Management Thread. For a Few Dollars More: Gunslinger Edition, Pt II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Ferland remains a big question mark on this team.

Sutter buyout window is open, will he be bought out?

Canucks will have to do something if everyone is healthy and ready to go as they’re over the cap.

Leivo still unsigned, Canucks need a dirt cheap bottom 6 forward that can slot into the top 6 in case of injury, should be resigned.

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser
Pearson-Horvat-Virtanen
Leivo-Gaudette-Sutter
Motte-Beagle-Macewen
Hawryluk/Eriksson
Ferland? (If healthy he’s on the 3rd line & Sutter will need to be bought out)

Hughes-Myers
Edler-Schmidt
Juolevi-Benn
Rathbone/Rafferty
Chatfield

Holtby
Demko

Last edited:

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Ferland remains the biggest question mark on this team.

Sutter buyout window closing, don’t think he’s getting bought out.

Canucks will have to do something if everyone is healthy and ready to go as they’re over the cap.
Has the buyout window (for signing Jake) even opened yet? Isn’t that Saturday and Sunday?

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Has the buyout window (for signing Jake) even opened yet? Isn’t that Saturday and Sunday?

No idea, will be interesting to see what happens. Canucks still need to add a middle 6 winger and a depth Dman, not sure where the Money will come from if Sutter isn’t bought out.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
No idea, will be interesting to see what happens. Canucks still need to add a middle 6 winger and a depth Dman, not sure where the Money will come from if Sutter isn’t bought out.
I’m hoping we do buyout Sutter, but Benning’s recent comments don’t make it sound like we will. I think we’re going with younger guys from within the organization to fill any roster spots.

Reactions: David71

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
I'm coming around to the idea that Ferland's agent's comments might be a real sign Ferland wants to spend the season on LTIR and feels he will fail a physical.

Reactions: iceburg and m9

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
I hope we dont buy out Sutter. We aint winning The cup this year anyways so why waste cap space for the 2021-22 season

Miller Pettersson Boeser
Pearson Horvat Gaudette
Leivo Sutter Virtanen
Motte Beagles MacEwan

Edler Schmidt
Hughes Rafferty
Rathbone Myers
Benn

Demko
Holtby

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I'm coming around to the idea that Ferland's agent's comments might be a real sign Ferland wants to spend the season on LTIR and feels he will fail a physical.

I would be flabbergasted if this wasn't the case. I really hope Micheal focuses on his health. He's really come far in his journey, and it would be a shame to hurt himself even further.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I would be flabbergasted if this wasn't the case. I really hope Micheal focuses on his health. He's really come far in his journey, and it would be a shame to hurt himself even further.
Must be extremely difficult to step on the ice knowing that as the speed of play ramps up those nasty symptoms will very likely come back. And he’s for sure hearing from the doctors these concussions compound and the recovery from each one is longer and harder on him and his family. I don’t know what the NHL rules are for LTI, but Furley has to be considering it as his future.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Dhaliwal strongly suggested the Canucks are going to sit down with Ferland soon.

Seemed to hint of going the Gillis - Malhotra path.

It would be the right thing to do for his health and would save them from having to make a move from a business side of things.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
Dhaliwal strongly suggested the Canucks are going to sit down with Ferland soon.

Seemed to hint of going the Gillis - Malhotra path.

It would be the right thing to do for his health and would save them from having to make a move from a business side of things.
What path was that? Did he actually retire immediately? Ferland has a lot more money coming to him than Malhotra did, I think.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
What path was that? Did he actually retire immediately? Ferland has a lot more money coming to him than Malhotra did, I think.

Can a player retire due to injuries and not be on LTIR and still get paid (from insurance for example?)

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Worth remembering that the Avs were in on Ferland but refused to give him a 4th year due to these very injury concerns. That he was not insurable is believable.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Several sources indicated that Ferland’s contract is not insured, but the Canucks declined to comment, citing privacy.

'Unfit to play': Micheal Ferland leaves Canucks' bubble | The Province

afaict the article suggests that if ferland is LTIRed, the canucks couldn't get insurance on the contract so they pay him out instead of punting it over to insurance

but i think F A N's question is about if ferland's contract gets terminated for some reason, does he personally have insurance that would cover him? like if i have a $5 million contract and i develop some kind of debilitating equipment rash where i can't play anymore and as per some technicality i get released and the team isn't liable to pay me out, i make a $2 million claim to the insurance company.

