Proposal: Malkin vs Bergeron / Marchand

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Pittsburgh adds. Boston already has a #1 all-star center in bergeron and a top end LW in Marchand. On top of all that it's been over 4 years since Malkin has played even 70 games.

bigbadbruins1

Dec 12, 2008
Pitt adds a significant piece. Malkin is a great center but as stated before I would be concerned with injuries. I think the value would be closer to bergeron for malkin, maybe with a small add on either side.
Even then I don't see the Bruins biting.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I would agree that when healthy and on the ice Malkin is a better player than Bergeron, although, I think it is much closer than it was 5 years ago (Malkin has declined)

I just don't see any way this deal works for Boston. They get a bit better at #1 center, and deal away one of the better LW in hockey to get this marginal improvement.

Boston doesn't address their team needs, and as they are giving away a multiple Selke winner they are actually weakening their weakest position (team defense). Boston doesn't get younger.

I don't know that Pittsburgh does it, but I know Boston doesn't

ReggiesLemons

Jul 4, 2013
No thanks here. Pittsburgh would definitely need to add. As others have mentioned, Malkin's history of injuries is worrisome for me.

Boston's biggest need is on defense. Trading away their best LW just adds another hole on the roster. Ideally Boston would look to trade Spooner or Krejci for some help on D.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I'd take malkin over bergeron or Marchand easily. Both aren't in the same region of trade value as hum. Together though they are a bit more valuable and pit would aDD a bit. But the pens would never trade geno.

rhinoshawarma

Nov 15, 2014
I wouldn't trade Bergeron for Malkin alone if I was Boston, with those health concerns and all...

Bergeron + Marchand? add big

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Malkin does not get you Bergeron straight up.

To get both out of Boston it would require a package that included Letang a young D man, Malkin. Nice to dream but Boston will no more trade Bergeron than Pitts will trade Crosby. They will have to settle for being teammates in international play. As a Habs fan let it be at the world championships this spring after both the Pens and Bruins miss the playoffs:)

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
Everyone makes it seem like Bergeron/Marchand don't have any health concerns of their own.

The only time Marchand didn't play close to a full season was his rookie year. He has zero health concerns.

Bergeron was last concussed in 2011 and has played 80+ games the last three seasons. He has a history, but its not a "concern."

Brewins

Apr 23, 2015
Everyone makes it seem like Bergeron/Marchand don't have any health concerns of their own.

marchy has been healthy minus maybe a concussion a few years ago. Bergy has his history of concussions but has missed only 1-2 games per year going back to 2010-11.

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
Boston has no interest in moving Bergeron. And very little interest in moving marchand. If a team wants either of them they will be over paying by a lot.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh adds but I disagree that Malkin doesn't get you Bergeron straight up. It's irrelevant anyway as the trade doesn't make sense for either team.

jaystelestrator

Jun 21, 2012
Something around Malkin vs Bergeron and Marchand could it be possible?

Pittsburgh get: the Crosby/Bergeron/Marchand line
Boston get: a Allstar #1 center

Who adds?

As a Pens fan this is extremely intriguing and we certainly add. Bergeron, imo, impacts games just as much as Malkin, albeit in different ways. With that said, Boston probably has no interest in this, and Malkin is a Pen for as long as the future sees.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
Value or not it couldn't happen based on Cap hit alone. Malkin's hit is $9.5M, Bergeron and Marchand together is $11.375 (ignoring the fact that Marchand will get a raise after this season. This leaves a difference of $1.875M. To balance the Cap hit the Pens would have to throw in either Fehr ($2M) or Bonino ($1.9M). I am fairly confident in saying that Malkin and Fehr don't get it done. Malkin and Bonino might, but in any situation where Malkin is being traded then the HBK line needs to stay together as the #2 line.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Why do the Penguins do this exactly? Trading Malkin for 2 wingers (yes, I know Bergeron is a center but the OP intends on him being a winger for Crosby) doesn't help us at all. The Pens only need 1 top-6 winger to have the best top-6 in the league, that's it. That being said, I'd love Marchand here. A top-6 of:

Marchand-Crosby-Hornqvist
Hagelin-Malkin-Kessel

Would be filthy.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Why do the Penguins do this exactly? Trading Malkin for 2 wingers (yes, I know Bergeron is a center but the OP intends on him being a winger for Crosby) doesn't help us at all. The Pens only need 1 top-6 winger to have the best top-6 in the league, that's it. That being said, I'd love Marchand here. A top-6 of:

Marchand-Crosby-Hornqvist
Hagelin-Malkin-Kessel

Would be filthy.

Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron
Hagelin-Bonino-Kessel

Would be filthier

And saying Bergeron would be a winger is disingenious... you know he'd be the 1C on the PK and would be transitioned to center in a flash if the situation warranted it, with Hornqvist taking his spot. That's huge flexibility. It would be like putting Zetterberg on Crosby's wing in 2008.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Something around Malkin vs Bergeron and Marchand could it be possible?

Pittsburgh get: the Crosby/Bergeron/Marchand line
Boston get: a Allstar #1 center

Who adds?

Pittsburgh adds. Boston already has a #1 all-star center in bergeron and a top end LW in Marchand. On top of all that it's been over 4 years since Malkin has played even 70 games.

Two things. First off, Marchand would have to come with a new contract (or at least be willing to sign one in PIT). But if he's willing to sign a contract in Boston, why would Boston trade a good top 6 winger and a great #2C for Malkin? They already have very good center depth with Krejci and Bergeron. The difference (for BOS) between Malkin and Bergeron isn't Marchand. And while PIT adds, it's not like they're overflowing with assets that they could add that would make sense for either side.

Secondly, Pittsburgh wouldn't get a Crosby/Bergeron/Marchand line, as they (just like Boston) need Bergeron to be their #2C. Bonino (who doesn't have a contract past this year - and who PIT would be hard pressed to afford if they had Marchand at 6-7m) who was great in the playoffs, is not a #2C. That HBK line was amazing, because he had an allstar winger in Kessel there. But as an every day thing, there's serious doubts among Pen fans that Bonino can play the #2C role full time.

So yeah, Boston says hell no unless PIT adds something significant (which they likely can't afford) and PIT says yes until they see what BOS would want them to add, where they'd then say hell no.

PensFan12

Apr 12, 2016
Malkin does not get you Bergeron straight up.

To get both out of Boston it would require a package that included Letang a young D man, Malkin. Nice to dream but Boston will no more trade Bergeron than Pitts will trade Crosby. They will have to settle for being teammates in international play. As a Habs fan let it be at the world championships this spring after both the Pens and Bruins miss the playoffs:)

Are you seriously saying the Bergeron and Marchand would require Malkin, Letang and a young d man???

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad