News Article: Malkin Opens up about 18-19 season

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Well.... after 2+ years of bitching about it... can’t say I am surprised. Such a shame JR was not proactive.

Hopefully we see a positive effect on Geno this season.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
I think they said he was dropping some weight and improving his agility and foot speed.
When he's in position, he's mostly serviceable. He knows how to get in lanes and has no fear of blocking shots and can still outmuscle guys in close.

The main problem with him imo, is that he starts running around like a headless chicken whenever things get chaotic. He chases guys into corners or around the net and completely loses focus of what he's supposed to be doing. I don't think any amount of training can fix that at this point of his career.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I think I recall reading that Tanev speaks Russian as well. He was born in NA but I swear I read it somewhere? Anyone confirm?

So it turns out that the room was a problem, as was consistently reported. I remember when they picked up Gudzilla, they said being good in the room was a major factor. I know everyone freaked about "pushback" and glossed over that aspect, but the deal makes more sense now.

ETA: Maybe it was Macedonian? :laugh:

Tanev is Macedonian, so he and Geno wouldn’t really understand anything unless they were discussing bible verses.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
How are people shocked?

Was obvious Kessel was a huge facfor in Malkins decline 5 on 5.

Geno just had over 100 points the previous season to that.

Cant wait to see him play with Galchenyuk. With both players excited to have a better upcoming season.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
When he's in position, he's mostly serviceable. He knows how to get in lanes and has no fear of blocking shots and can still outmuscle guys in close.

The main problem with him imo, is that he starts running around like a headless chicken whenever things get chaotic. He chases guys into corners or around the net and completely loses focus of what he's supposed to be doing. I don't think any amount of training can fix that at this point of his career.

I'd mostly agree.

I'd add that if he could move the puck quickly and competently, we could live with that. You expect flaws in a guy on his money. But he's got us coming and going with that combination.

Reactions: canadianguy77

CertifiedLurker

Aug 13, 2016
How are people shocked?

Cant wait to see him play with Galchenyuk. With both players excited to have a better upcoming season.
You misspelled Johnson, who was statistically the reason for their decline as backed up by the numbers.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
You misspelled Johnson, who was statistically the reason for their decline as backed up by the numbers.

a) Two players can both be huge factors
b) I can't believe I'm saying this, but this is definitely a case where the eye test suggests a deeper dig at the stats (at the very least) is needed. Malkin and Kessel's lack of chemistry, and Malkin's frustration, was really obvious. Johnson didn't help, he helped nobody, but Malkin and Kessel didn't help themselves either.

And Malkin and Kessel's month of wonders at the start of the season aside, the team scored more with Malkin and Johnson on ice compared to Malkin and Kessel; it's not like they blossomed away from his malign influence.

Johnson *was* a problem, and probably will continue to be, but he wasn't the only problem and other problems shouldn't be allowed to hide behind him.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Saw this embedded in the Pensburgh article with regards to Malkin and our defenders. Sample sizes are small but results are definitely curious.

Honestly, this is my big problem with people who just blame all of the second line's problems on Johnson (and yes, there are still people who do that based on reddit comments). It's not that Johnson was good last year, he was bad, but saying the problems on the second line are his fault is just blatantly dishonest and just scapegoating a guy you don't like. It's just intellectually lazy.

No he wasn't, unless you cherrypick 1 chart and are incapable of actually coming up with your own argument.

The problems with the second line were mostly between Kessel, Malkin and Sullivan. A single hockeyviz chart with no supporting context does not override that fact. The Johnson-Schultz pair was the biggest drag on that 2nd line, but just blaming Johnson (when Pettersson-Johnson with the 2nd line gave good results) is just insanely biased.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Yeah, you can't fix the stupid that Johnson has, but you can be in better shape to allow the stupid to have less of an impact. Johnson's nonexistent hockey IQ will always cap how effective of a player he can be, but being faster (assuming he has gotten faster) will definitely lessen the negative impact of his nonexistent hockey IQ. I know he was playing with Pettersson and it was a small sample size, but if Gudbranson can play a solid and simple game, I don't see why Johnson can't do that.

Now we actually have to see if Johnson has actually gotten any faster or not. I have my doubts.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Phil has specifically taken digs at our management?

Like I said. If you want to talk Sully is a bozo conspiracy theories Pens X and John Titor still post around here.

This idea that Sullivan wants a team full of players that listen to coaching is not unique and given the respect he has for Malkin and the Tocchet interview where Sullivan basically told Tocchet to cool his jets about Geno lends very little to what you’re selling aside from your hurt he scratched your boy Sprong like every other NHL head coach Sprong has had.

Those two years are meant to be rough bookends of the sample you’re referring to. Scroll to any year. What you’re saying makes little sense given the absolutely tiny amount of Russians. There are none to ice with Malkin.

As far as “catering” I think you forget we also PTOed Gonchar and brought him in as coach. The team brought Plotnikov over. They were in on Panarin. Malkin asked Radulov to take a short term, low cap hit deal to play in Pittsburgh. They asked Malkin to give them a number to donate for the tragedy in Metalurg (sp?) and then wrote a check for that amount. I’m sure I’m missing other things.

Rutherford on Plotnikov:

Rutherford assembled a team to help a foreign UDFA... but he doesn’t care to help out Geno?

(I’ll have to find it, but I also know I’ve read from Yohe that Geno didn’t appreciate JR just going and getting a Russian winger for him.)

The team and/or org shows no evidence of bias towards Russians. Only thing I’ll say for Geno is that he’s been hurt by Crosby sometimes getting the better linemates, but even that’s iffy.

The draft table is mostly meant to show that hardly any Russians are drafted in general, and that the whole league picks very few prospects from there. Also HCMS has no influence on who we draft. JR mostly signs off on the picks based on who the amateur scouting dept. recommends.

It's not a conspiracy theory. Sullivan clearly had issues with Cole, Kessel, Sprong, and Plotnikov. Offense-only players and those who talk out of turn earn ire and aren't long for the team unless they are elite in their field, and even that only earns a stay of execution. These issues are not exclusive to Sullivan among coaches, but they are magnified with him, and these traits are often more common in Russian NHLers which likely contributes to our relative lack of them in spite of having some very compelling reasons to have a familiar presence for Geno. The other part of it is that from Shero onward, our draft focus has primarily been on finding safer complementary talents who are good bets to play here rather than home run swings, which also minimizes the Russian influence.

Now that Galchenyuk's here, hopefully that will help ease some of Geno's feeling of isolation. @CheckingLineCenter's list of "catering" to Geno is painfully small (and zero risk) relative to the time he's been here and his importance to the team. Gusev? Kovalchuk? Shipachyov? Radulov...in spite of Malkin's overtures? Not on our radar.

Honestly, this is my big problem with people who just blame all of the second line's problems on Johnson (and yes, there are still people who do that based on reddit comments). It's not that Johnson was good last year, he was bad, but saying the problems on the second line are his fault is just blatantly dishonest and just scapegoating a guy you don't like. It's just intellectually lazy.

No he wasn't, unless you cherrypick 1 chart and are incapable of actually coming up with your own argument.

The problems with the second line were mostly between Kessel, Malkin and Sullivan. A single hockeyviz chart with no supporting context does not override that fact. The Johnson-Schultz pair was the biggest drag on that 2nd line, but just blaming Johnson (when Pettersson-Johnson with the 2nd line gave good results) is just insanely biased.

a) Two players can both be huge factors
b) I can't believe I'm saying this, but this is definitely a case where the eye test suggests a deeper dig at the stats (at the very least) is needed. Malkin and Kessel's lack of chemistry, and Malkin's frustration, was really obvious. Johnson didn't help, he helped nobody, but Malkin and Kessel didn't help themselves either.

And Malkin and Kessel's month of wonders at the start of the season aside, the team scored more with Malkin and Johnson on ice compared to Malkin and Kessel; it's not like they blossomed away from his malign influence.

Johnson *was* a problem, and probably will continue to be, but he wasn't the only problem and other problems shouldn't be allowed to hide behind him.

Kessel and Malkin's '18-'19 possession stats without JJ were actually better than their '17-'18 numbers. Johnson is the responsible party here:

Line Stats - Natural Stat Trick

We have the control, and we have the variable. What's the counter-argument to this? That Malkin was obviously frustrated with Kessel? When was that ever not the case?

If no major roster adjustments are made, Malkin and Galchenyuk will be seeing a lot of time with JJ, just as Malkin and Kessel did. People need to remember this and place blame where it belongs when there are bumps in the road.

Last edited:

Fordy

May 28, 2008
yeah i don't know how many times we have to go through this cycle of crosby or malkin struggling before people catch on that these two are generational talents that always deliver when set up properly. every time they hit a valley there's a camp of people that act like it's their fault even though there's always half a dozen other glaring problem players/combos/coaches that are demonstrably dragging them down. then when the problems are finally disposed of all of a sudden sid and geno are good as new? what a coincidence

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Kessel and Malkin's '18-'19 possession stats without JJ were actually better than their '17-'18 numbers. Johnson is the responsible party here:

We have the control, and we have the variable. What's the counter-argument to this? That Malkin was obviously frustrated with Kessel? When was that ever not the case?

If no major roster adjustments are made, Malkin and Galchenyuk will be seeing a lot of time with JJ, just as Malkin and Kessel did. People need to remember this and place blame where it belongs when there are bumps in the road.

You're basically proving my exact point: you're cherrypicking 1 chart (or the data behind 1 chart) while ignoring a ton of context, just because you want to scapegoat Johnson. Looking at WOWY stats for 1 combination and literally nothing is not an actual argument. It's intellectual dishonest and is just flat out lazy. You're just doing it because you're a Kessel truther that tries to deflect any blame for his ass play away from him.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
It's not a conspiracy theory. Sullivan clearly had issues with Cole, Kessel, Sprong, and Plotnikov. Offense-only players and those who talk out of turn earn ire and aren't long for the team unless they are elite in their field, and even that only earns a stay of execution. These issues are not exclusive to Sullivan among coaches, but they are magnified with him, and these traits are often more common in Russian NHLers which likely contributes to our relative lack of them in spite of having some very compelling reasons to have a familiar presence for Geno. The other part of it is that from Shero onward, our draft focus has primarily been on finding safer complementary talents who are good bets to play here rather than home run swings, which also minimizes the Russian influence.

Now that Galchenyuk's here, hopefully that will help ease some of Geno's feeling of isolation. @CheckingLineCenter's list of "catering" to Geno is painfully small (and zero risk) relative to the time he's been here and his importance to the team. Gusev? Kovalchuk? Shipachyov? Radulov...in spite of Malkin's overtures? Not on our radar.

How do you know none of those players were on our radar?

Also Galchenyuk is from Wisconsin.

Also not sure I’d refer to Cole or Plots as offensive only players and when did Sullivan have an issue with Plots.

We don’t have Russians because the majority of the league doesn’t and we’ve had so few draft picks spending them on a 50/50 flight risk is a terrible idea.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
How do you know none of those players were on our radar?

Nothing's for certain. We didn't hear anything about them and obviously none of them came.

Also Galchenyuk is from Wisconsin.

Yep, which sort of underlines my point. But he's of Russian descent and speaks the language, which serves the purpose.

Also not sure I’d refer to Cole or Plots as offensive only players and when did Sullivan have an issue with Plots.

They're not, naturally. But they were in Sully's bad books for not towing the party line, which was the other factor I cited.

Penguins' Plotnikov in Sullivan's doghouse for wanting to go back to Russia

We don’t have Russians because the majority of the league doesn’t and we’ve had so few draft picks spending them on a 50/50 flight risk is a terrible idea.

I'd say it's a worse idea to spend draft picks on low upside guys when we can simply sign UFA equivalents for nothing. Look at the run of mediocre d we drafted in '16 and '17. God forbid we miss out on a Connor Hall or Ryan Jones.

Last edited:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
You're basically proving my exact point: you're cherrypicking 1 chart (or the data behind 1 chart) while ignoring a ton of context, just because you want to scapegoat Johnson. Looking at WOWY stats for 1 combination and literally nothing is not an actual argument. It's intellectual dishonest and is just flat out lazy. You're just doing it because you're a Kessel truther that tries to deflect any blame for his ass play away from him.

ES production and possession are the stats most often used to evaluate forwards here, and I'm using the most recent 2 year sample size for Kessel and Geno with and without JJ. I'd say that's pretty comprehensive.

If you think I'm "cherry-picking" and ignoring "a ton of context", you can always post a counter-argument. What am I missing here?

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I'd say it's a worse idea to spend draft picks on low upside guys when we can simply sign UFA equivalents for nothing. Look at the run of mediocre d we drafted in '16 and '17. God forbid we miss out on a Connor Hall or Ryan Jones.

Like Rust (3 rd), Guentzel(3 rd), Murray(3 rd), Dominik Simon (5 rd)? You cant just cherry pick. These guys didn't have huge upside but became huge reasons why we won cups. But I guess we could of pick some boom or bust picks.

Also of recent , justin almeida (5 rd), Niclas Almari (5rd), Angello (5 rd), Lafferty (4 rd) are all guys who could make impacts this year or next.

There is an average of like 15 russians picked a year. 15 that means if your team picks one you have more than half of the NHL.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Like Rust (3 rd), Guentzel(3 rd), Murray(3 rd), Dominik Simon (5 rd)? You cant just cherry pick. These guys didn't have huge upside but became huge reasons why we won cups. But I guess we could of pick some boom or bust picks.

Also of recent , justin almeida (5 rd), Niclas Almari (5rd), Angello (5 rd), Lafferty (4 rd) are all guys who could make impacts this year or next.

There is an average of like 15 russians picked a year. 15 that means if your team picks one you have more than half of the NHL.

15 picks x 9 years.

And yes, we've had some draft success stories (mostly under Shero, and I'd argue that Guentzel had high upside and is the sort of selection we could use more of), but in recent years we've been putting a heavy emphasis on unremarkable picks. There's clearly room to aim higher with some of them.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
15 picks x 9 years.

And yes, we've had some draft success stories (mostly under Shero, and I'd argue that Guentzel had high upside and is the sort of selection we could use more of), but in recent years we've been putting a heavy emphasis on unremarkable picks. There's clearly room to aim higher with some of them.

This argument is ridiculously dumb.

We have 3 cups from picking the draft picks we picked. Guess who else has 1 or 2 Russians during that time frame on their roster. The other team with 3 cups.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Nothing's for certain. We didn't hear anything about them and obviously none of them came.

Panarian wasn’t even drafted. Odd. Also “Panarin got looks from more than half the league and received strong interest from six teams, according to the source.” how do you know we weren’t involved here?

Kovalchuk is old and Malkin and Radulov have a connection so I’d be surprised if we weren’t involved. Also, funny how that Radulov contract with Montreal was panned universally.
Yep, which sort of underlines my point. But he's of Russian descent and speaks the language, which serves the purpose.

Seemed to be fine win no Russians on his way to back to backs.

They're not, naturally. But they were in Sully's bad books for not towing the party line, which was the other factor I cited.

Penguins' Plotnikov in Sullivan's doghouse for wanting to go back to Russia

Plots was basically playing when we were the worst the team has ever been, then complained about it and got sent home. Dude sucked. Glad we got rid of him.

We have no idea what our picks are going to be. Much like most people disparaged our picks from 2011-2013 that ended up winning us a cup.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
This argument is ridiculously dumb.

We have 3 cups from picking the draft picks we picked. Guess who else has 1 or 2 Russians during that time frame on their roster. The other team with 3 cups.

The Hawks have had 2 prominent Russians on their roster over that timeframe, which is twice as many as we've had.

Neither was a clear lotto pick - one was a trade and the other was exactly the kind of skilled KHL signing we should be exploring more often.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
15 picks x 9 years.

Almeida is tracking great so far as a 5th rounder.

Simon was 5th round pick putting together an nhl career and jump in almost right away after the draft.

The redwings who became know for the late round pick steals have had almost twice the draft picks as the pens and have one player in the past 10 years to make it froms 4 and on.

This is a very flawed argument. Basically saying the pens don’t throw away enough picks hoping to find one guy in 10 years.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Tanev is Macedonian, so he and Geno wouldn’t really understand anything unless they were discussing bible verses.

What goes on in Macedonia? I assume...ya know, stuff, but Im too far removed to have any real idea.

How are people shocked?

Its like, how many comments and articles need tonnade and written citing Kessel as an issue before people realize he was an issue? Not all awkward laughs and hot dogs with the guy.

Its easier to blame one person if you're going to have a highly biased agenda. Presenting a logical argument is tough and most of these people are lazy so...blame JJ.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->