i'm guessing every pro athlete in north america has that kind of insurance, though probably the amount of the contracts the company is willing to insure varies wildly from case to case.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
but i think F A N's question is about if ferland's contract gets terminated for some reason, does he personally have insurance that would cover him? like if i have a $5 million contract and i develop some kind of debilitating equipment rash where i can't play anymore and as per some technicality i get released and the team isn't liable to pay me out, i make a $2 million claim to the insurance company.
Contracts basically never get terminated unless a player either refuses to play despite apparently being healthy or does something incredibly stupid that the team thinks it can prove happened. If Ferland hangs around and takes his physicals twice a year, he gets paid. If there was anything seriously wrong with him, including a mysterious equipment rash, it would be found in a physical. If he passes a physical and still decides against playing, he would have to permit his contract to be terminated. I don't think any player would insure himself against the eventuality of having an injury no one admits is real.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
afaict the article suggests that if ferland is LTIRed, the canucks couldn't get insurance on the contract so they pay him out instead of punting it over to insurance

i'm guessing every pro athlete in north america has that kind of insurance, though probably the amount of the contracts the company is willing to insure varies wildly from case to case.

I don't know but I would be surprised if that were the case. It would be kind of difficult to even find such an insurance product and I don't know why the vast majority of players would do that unless they fear getting injured due to some off-season activity that is not covered by the NHL group policy, which their team probably prohibits them from doing anyway.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Contracts basically never get terminated unless a player either refuses to play despite apparently being healthy or does something incredibly stupid that the team thinks it can prove happened. If Ferland hangs around and takes his physicals twice a year, he gets paid. If there was anything seriously wrong with him, including a mysterious equipment rash, it would be found in a physical. If he passes a physical and still decides against playing, he would have to permit his contract to be terminated. I don't think any player would insure himself against the eventuality of having an injury no one admits is real.

i'm not a sports agent or lawyer, so i'm just spitballing. but when you hear athletes talking about all the ways their $8 million contract is really "just" $3 million, you always hear about insurance as one of the things, on top of taxes, agent fees, etc etc.

i'm guessing there are grey areas and ambiguities in whether a team pays out your injury that you'd want to insure against. it's probably more for things like if you someone hits you with a car or if you get bit by a snake and you can't play hockey anymore, you get paid by your insurance because your team can't get its insurance to pay your LTIR because it wasn't a work-related injury. but i'm sure there are instances where there is a disagreement about whether, say, your home gym falling on you counts as a work-related injury that you want to protect yourself against.

...or maybe this personal insurance also covers you if there's a global pandemic and they can't have fans watch games live and the league folds and your guaranteed contract becomes recycling. who would have thought that was a possibility when boeser signed his extension?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

I wasn't thinking about "contract termination" in the sense that the two sides mutually agree to terminate the contract. Players do retire with term left on their contract. Heck, we talked about Eriksson retiring from the NHL and his cap hit disappearing. Obviously, we're talking about a a player choosing to retire due to his injuries. Those that hung around and LTIRed until their contracts expired were contracts subject to cap recapture penalties. This wouldn't apply to Ferland.

Normally, if we were injured on the job and couldn't work we would have workers comp and EI. I wonder if there's a way where Ferland still gets paid a percentage of the money he has left on his contract without being on LTIR.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
i'm not a sports agent or lawyer, so i'm just spitballing. but when you hear athletes talking about all the ways their $8 million contract is really "just" $3 million, you always hear about insurance as one of the things, on top of taxes, agent fees, etc etc.t

I won’t go into the rest of your post because I don’t really know, but this doesn’t mean anything.
I too have premiums deducted from my pay check to cover insurance that is provided through my employer. That’s just standard employment practice.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I won’t go into the rest of your post because I don’t really know, but this doesn’t mean anything.
I too have premiums deducted from my pay check to cover insurance that is provided through my employer. That’s just standard employment practice.

my sense was those athletes are talking about taking out insurance on their careers, not like the medical insurance our jobs give us or that we buy to pay for doctors, prescriptions, and going to the hospital.

i always figured this was like how tina turner and taylor swift took out insurance on their legs, whatever the f that means.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
I wasn't thinking about "contract termination" in the sense that the two sides mutually agree to terminate the contract. Players do retire with term left on their contract. Heck, we talked about Eriksson retiring from the NHL and his cap hit disappearing. Obviously, we're talking about a a player choosing to retire due to his injuries. Those that hung around and LTIRed until their contracts expired were contracts subject to cap recapture penalties. This wouldn't apply to Ferland.

Normally, if we were injured on the job and couldn't work we would have workers comp and EI. I wonder if there's a way where Ferland still gets paid a percentage of the money he has left on his contract without being on LTIR.
Wouldn't apply to him in what case? Of all the times we've seen players retire due to concussions, I don't remember any where they passed a physical but refused to play. There might be some.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad