Malkin vs. Sakic/Yzerman

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Similar to Datsyuk but to a lesser extent.

Meh in my experience I find Datsyuk a bit over appreciated.

I don’t think he’s necessarily overrated or anything, just that people think of him more fondly due to how aesthetically pleasing he was to watch.

Reactions: Michael Farkas

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Then the question is why did Bylsma trust Staal?
Good question. From looking at Staal's stats for the Penguins, his percentage was not very good. Despite that, he took the majority of their faceoffs on the PK. My guess is that between Crosby/Malkin/Staal, the latter was going to be taking most of the PK time since the other players were more valuable offensively. Also, it looks like Max Talbot may have taken lots of those draws.

Overall, that was a weakness of theirs, which is to be expected when a team uses three very young centers regularly.

rintinw

Oct 9, 2014
Good question. From looking at Staal's stats for the Penguins, his percentage was not very good. Despite that, he took the majority of their faceoffs on the PK. My guess is that between Crosby/Malkin/Staal, the latter was going to be taking most of the PK time since the other players were more valuable offensively. Also, it looks like Max Talbot may have taken lots of those draws.

Overall, that was a weakness of theirs, which is to be expected when a team uses three very young centers regularly.

But that would support the position that Malkin was good enough to be trusted defensively, but coaches decided to maximize his offensive abilities instead.

That and also the fact that from 1.10.2008 to 14.2.2009 (coaching change) Malkin had ~80 min. of PK time in 57 games (1:24/gp). In 25 games after he had ~8.5 min (0:20). In fact in 301 games under Bylsma he had grand total of 38 min of PK time (less than in his 2nd and 3rd seasons under Therrien and barely more than his rookie season).

Also his defensive FO's for playoffs look way better:
44.4 (45 FO)
57.5 (40 FO)
53.9 (13 FO)
58.3 (12 FO)
52.8 (34 FO)
47.1 (17 FO)
62.5 (8 FO)
48.1 (27 FO)
30.4 (56 FO)
43.8 (16 FO)
60.0 (10 FO)

Reactions: authentic

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
But that would support the position that Malkin was good enough to be trusted defensively, but coaches decided to maximize his offensive abilities instead.

That and also the fact that from 1.10.2008 to 14.2.2009 (coaching change) Malkin had ~80 min. of PK time in 57 games (1:24/gp). In 25 games after he had ~8.5 min (0:20). In fact in 301 games under Bylsma he had grand total of 38 min of PK time (less than in his 2nd and 3rd seasons under Therrien and barely more than his rookie season).

Also his defensive FO's for playoffs look way better:
44.4 (45 FO)
57.5 (40 FO)
53.9 (13 FO)
58.3 (12 FO)
52.8 (34 FO)
47.1 (17 FO)
62.5 (8 FO)
48.1 (27 FO)
30.4 (56 FO)
43.8 (16 FO)
60.0 (10 FO)
Does it? It just shows they had little to choose from in terms of who's taking the opening faceoff on the PK. I don't remember, though, when the league changed the rule where all penalties result in a faceoff in the defensive zone automatically upon restart. Before that, teams could afford to put a subpar faceoff man on the PK more often.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

I don’t think he’s necessarily overrated or anything, just that people think of him more fondly due to how aesthetically pleasing he was to watch.

Which is directly related to his skill level really.

rintinw

Oct 9, 2014
Does it? It just shows they had little to choose from in terms of who's taking the opening faceoff on the PK. I don't remember, though, when the league changed the rule where all penalties result in a faceoff in the defensive zone automatically upon restart. Before that, teams could afford to put a subpar faceoff man on the PK more often.

Before 2008-09 season: NHL Approves Rule Changes on Faceoffs, Icing

And the drop off was in the middle of the season, therefore it could not be rule changes, there were no new players more suited for PK, only real change was head coach.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Until the playoffs start maybe.

To be fair though Dionne's Kings weren't constructed to do very well in the playoffs and yes Dionne should be docked some for that but people often forget how great he was around these parts.

I mean christ, Dionne had 16 straight seasons where he scored 77 points (his rookie total) or more and 8 seasons of 107-137 points.

At some point that should outshine his mediocre playoff resume one would think but for some it doesn't.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Sure there is some truth to that but truth be told isn't this the case for most beloved players?

The fact of the matter is that often the "narrative" around a player is more compelling than the "facts" or actual statistical evidence.

Comparing Maurice Richard and Jagr is a prime example of that as the narrative around Jagr is often not supported by the facts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad