Malkin High Sticking Match Penalty (Suspended for One Game)

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Completely fine with the call.

As a referee you have to call that. And Malkin deserves something supplemental for the action. I'd go at least 4 games, but I doubt the NHL does.

But Raffl with the embellishment could overshadow this.

I hope it doesn't, because that could have been really bad, and wasn't just reckless - but malicious.

EDIT: Lol at Pens fans saying the punch was really bad. That happens, what, 15 times a game in a scrum?

According to some, it has never happened before...

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Pens win. As they have the majority of the time when they play the Caps when it matters :)
Good... try? I guess? The way you had to say "majority" really cast me back to all those unhappy memories, and didn't for a second remind me that Malkin was also a non-factor while the Capitals were trucking the Penguins on the way to their Cup win.

Exactly what's your end goal, here? To look like the guy doing the Penguin Defense Force thing in a thread that has no reasonable excuse for the Penguin's actions, or just to sidetrack into fanbase bickering until you can find some moral high ground to stand on? And how did I get you all pissy in the first place, it's not like it's way out of line to point out that teams gameplan specifically around pissing Malkin off and taking him out of the game (at the risk of triggering some kind of rage state where he plays out of his mind instead).

So all I did was answer your question (to somebody else). If I saw Malkin specifically doing that, I wouldn't be very bothered about it. I'd laugh at him, the same way I'd laugh at someone on the ice trying to do that to me. All it means is that every time we go after a loose puck from here on out, I know you're angry and distractable.

cliffclaven

Nov 29, 2018
It is amazing that anyone here is somehow defending Malkin. Should be 5 games. There is absolutely no reason for what he did. Raffl with the cheap shot? Then square up and drop the gloves.

Reactions: stampedingviking

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
Doesn't look like he was aiming for the head (or aiming at all for that matter)... I would say the match penalty + a fine seems fitting. I didnt watch the game was the Philly guy penalized for Cross-checking/hooking/punching in the head?

No, after the refs f***ed up and blew the whistle too early, they weren't calling anything on Philadelphia to make up for their mistake.

Reactions: Tweed

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Disgusting act by a dirty player in that regard. Luckily, it didn’t look like it hit him which is good. He won’t, and shouldn’t be suspended for more than a game. The act of swinging his stick at someone’s face is enough for a game, but since it didn’t make full contact, I wouldn’t be surprised to see one game. The league needs to do its due diligence. If not, I’m glad Sam Morin will be back to plant Malkin on his *** during the outdoor game

Last edited by a moderator:

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey
Good... try? I guess? The way you had to say "majority" really cast me back to all those unhappy memories, and didn't for a second remind me that Malkin was also a non-factor while the Capitals were trucking the Penguins on the way to their Cup win.

Exactly what's your end goal, here? To look like the guy doing the Penguin Defense Force thing in a thread that has no reasonable excuse for the Penguin's actions, or just to sidetrack into fanbase bickering until you can find some moral high ground to stand on? And how did I get you all pissy in the first place, it's not like it's way out of line to point out that teams gameplan specifically around pissing Malkin off and taking him out of the game (at the risk of triggering some kind of rage state where he plays out of his mind instead).

So all I did was answer your question (to somebody else). If I saw Malkin specifically doing that, I wouldn't be very bothered about it. I'd laugh at him, the same way I'd laugh at someone on the ice trying to do that to me. All it means is that every time we go after a loose puck from here on out, I know you're angry and distractable.

Dude, it was going to be a slash to the shoulder until Raffl skated away. #TomWilsonDefenseTactics

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

You’re the one bringing up a Capitals opinion in a thread I started about how Malkin should be suspended.

I know it must be alien for you to want a player on your own team suspended for a dirty play given the straight forward nature of players like Oshie, Orpik and Wilson.

Malkin in the playoffs is the best player of this generation after Sid. Maybe an argument for Kane over him.

powerbomb

Apr 6, 2013
Are people really making that argument?

Most people who say that are saying it in the context they think the NHL DoPS will screw this up, not that it doesn't deserve a suspension.

EDIT: I mean, you'll always have one or two idiots making stupid takes, but no need to destroy that.
It's equal parts a response to the analysts after the game as to the posters on here. The idea that you've got to scramble someone's brain before you can get punished is stupid. A fine doesn't do anything to players making that kind of money. Unfortunately this figures to be a high-profile showcase of what makes hockey bush league, as I expect the Department of Player Safety to choose the slap on the wrist. But this was an indefensibly dangerous display by Malkin.

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Errant high stick or a one handed light sabre swing?

I’m not going to touch on either one because let’s face it and say that neither blow attempted were true hits to the face with Malkins stick or a good punch because Raffl still had a glove on.

But a stick to the face, I’d assume he’s losing teeth and would require oral surgery. Next would be facial bones impacted, jaw most likely. The worst would be if he took it to the eye socket. A fractured orbital bone and impact to the eye directly would be the worst possible outcome.

But a punch to the back of the head, especially a well placed one, can have a serious impact on your cervical vertebrae, which could affect the spinal cord. That is possibly the worst area to have a trauma situation in your body. Can result in a wide array of ugly injuries. One being paralysis. One well placed punch to the back of the head and the person goes unconscious and falls face first, now your are talking about all those injuries I stated for the stick to the face, on top of probable brain trauma and death in the most severe.

Obviously neither play should be accepted in the NHL but if I had a choice, I’d take an errant stick to the face any day of the week.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Not that Malkin's response was ideal, but, to be fair, I think anyone would be a little pissed if you punched them in the back of the head

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Dude, it was going to be a slash to the shoulder until Raffl skated away. #TomWilsonDefenseTactics

Show me one Tom Wilson stick infraction in this ballpark.

And then stop doing that and log off, because you just typed "slash to the shoulder" like it was no big deal. You want to slash a guy's ankles? Okay, that makes you an angry hockey player, we've all seen it, maybe you get a fine if you did it particularly hard but it's possible Raffl's punch washes that out or nabs them both. You take a hand off your stick to go up high like that, that's absolutely "you need additional discipline" territory.

Reactions: Portable Mink

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Show me one Tom Wilson stick infraction in this ballpark.

And then stop doing that and log off, because you just typed "slash to the shoulder" like it was no big deal. You want to slash a guy's ankles? Okay, that makes you an angry hockey player, we've all seen it, maybe you get a fine if you did it particularly hard but it's possible Raffl's punch washes that out or nabs them both. You take a hand off your stick to go up high like that, that's absolutely "you need additional discipline" territory.

Ah. Perfect example of what I’m bringing up.

How about Tom Wilson leaping into a player and breaking a jaw. We saw it less than a year ago.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
You’re the one bringing up a Capitals opinion in a thread I started about how Malkin should be suspended.

I know it must be alien for you to want a player on your own team suspended for a dirty play given the straight forward nature of players like Oshie, Orpik and Wilson.

Malkin in the playoffs is the best player of this generation after Sid. Maybe an argument for Kane over him.

It's only fair, since I would probably care even less if Malkin punched Giroux in the back of the head. If anything I'm doing you a favor by trying to inject my own emotional vulnerabilities into the scenario. I'm literally putting myself in your shoes, and in your shoes I'm still laughing at whatever schmuck finally decided to start caring about the game with 5 minutes left in it and started throwing his body around. I'm not mad, and I'm definitely not mad enough to even attempt to explain away chopping at another player's head.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad