Malkin High Sticking Match Penalty (Suspended for One Game)

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
It's only fair, since I would probably care even less if Malkin punched Giroux in the back of the head. If anything I'm doing you a favor by trying to inject my own emotional vulnerabilities into the scenario. I'm literally putting myself in your shoes, and in your shoes I'm still laughing at whatever schmuck finally decided to start caring about the game with 5 minutes left in it and started throwing his body around. I'm not mad, and I'm definitely not mad enough to even attempt to explain away chopping at another player's head.

Don’t know what any of this means but I expect it is a woe is me script as is typical from a Caps fan.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I mean if you want a real response, Price goes just about full punch to his head with a blocker, Raffl taps the back of his head with a glove on. Try again.

Next
not sure you understand that the base of the skull/neck is a vulnerable area of the body.

it's amusing how this works, sweep the discretion that started the event under the rug to make the other party's action seem worse.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
not sure you understand that the base of the skull/neck is a vulnerable area of the body.
Dude, watch the punch, he's not doing any skull/neck damage with that love tap. Go watch soccer, unless that's too scary as someone could die from heading the ball

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Ah. Perfect example of what I’m bringing up.

How about Tom Wilson leaping into a player and breaking a jaw. We saw it less than a year ago.
Okay, so it's the moral high ground option. Figures. Divert and prod until the question becomes one of relative sins, and who can say what, instead of admitting that it's a supremely **** thing to do to swing your stick at the face of another player.

That hit had plenty of people on both sides of the fence there, across multiple fanbases. You won't find that division here, in part because one of those things was at least done in the execution of a hockey play, and not just a retaliatory temper tantrum while play continued elsewhere.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
I’m not going to touch on either one because let’s face it and say that neither blow attempted were true hits to the face with Malkins stick or a good punch because Raffl still had a glove on.

But a stick to the face, I’d assume he’s losing teeth and would require oral surgery. Next would be facial bones impacted, jaw most likely. The worst would be if he took it to the eye socket. A fractured orbital bone and impact to the eye directly would be the worst possible outcome.

But a punch to the back of the head, especially a well placed one, can have a serious impact on your cervical vertebrae, which could affect the spinal cord. That is possibly the worst area to have a trauma situation in your body. Can result in a wide array of ugly injuries. One being paralysis. One well placed punch to the back of the head and the person goes unconscious and falls face first, now your are talking about all those injuries I stated for the stick to the face, on top of probable brain trauma and death in the most severe.

Obviously neither play should be accepted in the NHL but if I had a choice, I’d take an errant stick to the face any day of the week.

If this punch to the back of Malkins head merits this much attention, every scrum after the play should be looked at.

Raffl should’ve been penalized, possibly thrown out along with Malkin for the sake of the game, but those are typically seen during scrums.

Reactions: Cody Webster

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Don’t know what any of this means but I expect it is a woe is me script as is typical from a Caps fan.
You might just want to back out of this thread and cool off if this is escaping you, or take a minute to track back and piece it together. It's not very complicated, really. You asked a Flyers fan to put himself in your shoes, or maybe Malkin's, and tell us how he'd feel if Malkin teed off on Giroux's head. Well, I'm not a Flyers fan so I certainly wouldn't care, but as a Capitals fan I can say that I've seen that exact thing a number of times and it doesn't bother me in the slightest. Having someone play right into your hands rarely does.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Amazing response. Gets told, acts like a 3 year old.

****ing penguin fans...

Gets told what exactly?

I started this thread and said Malkin should be suspended and dude just wants to bring up the Caps and sound holier than thou?

Voracek threw Riikola into the board’s face first. Raffl instigated the stick swing. No team is pure. No reason to ignore that, dude is trying to defend Tom Wilson. Sorry, we all have players that ride the edge. Part of Malkin’s dominance has been having that edge to his game.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Video (courtesy of /u/specmence of /r/hockey):

Kinda fitting that Malkin's first suspension will be a dumb and unnecessary stick infraction.

He's been getting away with the star treatment for 10 years. Speared Brown in the nuts last season, fined and promise not to do it again, when it was clear intent. I don't expect anything but a fine because the league turns their back on his dirty play.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
He spelled it out for you. I don't get what is giving you so much trouble

What did he spell out? I see him defending Wilson than acting like he is just commenting as a Caps fan acting like a Flyers fan because he’s seen so many dirty plays from Malkin.

This is the first play by Geno that isn’t exactly what he said about Wilson. It’s not in the flow of the game. If Malkin gets suspended 5 games he deserves it. Just like a handful of his previous plays.

Chuck Norris Trophy

Jan 22, 2015
Pens fan and Malkin should absolutely sit at least 3 games for this. That is an unacceptable thing to do, I know it's a heat of the moment type of thing, but still, you do not swing your stick at another player's head like that, it's dangerous as f***. Some of you fellow Penguins fans are embarrassing yourself and other Penguins fans with your posts in this thread.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Both should get the same punishment. Malkin for the swing and Raffl for the punch / acting job.
Love it. The "punch" and the acting job for having a carbon fiber weapon swung at your head warrant a hefty suspension.

It's not like he rolled on the ground for 5 minutes acting like he had been shot. He was on the ground for a couple seconds, probably saying a prayer he didn't lose an eye or teeth.

It's funny seeing Penguin fans whine about embellishing too. Holy pot meet kettle

Reactions: stampedingviking

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018

If this punch to the back of Malkins head merits this much attention, every scrum after the play should be looked at.

Raffl should’ve been penalized, possibly thrown out along with Malkin for the sake of the game, but those are typically seen during scrums.

But it’s not a scrum. It’s a defenseless player, with the puck not even around them and his back turned not expecting to get punched in the back of the head.

Like I stated earlier, he punched him with a glove on and not that hard. But just like Malkins stick swing, it’s a bullshit move and the intent is still there.

And like the post stated that you replied to, a punch to the back of the head can be just as dangerous, if not moreso than a stick to the face.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Why are people predicting multiple game suspension?

The NHL disciplines based on the outcome, not necessarily the incident.

It's sad and pathetic, but that's the way the league has meted out disciplinary action for as long as I can remember.
It's not always about what the offending player did, but more about the injury caused to the "victim".

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Pens fan and Malkin should absolutely sit at least 3 games for this. That is an unacceptable thing to do, I know it's a heat of the moment type of thing, but still, you do not swing your stick at another player's head like that, it's dangerous as ****. Some of you fellow Penguins fans are embarrassing yourself and other Penguins fans with your posts in this thread.

Thanks for restoring some faith about your fanbase

Reactions: Portable Mink

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Love it. The "punch" and the acting job for having a carbon fiber weapon swung at your head warrant a hefty suspension.

It's not like he rolled on the ground for 5 minutes acting like he had been shot. He was on the ground for a couple seconds, probably saying a prayer he didn't lose an eye or teeth.

It's funny seeing Penguin fans whine about embellishing too. Holy pot meet kettle

Carbon fiber weapon is my new username.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->