News Article: Malkin Opens up about 18-19 season

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Re: Kessel

I'm honestly pretty shocked about that, but it makes sense, I think.

And Russians (and Slavs in general) tend to have a hard time opening up, and the language barrier doesn't really help. I'm glad we have Galy for that, if nothing else-- kind of like Jagr and Hrdina in the early 90s. I feel for Geno. Соболезнование, товарищ!

I think Galchenyuk and Malkin are going to be quick friends. Hopefully Geno is able to pull out Galy's potential and Galy can help Geno get back to where he once was.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
My point is a team like Toronto or Washington focuses a ton of its efforts on Russia or turning over every stone.

Or team doesn’t. I don’t think that is a critique towards a Russian bias rather an allocation of money and time.

Fair enough - but given that we could focus effort towards Russia, and that doing so would increase the chances of having a few people who our 2nd most important player can talk to stress free, it seems to me that maybe we should. I get we can't be super totally on top of everything but it's an option we have.

And while getting a Russian doesn't equal getting Geno's best friend for life, the communication thing is big. Having a few options where its not an issue takes the sting out of it. Hell, I allegedly speak the language as all of you and I still get frustrated by the communication barrier in the States at times.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
Malkin being back on top of his game would be so huge for this team. We'd instantly be contenders and one of the favorites if we tweaked our blueline. Ok, maybe dumping JJ is more than a tweak but you get the point. Topflight motivated Geno=wins.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
I think at this point, I'm just hoping that Angry Geno = The Geno who torched Tampa and stared Lasers through them afterwards.

And unrealistically hoping he can keep it up for a full season.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Saying that Penguins should draft more Russians for Malkin is laughable. Not all Russians get along just like other players from the same country. Just because Malkin is friends with Radulov or Kovalchuk doesn't mean hes close buddies with Ovy, Kuznetsov, or any other Russian player.

Countrymen don't need to be BFF to provide a solid support system for eachother. Simply having someone who speaks your language and shares your culture can make all the difference.

Imagine going to the KHL and being the sole North American on Magnitogorsk. Would having 1-2 other Americans on the team do wonders for your comfort level?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Fair enough - but given that we could focus effort towards Russia, and that doing so would increase the chances of having a few people who our 2nd most important player can talk to stress free, it seems to me that maybe we should. I get we can't be super totally on top of everything but it's an option we have.

And while getting a Russian doesn't equal getting Geno's best friend for life, the communication thing is big. Having a few options where its not an issue takes the sting out of it. Hell, I allegedly speak the language as all of you and I still get frustrated by the communication barrier in the States at times.

Seems silly to base something as hit or miss as drafting on such a specific need. And even if you are saying we should’ve used our later picks. Most years until recently we only had 3 - 5 draft picks.

Sure, I’d prefer if they would have taken a chance with Panarin or Radulov, but at the same time our team really can’t take those type of cap risks even if it did work out.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Crosby: constructed in a lab to create the perfect franchise center/captain.

Malkin: defected from RSL to come to Pittsburgh, only causes problems in 13th season after 3 Cups despite being overshadowed the entire time. Responds to public question of him by getting into great shape to win again.

Mitch Marner:

Two good ones for sure. Will never get anything better.

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
Can't wait for Geno and Chucky putting in work together this season. Both coming in extremely motivated for their own reasons and i think offensively they should mesh well together. As far as i know Galcenyuk also speaks Russian.

Im expecting a career year for Chucky and a top 3 season in the last decade for Geno. Kessel won't be missed to be honest, at least in term of team success this upcoming season.

Or that's the way i see it. People are sleeping on the Pens so hard this year.
I agree. I really like our roster this year we are VERY deep. A lot of young hungry forwards who are looking to prove themselves. Also, we gained a LOT of speed.

2wayPlay

Dec 25, 2018
When this era is over... we are going to look back and realize we lived in the golden era. Just remember that. You don't actually have to wait for the time to say "the good ole days." We are living them. Eat it up.

I think you are confusing us with Patriot fans Cole. Now that’s a golden era

The Greatest 101

Dec 10, 2013
Manchuria
Why not talk something about his most common linemate Jack Johnson?

I read the full article. I’m kind of glad Phil’s gone, but I don’t think the the coming season will be much different as the last one if the defense corps remains the same. Also not sure how he’s going to solve his family stuff if his wife doesn’t want to live in Pitts. It will only get worse.

Reactions: JackFr

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I'd like to hear what, if anything, Johnson did differently this offseason in order to get back to something close to what he was a few years ago. We heard from Geno, now him.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018

Saw this embedded in the Pensburgh article with regards to Malkin and our defenders. Sample sizes are small but results are definitely curious.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad