Management Management Review in - Mitchell Miller

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
What a joke. I wonder how much Jacobs paid for this outside org to tell them what they already knew. No one has accepted responsibility and no one will. Franky this report is more embarrassing than doing nothing. Everyone had moved on from this story but now it's A. back in the news and B. with the Bruins trying to pass off this nothing-burger of a policy as "taking action". Stupid is as stupid does.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Findings are almost as expected, although I did think some low-hanging fruit like that dodgy-sounding scout would get the axe.

I'm not happy with it but I'm not really bothered by it either - what would be the point of wasting anger on it? This team is also building a special season and I don't want anything disrupting that. I know that shouldn't matter and the right thing should be done regardless of the wider circumstances, but given that's not going to happen no matter what, I'll take this being settled quietly and we can just get on with enjoying the performance on the ice. Don't let the players suffer for management's stupidity.
Separate issue for me. The players have nothing to do with it. I mean Neely and Sweeney obviously could identity with Miller, being hockey players and all. I’m sorry but I lost respect for them. I mean they were fine with an apology sent over a social media site? They lied about not knowing the extent of the bullying, they just didn’t care. I defy someone to tell me they cared when they didn’t have the courtesy to even reach out to the victim for his side. I mean Don Sweeney even said all that nonsense about forgiveness and “how I don’t think forgiveness is a part of this”. Wow great guy

Good people at putting together a team sure, but same smug hockey people that like to sweep things like this under the rug like all these other organizations. Their only concern is self preservation

Reactions: HustleB

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Separate issue for me. The players have nothing to do with it. I mean Neely and Sweeney obviously could identity with Miller, being hockey players and all. I’m sorry but I lost respect for them. I mean they were fine with an apology sent over a social media site? They lied about not knowing the extent of the bullying, they just didn’t care. I defy someone to tell me they cared when they didn’t have the courtesy to even reach out to the victim for his side. I mean Don Sweeney even said all that nonsense about forgiveness and “how I don’t think forgiveness is a part of this”. Wow great guy

Good people at putting together a team sure, but same smug hockey people that like to sweep things like this under the rug like all these other organizations. Their only concern is self preservation

The playing group had nothing to do with the signing, for sure, but they could not be wholly isolated from any actions taken against management as a result. Neely or Sweeney are sacked, or resign under duress, and there will be significant media attention. Senior players will inevitable be dragged into it and asked their opinion. The loss of a President and/or GM mid-season, essentially in disgrace, is bound to have ramifications and a destabilizing effect, at least temporarily.

It might well prove that that impact is minimal, and the players can just shrug it all off largely unhindered. Or it might not. I see no reason to take that risk now. Much as Neely and Sweeney rightly deserve censure over the Miller matter, they equally must take a lot of credit for the team they have built. Look at the character, integrity, charity and fortitude of these players, of Montgomery. It is beyond doubt that the quality of these guys as people and not just athletes matters to management. We would not have the kind of team we do otherwise, nor the results that flow from that. Miller was a grave mistake, but it is one small part of a much wider body of work that SweNeely have put together.

Nonetheless I genuinely believe there should be consequences for their errors and the harm caused well beyond what's stated in the report. But I would argue that the time to enact those is not now. It should be after the season has finished, the on-ice stuff is safely done and their managerial actions for the whole year can be viewed holistically. I realize that is unlikely to happen and there will likely be no further action taken even at a later date, but that's beside the point. My argument is that even if sterner measures were to be enforced, they should be postponed to a suitable time.

Last edited:

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
The playing group had nothing to do with the signing, for sure, but they could not be wholly isolated from any actions taken against management as a result. Neely or Sweeney are sacked, or resign under duress, and there will be significant media attention. Senior players will inevitable be dragged into it and asked their opinion. The loss of a President and/or GM mid-season, essentially in disgrace, is bound to have ramifications and a destabilizing effect, at least temporarily.

It might well prove that that impact is minimal, and the players can just shrug it all off largely unhindered. Or it might not. I see no reason to take that risk now. Much as Neely and Sweeney rightly deserve censure over the Miller matter, they equally must take a lot of credit for the team they have built. Look at the character, integrity, charity and fortitude of these players, of Montgomery. It is beyond doubt that the quality of these guys as people and not just athletes matters to management. We would not have the kind of team we do otherwise, nor the results that flow from that. Miller was a grave mistake, but it is one small part of a much wider body of work that SweNeely have put together.

Nonetheless I genuinely believe there should be consequences for their errors and the harm caused well beyond what's stated in the report. But I would argue that the time to enact those is not now. It should be after the season has finished, the on-ice stuff is safely done and their managerial actions for the whole year can be viewed holistically. I realize that is unlikely to happen and there will likely be no further action taken even at a later date, but that's beside the point. My argument is that even if sterner measures were to be enforced, they should be postponed to a suitable time.
Good post

I never expected them to lose their jobs, but what they proved is they will flat out lie to save their backsides, and could have not cared less what Miller did as long as he sent a cyber thank you.

Fireable offenses? I don’t know, but I better stop reading about them saying “the Bruins way” or whatever BS they like to spew when they are no better than any of the front offices or organizations in the news recently.

I’m hoping at least the new employee handbook rules the piece of garbage Toews out.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Good post

I never expected them to lose their jobs, but what they proved is they will flat out lie to save their backsides, and could have not cared less what Miller did as long as he sent a cyber thank you.

Fireable offenses? I don’t know, but I better stop reading about them saying “the Bruins way” or whatever BS they like to spew when they are no better than any of the front offices or organizations in the news recently.

I’m hoping at least the new employee handbook rules the piece of garbage Toews out.

what are you even talking about "the Bruins way" Never heard any of that. I think we got your point for the 8000th time

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
what are you even talking about "the Bruins way" Never heard any of that. I think we got your point for the 8000th time
Great addition to a conversation like always.

I mean the bruins way where you pass on guys with bad attitudes like barzal and Connor and welcome racist bullies like Mitchell. That kind, honest, character type players. Pass over skill for “leadership”. Maybe if you got off your knees you’d have noticed it

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Great addition to a conversation like always.

I mean the bruins way where you pass on guys with bad attitudes like barzal and Connor and welcome racist bullies like Mitchell. That kind, honest, character type players. Pass over skill for “leadership”. Maybe if you got off your knees you’d have noticed it
ane Barzal and Connor are relevant to this in what way? you just want to villainize the organization. If Sweeny and Neely had bad intent here the investigation would have said that

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
If they weren’t already doing the things laid out in the “new” policy than not only are they gutless, they’re inept.

In hindsight, I wish they said from the jump they’d share the findings or talk about next steps after the season. If they didn’t release something it looks like they’re hiding, if they do anything “big” it disrupts the run/chemistry, so what we get is this half assed PR ploy.

Woof.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
ane Barzal and Connor are relevant to this in what way? you just want to villainize the organization. If Sweeny and Neely had bad intent here the investigation would have said that
Are you being obtuse on purpose? They repeatedly ditched guys like Seguin, Kessel, Smith et all and passed on better players in the draft with perceived attitude issues because they didn’t fit the Bruins model of leadership and integrity. Which we all know is bullshit now with this front office

Lol you are a complete sucker. Sweeney and Neely LIED that they didn’t know the extent of it. This was no inquiry they weren’t looking to find fault w management, only the handbook. They covered it up by saying there were “gaps”. In the information. It’s hilarious you are buying this.

Last edited:

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Are you being obtuse on purpose? They repeatedly ditched guys like Seguin, Kessel, Smith et all and passed on better players in the draft with perceived attitude issues because they didn’t fit the Bruins model of leadership and integrity. Which we all know is bullshit now.

Lol you are a complete sucker. Sweeney and Neely LIED that they didn’t know the extent of it. This was no inquiry they weren’t looking to find fault w management, only the handbook

That investigation, led by former U.S. Attorney General Loretta Lynch of the law firm Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison, parsed through thousands of documents related to Boston's signing of Miller on Nov. 4 before the club cut ties with him days later.

Im sure Loretta Lynch is covering up for Sweeney and Neely, right

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
If they weren’t already doing the things laid out in the “new” policy than not only are they gutless, they’re inept.

In hindsight, I wish they said from the jump they’d share the findings or talk about next steps after the season. If they didn’t release something it looks like they’re hiding, if they do anything “big” it disrupts the run/chemistry, so what we get is this half assed PR ploy.

Woof.
I’m not sure anything they drastically will effect anything in the ice. It would be a FO deal.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

That investigation, led by former U.S. Attorney General Loretta Lynch of the law firm Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison, parsed through thousands of documents related to Boston's signing of Miller on Nov. 4 before the club cut ties with him days later.

There are two things

1. The review found no gross misconduct

2. The front office clearly lied about not knowing the history and saying it was a one time thing to defend the signing.

So if that’s not considered gross misconduct well, I disagree as apparently so do many others here.

But again this was a policy thing not a hold people accountable thing.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
There are two things

1. The review found no gross misconduct

2. The front office clearly lied about not knowing the history and saying it was a one time thing to defend the signing.

So if that’s not considered gross misconduct well, I disagree as apparently so do many others here.

But again this was a policy thing not a hold people accountable thing.
I don’t know how to word this properly, but it’s almost like our governments, billion dollars businesses, etc don’t know that we have the internet yet. Or a working memory. Or ability to critically think for ourselves. It is mind boggling.

Personally I’d be more than fine if these people would just admit to their f$&k ups like us regular humans do.

Don’t waterboard me with your nonsense and tell me things are all good now. Pay your fine or get moved to a new position within the organization (I love that one personally), shut the hell up and stop lying to me. Simple.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
In the world you and I live and work in it would be enough but in pro sports, no.
Nope, if my companies HR ever hired a guy like Mitchell they would all get canned. Don't defend the indefensible. They thought they could get away with adding a potentially good prospect and the rest didn't matter. I'm willing to bet they would have weathered the media firestorm as well if team leadership hadn't spoken up.

I don't care which of dumb and dumber go in the off season, if Bergeron retires and wants one of their jobs it's his.

Last edited:

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Nope, if my companies HR ever hired a gut like Mitchell they would all get canned. Don't defend the indefensible. They thought they could get away with adding a potentially good prospect and the rest didn't matter. I'm willing to bet they would have weathered the media firestorm as well if team leadership hadn't spoken up.

I don't care which of dumb and dumber go in the off season, if Bergeron retires and wants one of their jobs it's his.
If Bergy or Z wants one of their jobs then here are the keys.

If any personnel changes happen they will wait for the off season.

I hope Charlie enjoys Christmas at the kids table this Sunday.

Babajingo

Nope, if my companies HR ever hired a gut like Mitchell they would all get canned. Don't defend the indefensible. They thought they could get away with adding a potentially good prospect and the rest didn't matter. I'm willing to bet they would have weathered the media firestorm as well if team leadership hadn't spoken up.

It's funny how Bergeron keeps saving their butts. Coming back for pennies on the dollar (and probably is the reason Krecji signed too, along with Pasta), then being the front man during this whole fiasco, while those two wimps cowered in their offices.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
This went pretty much the way I expected it would. Too much in play for anything really substantive to come out. Papa Jacobs took over the reins from little Charlie and showed him how to get shit done.

1) Loretta Lynch is one bad ass woman. And Weiss is a power house law firm. However, this kind of investigation would never generate real findings as if it were, say, going after a Sam Bankman Fried. It was aimed at a series of lazy, arrogant, and tone deaf decisions on behalf of Bruins management. Only fire-able behavior IF Jeremy Jacobs wants to fire someone for it. Certainly not illegal. PR and damage control alone.

I suspect not fire-able because:

2) Charlie is at top of heap. I'm sure Jeremy thinks Charlie is a very small and unimpressive apple. However, he is still an apple that has fallen off the big tree. Even if, as far as business acumen goes, it seems to have rolled a long way down the hill.

3) The Bruins are on fire and are money at home. That means more money in Jeremy's pocket and - fingers crossed - a lot of it come playoff time. Jeremy will let nothing will upset that apple cart -- including a major upheaval and continued controversy in the front office. Jeremy likes money.

So Jeremy hired a bad ass law firm knowing that nothing illegal or utterly shocking would come out (i.e. -- an email from someone saying "I don't care what this kid did to some .... blah blah blah"). Gave it the veneer of looking at it seriously and independently knowing nothing heavy would ever come out of the recommendations. Be more aware, think, cover your bases, and be more sensitive to obvious hot buttons.

Of course I hope the f***ing league will do the same when it comes to those scum bags on team Canada. Old Gary stays pretty damn silent on that. Maybe as it moves on he will step up, but I suspect he won't.

We can all get outraged about a person abusing a mentally challenged minority -- that's easy. It's just plain wrong. But too many people are not irate about a bunch of good old Canadian boys training some poor girl while on a hockey road trip. Boys will be boys, am I right?

THAT makes me feel so angry my head aches.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida

Hey, that last paragraph is where its at! I think that's called the Blackhawk strategy: Ignore that shit for now, we'll deal with it after the season/playoffs.

Reactions: Dr Quincy

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC

I'm even more sure that the amount of time Loretta Lynch actually spent on this was however long she spent to pick 3 random interns and a junior partner to deal with it

Reactions: LouJersey

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I'm even more sure that the amount of time Loretta Lynch actually spent on this was however long she spent to pick 3 random interns and a junior partner to deal with it
I dont see why a law firm would protect Sweeney and Neely and put their law firms reputation at stake

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad