Management Discussion | Just Have a Plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I swear this fan base is suffering so much PTSD from the Benning era that you guys assume any trades will lead to Benning-esque returns. Just chill out, nothing is going to happen for like a month since teams are still accruing capspace.
The rumors are like all over the place. The same Marek who said Canucks are targeting other team’s best prospects is now targeting win now players. Yeah like the ask is really going to change in 2 days….

Reactions: racerjoe and rypper

Orr4Norris

Mar 2, 2018
We've been through this before. See: The Kesler trade. If they are after that type of trade, you can expect that type of return. A collection of lower-tier players between 25-28 years of age. They will trade Horvat for depth.

To quote Brough: "Guys, the magic beans didn't work last time ... but don't worry, these magic beans are different."

I don’t understand it. 1st round picks will get you good players in the summer if that is the direction they want to go.

Reactions: The Extrapolater

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
We've been through this before. See: The Kesler trade. If they are after that type of trade, you can expect that type of return. A collection of lower-tier players between 25-28 years of age. They will trade Horvat for depth.

To quote Brough: "Guys, the magic beans didn't work last time ... but don't worry, these magic beans are different."

I don't think this is completely fair for anyone now. Not saying a now trade is good, but that Kesler trade if we had good scouts could have been Bonino, McCaan, and Theodore... what an absolute trade... but we chose Sbisa...

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I don't think this is completely fair for anyone now. Not saying a now trade is good, but that Kesler trade if we had good scouts could have been Bonino, McCaan, and Theodore... what an absolute trade... but we chose Sbisa...
That’s the thing people keep ignoring. Benning’s pro scouting was f***ing whack. Like a hockey trade does not naturally lead to bad outcomes. It’s just that Benning is so f***ing awful with his pro scouting and has missed on so many trades that this fan base is now apparently completely unable to grasp the idea that trading for non futures can have a good outcome.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

Repeat x1000 this decade. Same s***, same results. Just literally a decade later.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
That’s the thing people keep ignoring. Benning’s pro scouting was f***ing whack. Like a hockey trade does not naturally lead to bad outcomes. It’s just that Benning is so f***ing awful with his pro scouting and has missed on so many trades that this fan base is now apparently completely unable to grasp the idea that trading for non futures can have a good outcome.

That is entirely justified. I'll believe it when I see it. This sort of "cutting corners" type of management typically tends to blow up in your face. Benning, or not. There are very few GMs who've managed it successfully, especially with the type of limitations here in Vancouver, and none of them works for the Canucks.

It very simply has a materially low probability of any type of legitimate success. If your intention is to tread water around 95 points, you might have a better chance.

Reactions: D0ctorCool

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
rutherford straight up admits they can't afford to sign horvat because of the cap issues. maybe you should do something about that?

mattydamon

May 2, 2011
Victoria, BC
JR says we are stuck with contracts which is preventing changes.

Dude, you freaking added over 11 million dollars in wingers (Mikaylev and Boeser) last summer and added JT Miller (9 mil). You dug your own freaking grave.
So true, honestly still feels like a slightly less bad version of Dim Jim. (slightly)

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
rutherford doesn't seem to have a lot of respect for the fans or the media. straight up claims they haven't decided to make a coaching change and that boudreau is the coach. i hope someone reminds him of these comments when they announce tocchet as the coach in a few weeks

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Jim Rutherford is like that buddy you know that acts all macho and says he's the boss of his relationship, when you know he's sweating bullets and clock watching because he has to be home in 48 minutes.

Guy has zero autonomy. Says what the media/fans wants to hear but his agenda has been set out for him by the owner. We all see through this.

Reactions: D0ctorCool and bh53
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad