We couldn't have given him a year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad