News Article: Malkin seeking $10M per year with contract extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA
$8.7m over 12 years would be around $9.6m over 8 years. Taking into account the added security Sid gets for 4 years of elite salary...yeah I could see this contract having a cap hit upwards of that amount.

@Comrade Chris - That's one of the worst trade proposals I've ever seen. I'm dumber for having looked at it. If that's your plan - to dumb Shero down with that slop until he's stupid enough to accept it - well played.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
@Comrade Chris - That's one of the worst trade proposals I've ever seen. I'm dumber for having looked at it. If that's your plan - to dumb Shero down with that slop until he's stupid enough to accept it - well played.

No, we need Kyle Quincy :sarcasm:

Just pay Malkin the money. When teams all over the league are paying $6 million for the likes of Zajac and $8 million for the likes of Getzlaf I'm fine giving Malkin a $1.3 million raise.

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
Give it to him. He deserves it. Pay the man.

As soon as he signs his extension I will finally get a Malkin jersey.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I don't realy like Malkin for $10 million. That's nearly 1/3 of the cap tied up in two players. The cap has gone down and Malkin hasn't really become drastically better since his last $8.7 million contract. He might want the same dollar value that Sid's getting, but Sid signed his contract at a different time and he'll be taking a paycut at the end of his career that Malkin won't ever have to take.

http://stats.nhlnumbers.com/teams/PIT?year=2010

Was the same way the first year they were both on their last contracts. Just have to wait for cap inflation to take care of it. Can't lose a guy like Malkin over dollars, particularly with Staal gone. Penguins have nobody in the organization who can remotely backfill him, nor will any such guy become available.

Also, to put something in perspective, $10 million per would tie him for sixth highest salary in the league when his deal kicks in.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
After the CBA came out I spent a week trying to figure out the best case scenario for us with Malkin and concluded an 8 year 10 mil per was the only way we could get him close to fair market and still fulfill all the inane little regs the CBA has... 10 mil is probably best case scenario and is only a small raise for him. It wont be an even 10 mil either... they can sway the money some to make him more tradeable down the road if need be

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Malkin gets what Malkin wants. End of discussion.

Not if its 13M+, we can't afford that with a 9M Crosby and 8M Letang(Norris candidate!). Pens would then be screwed for a long long time and have no wingers for many many years and be shut down all the time not making it very far every post season.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Not if its 13M+, we can't afford that with a 9M Crosby and 8M Letang(Norris candidate!). Pens would then be screwed for a long long time and have no wingers for many many years and be shut down all the time not making it very far every post season.

And this would be any different how?

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Right now we can afford wingers, but half the cap in 3 players is a recipe for failure, still gotta spread money out for everyone else.

We can afford them, but we still don't have any that can create on their own (except for Beau)

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

I hope Malkin demands 13M. Will make another year of Dupuis on Sid's wing impossible.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
I'm not worried if Malkin's cap hit is $10m. The cap was rumored to be going back up to $70m+ the year it would kick in anyways.

I'm more concerned about Letang's cap hit. I like Tanger but we have SO many D coming through the pipeline soon. If the Pens management doesn't care about winning a cup and keeping this coaching staff and Fleury, then why the hell should I?

If Tanger wants $8m a year, trade him to the Avalanche for the 1st overall pick. Their D sucks and Letang/Johnson could actually be a monster pairing.

I'd rather they not trade Malkin. If we don't give a **** about winning the cup, I at least want to hear his interviews after each game :sarcasm:

Fordy

May 28, 2008
We should give Crosby and Malkin half our cap since they're at least half the team.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Not surprised. He will get something over 9mil a year in my opinion. 10mil is probably what hes asking for and they will agree on something slightly less.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
10 mil cap hit would be reasonable and about what I expected, even if I hoped Geno would be extra generous and sign for a little less.

But Corey Perry gets 8.625 mil per these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad