Proposal: Malkin vs Bergeron / Marchand

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Something around Malkin vs Bergeron and Marchand could it be possible?

Pittsburgh get: the Crosby/Bergeron/Marchand line
Boston get: a Allstar #1 center

Who adds?

Like the Pens , but Boston don't touch this deal . I like it from the Pens side and would love Boston to do it

pierre gagnon*

Mar 15, 2013
St. Catharines
He sure wasn't mailing it in when he was carrying his linemates around in the playoffs. Talert wise geno is better than bergeron and cup wise he has has exceeded him. Funny isn't it, a disinterested player can be such a vital part to 2 cups and 3 final appearances.

Its kind of funny the 2 guys with leaf avatars saying Bergeron is nowhere near Malkins level. Coach Babcock would take the most effective 200 foot player in the game over a superior 50 foot player. Bergeron's advanced stats speak for themselves. When a guy like Tavares just gushes over Bergy and says he is the hardest player to play against in the game, you have to listen to those in the know. Sure malkin gets 20 more points a year but Bergy prevents 40 more easily.

Last edited:

Mike Hasselhoffman

Bell Centre Baywatch
Sep 17, 2011
As a Habs fan who hates everything Bruins, I have to say Boston says hell no.

Bergeron is consistently one of the best two-way centres in the league and Marchand is a top-notch winger. Malkin is great, but injuries are a real concern, and I'd argue that Bergeron is the more valuable piece given all that he brings to the table

Drew4u

Jul 22, 2016
Not sure why Malkin gets so overrated. The guy gets injured every year. Bergeron is by far better defensivly and will put up more points (since malkin is injured).. and they have to add Marchand. I wouldnt trade Bergy for Malkin if im the bruins. This is coming from a bruins hater but i think Bergeron is one of the best

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
I can think of at least one person he doesn't outscore, but there's no sense in belaboring this argument since it sounds like everyone is happy with the player they have. It's nice when things work out like that.

He outscores Malkin when he plays him, he actually frustrates Malkin so badly that in the past Malkin has started a fight with him. So it can't be Malkin you are talking about, Bergeron usually comes out with more points head to head against Malkin. Who are you talking about?

pierre gagnon*

Mar 15, 2013
St. Catharines
He outscores Malkin when he plays him, he actually frustrates Malkin so badly that in the past Malkin has started a fight with him. So it can't be Malkin you are talking about, Bergeron usually comes out with more points head to head against Malkin. Who are you talking about?

I know for a fact it is not Sid either, head to head Bergy out scores him the last few years, same for the plus minus. It is so bad that the Pittsburgh coaching staff has taken sid away from going against him.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh

I know for a fact it is not Sid either, head to head Bergy out scores him the last few years, same for the plus minus. It is so bad that the Pittsburgh coaching staff has taken sid away from going against him.

If the Pens played the Bruins 82 games per year you guys would totally have me there. Good thing they don't, so yes, it's fair to say that Malkin outproduces Bergeron (I don't mean to be scandalous, but Crosby does too).

Seriously, there's no need to be petulant and snarky because someone thinks Malkin is a better player than Bergeron. I like Bergeron. I think he's a great player. I think Malkin is better. YMMV.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
As a neutral fan, I think Bergeron and Malkin have similar value. The difference certainly isn't Marchand.

If I'm Boston, I'd rather have Bergeron. He's less injury prone and that's important for a 1C.
If I'm Pittsburgh, I'd also rather have Boston because I think he would be a better fit as 2C behind Crosby.
In a vacuum, I think Malkin has more value though. He's the better player IMO.

Russian Factor

Jan 8, 2015
Pittsburgh
(as for OP, Pens would probably have to add Maatta. Value wise that would probaly be fair imo. Bergeron/Beak have tremendous defensive impacts)

HuskyBruinPride

Aug 1, 2011
I would agree that when healthy and on the ice Malkin is a better player than Bergeron, although, I think it is much closer than it was 5 years ago (Malkin has declined)

I just don't see any way this deal works for Boston. They get a bit better at #1 center, and deal away one of the better LW in hockey to get this marginal improvement.

Boston doesn't address their team needs, and as they are giving away a multiple Selke winner they are actually weakening their weakest position (team defense). Boston doesn't get younger.

I don't know that Pittsburgh does it, but I know Boston doesn't

Nailed it

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
Everyone makes it seem like Bergeron/Marchand don't have any health concerns of their own.

What are you talking about. Marchand has played full seasons in all but his rookie year and Bergeron has for three years straight now. If there are any "concerns" they are tiny compared to Malkins.

KBobs

Dec 26, 2013
Canada
more and more we learn the myth about toews having better pr than bergeron.

as bergeron wins his selkes... as he scores with toews... as he excels on the world stage... it gets more difficult to defend an argument that toews is much better than bergeron.

now toews is sometimes defended as the best player in nhl... ive seen people argue he is better than crosby...

its very very very subjective

yzerman scored 140 points... and people said he wasnt a winner... than he scored 100 while checking and people called him a god

those extra 40 points didnt matter

how many points does bergeron leave on the table?

bergeron is skated head to head against the top scorers in the nhl... and is a plus player. bergeron outscored pretty much anyone he plays. he shuts them down and then scores against them to add insult to injury

malkin might be one of the top 5 best offensive players in the game. but i still take bergeron over him if im rebuilding a team... and if malkin is slightly more valuable, that contract kills the advantage

its not a deal i like for boston... and if marchand is included its not a deal pittsbugh can afford

Great post

pown

We are team
Oct 12, 2013
Ottawa
value is not even close

Pit would have to add big time

Neutral fan saying Bergy currently has more value then Malkin

Boston would never do this cmon now

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Neutral fan, Pittsburgh would have to add. It's probably not as much as Boston fans think, but still an add.

Bergeron and Malkin are fairly similar in value. Marchand's value at this point is that of a quality rental player because of needing a new deal after this year. I'd say something like a 1st and either a solid roster player or high end prospect is probably fair.

So the deal would probably have to be something like Malkin, Maatta, 1st for Bergeron, Marchand. IMO that's pretty fair. Malkin is probably the best player in the deal, but his health concerns are real, he makes a ton of money in comparison to Bergeron, Malkin might score more but Bergeron is the more complete player.

So basically Boston gets fairly compensated for a quality UFA winger by getting a 1st and a solid young dman and adds a top flight offensive center, while Pittsburgh adds 2 quality players, one that slots in perfectly behind Crosby as the best "2C" in the game and another that can play on his wing.

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
If the Pens played the Bruins 82 games per year you guys would totally have me there. Good thing they don't, so yes, it's fair to say that Malkin outproduces Bergeron (I don't mean to be scandalous, but Crosby does too).

Seriously, there's no need to be petulant and snarky because someone thinks Malkin is a better player than Bergeron. I like Bergeron. I think he's a great player. I think Malkin is better. YMMV.

People were talking about how Bergeron usually out scores anyone that he plays against. People were talking about this and Malkin. You said you can think of one player who outscores Bergeron and it seemed like you were inferring that Malkin outscores him. The thing with that is that Malkin doesn't outscore him usually so I don't know what you are talking about and I asked.

The fact is that Bergeon outscores both Malkin and Crosby head to head for the last few years anyway. So who is it that outscores Bergeron? I am sure there is someone but it's not either of the Pens top two centers.

People were talking about head to head match ups. Just in case you didn't understand that and incorrectly asserted something into the conversation.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Would think Bergeron holds a bit more value than Malkin - if both were made available.
Then Marchand would be pretty costly.

But it'd be awfully fun to watch Marchand - Crosby - Bergeron develop some chemistry over a full year. They're dominant over two games (Bergie and Sid have always played well together) in a best on best tournament and it's fun to imagine what they'd do to average NHLers over a whole season.
We'd probably, finally, see the best that Sid has to offer as Bergeron seems to be one of very very few players that actually makes Crosby better.
The turnovers and odd man rushes they would create.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
People were talking about how Bergeron usually out scores anyone that he plays against. People were talking about this and Malkin. You said you can think of one player who outscores Bergeron and it seemed like you were inferring that Malkin outscores him. The thing with that is that Malkin doesn't outscore him usually so I don't know what you are talking about and I asked.

The fact is that Bergeon outscores both Malkin and Crosby head to head for the last few years anyway. So who is it that outscores Bergeron? I am sure there is someone but it's not either of the Pens top two centers.

People were talking about head to head match ups. Just in case you didn't understand that and incorrectly asserted something into the conversation.

"People" weren't talking about anything, it was a back and forth discussion between myself and one other person and I'm not the one who asserted something into a conversation I wasn't part of.

You seem really upset that I think Malkin is a better player than Bergeron and made a throwaway sarcastic comment about it. It seems to be making you intent on proving something, although I'm not sure why. In the spirit of friendship, here we go: Bergeron outscores Malkin head to head when they play one another a few games per year and even though Malkin outproduces Bergeron the rest of the time, I'm very very sorry that I so cavalierly used sarcasm to illustrate my thoughts that Malkin is, in fact, a better player.

Turn that frown upside down, it's just the internet and we can all keep our own players. Yay!

Kitchener Boy

Apr 9, 2012
Kitchener
"People" weren't talking about anything, it was a back and forth discussion between myself and one other person and I'm not the one who asserted something into a conversation I wasn't part of.

You seem really upset that I think Malkin is a better player than Bergeron and made a throwaway sarcastic comment about it. It seems to be making you intent on proving something, although I'm not sure why. In the spirit of friendship, here we go: Bergeron outscores Malkin head to head when they play one another a few games per year and even though Malkin outproduces Bergeron the rest of the time, I'm very very sorry that I so cavalierly used sarcasm to illustrate my thoughts that Malkin is, in fact, a better player.

Turn that frown upside down, it's just the internet and we can all keep our own players. Yay!

There's no fact on that.
Bergeron is a better all around two way player.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Would the Bruins be a better team with Malkin than Bergeron.

I have my doubts.
Not to mention these guys may move back to Russia and leave you hanging at any moment.

No interest.

Malkin has been in the US for over a decade. He built an enormous house here, got married here, lives here in the off-season, refers to his son as a Pittsburgher, and just called Pittsburgh his second hometown in an interview. He's as much a flight risk as Crosby or Bergeron.

As far whether the Bruins would be a better team with Malkin, I'd defer to your opinion on that since you're the Bruins fan. I'd say just from what I know the blueline is a much bigger concern for them than swapping centers around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad