Management Management Review in - Mitchell Miller

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
King was doing his job by misrepresenting Miller's efforts? OK.

Where did I put the responsibility on King for what the Bruins did? There are multiple factors here. You can care about your 5 questions that you'll never get answered. I'll care about mine about the agent because there's something bizarre happening there.

Neither you nor I know whether or not King misrepresented anything. Just because Cam Neely says something doesn't mean it's true, or not true. It would be nice if one of the hack journalists who are more interested in getting in good with the team would ask Neely more about it, or if the B's had been up front with their fans throughout this whole thing.

I don't see anything bizarre in King at all. Either he was truthful, or he wasn't. An agent acting untruthful for his client is unethical, but not in the least "bizarre".

What's bizarre is that the B's considered signing Miller for a long time and either ignored the truth or chose to be the laziest people in professional sports. Which do you think it was?

EDIT: From Boston Hockey Now article in NOV:
"In his press conference Monday morning, Neely repeatedly stressed that he and the Bruins’ hockey operations staff were unaware of a series of transgressions between Miller and Meyer-Crothers that occurred after 2014. Despite various news outlets – many via Miller’s victim and disabled former classmate Isaiah Meyer-Crothers’ mother or Google – discovering that Miller’s bullying and racist remarks were not limited to one incident, and were part of a pattern that stretched on for years, Neely claimed that he and his hockey ops staff were unaware of that."

That to me is the most bizarre thing in the whole story.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
I was hoping for a storybook ending. Miller did a absolute dumb thing but being 14 is a factor I wished somehow he would have made peace with crothers family but it didn't work out. Sad for everyone involved. I believe in 2nd chances but this was one tough pillow to swallow. Hope they all heal.

Unfortunately, forgiveness has to be earned. And for MM and his family, they have no remorse or sympathy or anything contrary to earlier reports. In order to be forgiven, you have to be truly sorry and do the work to show it. It may take years, but I'd you truly care about being a better person and being sorry, you do the work. The agent lied and presented him like he did the work. He did not.

Hopefully the kid learns some f***ing sense and grows up. His family isn't holding him accountable and making him seem like the victim which doesn't bold well. But I've seen the worst of the worst truly change. For his sake? I hope he does. But it won't be on my team so toodles to him.

Reactions: The don godfather

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Unfortunately, forgiveness has to be earned. And for MM and his family, they have no remorse or sympathy or anything contrary to earlier reports. In order to be forgiven, you have to be truly sorry and do the work to show it. It may take years, but I'd you truly care about being a better person and being sorry, you do the work. The agent lied and presented him like he did the work. He did not.

Hopefully the kid learns some f***ing sense and grows up. His family isn't holding him accountable and making him seem like the victim which doesn't bold well. But I've seen the worst of the worst truly change. For his sake? I hope he does. But it won't be on my team so toodles to him.
It's too bad it didnt work the kid seems to have some serious skill on the ice. What a waste due to stupidity. Anyways life goes on and hopefully Donny finds better talent out there.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
"In his press conference Monday morning, Neely repeatedly stressed that he and the Bruins’ hockey operations staff were unaware of a series of transgressions between Miller and Meyer-Crothers that occurred after 2014.

Good thing they had Loretta come in so she could tell them how to use Google. I am sure that was a smart use of papa Jacobs money.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

What is your evidence that the agent misrepresented something?

And yes Mitch Miller should be held accoutnable, but I'm not sure why you are willing to let the Bruins staff members who made the decision to sign him off the hook. Shouldn't they be held accoutnable? A teenage racist bully is a bad thing. A group of grown adults running a multimillion dollar business knowingly hiring a racist bully to me is a worse thing. Structural/Institutional racism is always worse than individual racism.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
What is your evidence that the agent misrepresented something?

And yes Mitch Miller should be held accoutnable, but I'm not sure why you are willing to let the Bruins staff members who made the decision to sign him off the hook. Shouldn't they be held accoutnable? A teenage racist bully is a bad thing. A group of grown adults running a multimillion dollar business knowingly hiring a racist bully to me is a worse thing. Structural/Institutional racism is always worse than individual racism.
Both the agent and the Bruins royally screwed up. But there was an article from when this ALL went down where the agent claims he was doing community work and this and that and turns out, it wasn't true.

Lying for your client happens all the time. So that doesn't surprise me.

It's unfortunate. We could of avoided all of this if we just not bothered. Let the other teams that were rumored to be looking at him take on that headcase.

Reactions: hrdpuk

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Neither you nor I know whether or not King misrepresented anything. Just because Cam Neely says something doesn't mean it's true, or not true. It would be nice if one of the hack journalists who are more interested in getting in good with the team would ask Neely more about it, or if the B's had been up front with their fans throughout this whole thing.

I don't see anything bizarre in King at all. Either he was truthful, or he wasn't. An agent acting untruthful for his client is unethical, but not in the least "bizarre".

What's bizarre is that the B's considered signing Miller for a long time and either ignored the truth or chose to be the laziest people in professional sports. Which do you think it was?

"In his press conference Monday morning, Neely repeatedly stressed that he and the Bruins’ hockey operations staff were unaware of a series of transgressions between Miller and Meyer-Crothers that occurred after 2014. Despite various news outlets – many via Miller’s victim and disabled former classmate Isaiah Meyer-Crothers’ mother or Google – discovering that Miller’s bullying and racist remarks were not limited to one incident, and were part of a pattern that stretched on for years, Neely claimed that he and his hockey ops staff were unaware of that."

That to me is the most bizarre thing in the whole story.

Nothing bizarre about it. It's really simple: the Bruins lied.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
By the way, imagine being another team that stayed away from Mitchell Miller for all the right reasons only tot hen see the Bruins get a jet-out-of-jail free card handed to them by Bettman.

Not a serious league.

This is what I don't get to be honest.

Forgetting the part in the CBA that does not allow any of the parties to talk about it, it is very clear in that same pile of legal mumbo jumbo what the process is: Player goes on unconditional waivers for mutual agreement to terminate the contract, then they negotiate a settlement.

As much as I blame the league for bailing the team out, I blame the NHLPA as well. When the Bruins rescinded the contract, it triggered a grievance by the NHLPA. Not only is it their right, but their duty, as much of a scumbag Miller is.

As it was put to me "The NHL makes the rules up as they go along." And they NHLPA just lets them. I thought Marty Walsh was going to be different.

There's a certain amount of blame that can go to any one of the parties. But the majority lies with the Bruins.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018

Forgetting the part in the CBA that does not allow any of the parties to talk about it, it is very clear in that same pile of legal mumbo jumbo what the process is: Player goes on unconditional waivers for mutual agreement to terminate the contract, then they negotiate a settlement.

As much as I blame the league for bailing the team out, I blame the NHLPA as well. When the Bruins rescinded the contract, it triggered a grievance by the NHLPA. Not only is it their right, but their duty, as much of a scumbag Miller is.

As it was put to me "The NHL makes the rules up as they go along." And they NHLPA just lets them. I thought Marty Walsh was going to be different.

There's a certain amount of blame that can go to any one of the parties. But the majority lies with the Bruins.
Of course the majority of the blame is with the Bruins. Absolutely.

But when is the last time you’ve seen a league transaction not get reported? There’s something else going on here behind the scenes and we’ll probably never know why the league and the NHLPA went along with this course of action.

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA

But when is the last time you’ve seen a league transaction not get reported? There’s something else going on here behind the scenes and we’ll probably never know why the league and the NHLPA went along with this course of action.
It became clear when the story broke that both the Bruins and the NHL had knowledge of Mitchell's actions earlier than they admitted. So both organizations are bad actors and both had plenty to gain by sweeping this under the rug.

As Dom said, the PA's complicity in this is perplexing.

Reactions: DominicT

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
It became clear when the story broke that both the Bruins and the NHL had knowledge of Mitchell's actions earlier than they admitted. So both organizations are bad actors and both had plenty to gain by sweeping this under the rug.

As Dom said, the PA's complicity in this is perplexing.

$$$$$$$$

at the end of the day the PA number 1 tenet is get as much as possible for those in the bargaining unit.

Im not surprised at all.

Id bet anything that MM walked away with more than the balance of his minor contract $$$.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Bingo . As my dad used to say “ they all had their nickel outta the quarter “.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
$$$$$$$$

at the end of the day the PA number 1 tenet is get as much as possible for those in the bargaining unit.

Im not surprised at all.

Id bet anything that MM walked away with more than the balance of his minor contract $$$.
I wouldn't be surprised if he got away with the full $2.5 million

Of course there's something going on behind the scenes. I thought that's what I said. None of the parties involved followed the letter of the law which is the CBA.

Reactions: Gonzothe7thDman

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I wouldn't be surprised if he got away with the full $2.5 million

Of course there's something going on behind the scenes. I thought that's what I said. None of the parties involved followed the letter of the law which is the CBA.

from my own experience years ago, not saying its same here, but we had a grievance go all the way to National Labor Relations Board hearing for something similar. And although it was outside of regular bargained pay and benefits articles it was decided mutual agreement by all parties could be lawfully done under the grievance articles.

So it came to be. With essentially a gag order.

Reactions: DominicT

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
absolutely depends on what was agreed upon.
in your scenario most likely get ‘ no and no further comment’.

With Dom pointing out this basically isn't in the CBA it seems like it was something that was negotiated for during this specific situation. I don't see why Miller or the NHLPA would care about the Bruins being silent on announcing that he's no longer with the org.

Seems like being hush hush about this benefits the NHL/Bruins more than Miller/NHLPA.

Doubt we will ever know.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Either that or they’re prevented from talking about it under the CBA. One or the other.
They are prevented from talking about the settlement. That much we can agree with. I believe I even posted that part of the CBA in here.

However, The CBA explicitly says they can not terminate a contract, even mutually without unconditional waivers. The only time that can happen is when a player has a NMC and the player decides to forego the waivers.

Again, I asked someone in the know and @Gee Wally probably knows who that says "the NHL makes up the rules as they go along."

We can also agree something fishy went on behind the scenes here.

My uneducated guess is: We have a very talented hockey player who probably would have been the Bruins second best prospect that did some atrocious things. Someone drastically underestimated the backlash it would cause. They went ahead and it bit them in the ass and someone had to bail them out.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
With Dom pointing out this basically isn't in the CBA it seems like it was something that was negotiated for during this specific situation. I don't see why Miller or the NHLPA would care about the Bruins being silent on announcing that he's no longer with the org.

Seems like being hush hush about this benefits the NHL/Bruins more than Miller/NHLPA.

Doubt we will ever know.

we wont ever know all details.

All I can say is read my post about my own experience with grievance arbitration. It was boiler plate in our cba. Could be here too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad