News Article: Malkin seeking $10M per year with contract extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
It's only a 1.3MM difference if he gets exactly 10M/year. Hell, you can find that kind of change in the seat cushions of your 4th-line

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
That's almost exactly the article Rossi wrote. He should sue for plagiarism.

Edit: nevermind. I didn't see that light blue lettering that sourced it.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
This doesn't mean that he'll be getting $10m. It's the start of negotiations. His higher point.

Will likely end up around $8.5-$9m

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
So as far as I'm concerned the negotiations are done now. Geno said what he wants.

Exactly. If Geno wants $10 million per year, pay the man. Give him $80 million for 8 years and it's great deal for the team. He'd get less than Sid will get for the next 8 years so that would count as discount for the team.

66_Lemieux_66

Jul 11, 2007
Central New Jersey
"PAY THE MAN!!!"

60837-teddy.jpg

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
This doesn't mean that he'll be getting $10m. It's the start of negotiations. His higher point.

Will likely end up around $8.5-$9m

No chance of Malkin getting a lesser cap hit than his current deal is. Just no chance. Just look at what Perry signed for (8 years, $8.625 million cap hit). Malkin is much better than Perry.

Gooch

May 28, 2008
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
Eh, it could be like Crosby in that he was front loaded that kind of money in the beginning and that is what Malkin wants. In the end I feel Malkin will have the same caphit as Crosby just like last time.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
Eh, it could be like Crosby in that he was front loaded that kind of money in the beginning and that is what Malkin wants. In the end I feel Malkin will have the same caphit as Crosby just like last time.

Except you can't really front-load deals anymore like Pens did with Crosby. The maximum years you can give a player is 8, so that leaves very little options to front-load a deal to Malkin and have the cap hit go down to $8.7.

If Malkin were to sign a 8 year deal with a cap hit of $8.7 million, that would mean he'd get $16.8 million less than Crosby will get during his first 8 years. Let that sink in for a moment. $16.8 million is a lot of money to leave on the table on top of whaever discount Crosby already gave to the team!

lettuceAA

Dec 16, 2010
Noway he makes more per year then crosby, whether he deserves it not, it just won't happen.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
Noway he makes more per year then crosby, whether he deserves it not, it just won't happen.

Crosby will make $10.8 million per year for the next 8 years. That's the potential cap for Malkin's new deal, not Crosby's $8.7 million cap hit.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Crosby will make $10.8 million per year for the next 8 years. That's the potential cap for Malkin's new deal, not Crosby's $8.7 million cap hit.

Anything under that then should be viewed as a gift.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
My guess/hope has been Malkin at 10m and Letang at 7m, so this would be good news. Based on the HRR this season, after a third consecutive lockout, I feel strongly the cap will be close to 70m by the time these contracts kick in.

If Shero can lock these two up for anything around a combined 5m total increase agt. the cap, be happy. Be very happy.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
That 5M Fleury Buy-out sure would be great... if only Disco Dan weren't here to foil the plan. Then you could give Letang his 7M too and possibly even sign Iggy. Fleury Buyout, Kennedy FA by themselves... is 7M. Bears repeating so I did.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
That 5M Fleury Buy-out sure would be great... if only Disco Dan weren't here to foil the plan. Then you could give Letang his 7M too and possibly even sign Iggy. Fleury Buyout, Kennedy FA by themselves... is 7M.

When one looks at the gravestone that is Sid's and Geno's career together, those might be the only words that need to be printed. :cry:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
If that's accurate, I feel much better. 10 million a year is very do-able for Evgeni Malkin. I wouldn't go so far as calling it a huge discount, or anything. But it's still encouraging.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad