Malkin High Sticking Match Penalty (Suspended for One Game)

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Malkin has no chill. That's the downside of his game. Too bad he may get himself suspended when we desperately needed and finally got him back from being hurt.

Exactly - I don't think anybody could argue that Malkin isn't (still) one of the best players in the league. He's worth far more to the team when he's playing than when he's sitting out because he lost his temper.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
NBCSN guys say that it should just be a fine. Both said it looked like he tried to slash him and lost control of stick.

Take that for what it’s worth.

Who cares what the tv personalities think. We all have our own set of eyes, no matter if they are right or wrong.

Reactions: Portable Mink

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Who cares what the tv personalities think. We all have our own set of eyes, no matter if they are right or wrong.
Shouldn't matter there anyway, I'd hope. Control of your stick at all times means at all times. If you are trying to slash someone and do it wrong, that's still on you. If you meant to do it, the lesson you'd hopefully take away is "don't swing your stick at people's heads". If you didn't mean to do it, well, maybe the lesson is just "be better at slashing", but at least the risk of someone getting smacked in the head is lower than it was before.

Reactions: BernieParent

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Jalen Ramsey said he could make the NHL in 6 months. Malkin might've made the MLB in a day, just a beauty follow through.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Embellishment?!?

What else do you think people should do when someone takes a stick swing at your head? Stand there stoically unless it hits you? You get the f*** out of the way.

Reactions: PeterSidorkiewicz

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
People are reallt justifying this slash because Raffl gave Malkin a little shot?

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey
The nhl fan base would be calling for 40 games if that was Tom Wilson.

Yet this is worse then anything Tom Wilson has done.

25 games should be the right call. Intent to injury with a weapon. Hell in the real world thats a criminal charge.

Check out @Sportsnet’s Tweet:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The mental gymnastics you have to do to say this deserves 25 games is hilarious. You are aware we have precedent for guys getting suspended for swinging their sticks at the faces of other players, right? It's going to be 1 or 2 games because it's Malkin's first suspension, just like when Keith got 1 playoff game for slashing Carter in the face. If you want a more recent example, here's Johnansen getting suspended for 2 games for slashing Scheifele in the face:

This is probably worse than Malkin's slash, as a matter of fact.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
He has a phone interview with the league. Typically a major suspension is meet with an in person interview.

I would expect a fine to a two game suspension. Somewhere in there.

His worst infraction probably came from the a** reaming he got from Sullivan for that type of move, in that situation and that late in an important game.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011

Pens fan. No hit, but intention on the play should see Geno sit for at least 2 or 3.

Well Raffl shoved him in the numbers and punched with the glove in the back of the head to deserve the retaliation. If anything I'd like to see both guys get some severe discipline. This isn't physicality, it's just dirt.

Reactions: Fatty McLardy

nothingbeatshockey

May 3, 2013
Dumb move by Raffl punching him in the back of the head, dumber move by Malkin swinging his stick wildly in frustration. That said, it barely grazed Raffl and he should have gotten embellishment. 5 and a game for Malkin is suitable. If he had actually hit his head then it'd be suspension and fine worthy.

I've never understood this mentality - not just form the poster, but from the NHL. Pretty much do whatever you want and only if you actually hurt someone do we care. The fact that Malin pretty much missed him is irrelevant. The play was dangerous. What he did should be punished, not the result.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Check out @Sportsnet’s Tweet:

Yeah, would still take that over a stick swing.

Swinging your stick is just... you don't do that.

Takes significantly more "intent to injure", too. There are plenty of hits with debatable intent, but it's just that. Debatable. There's really no debate regarding your end goal when you swing your stick at somebody's face that fast.

Reactions: fivesberg

Saekk

Jul 25, 2017
Malkin has always been a dirty player, so this does not surprise me at all.

Probably getting maximun 2 games out of this though, league doesn't have the balls to suspend him for more.

BigEezyE22

Feb 2, 2007
Jersey
Yeah, would still take that over a stick swing.

Swinging your stick is just... you don't do that.

Takes significantly more "intent to injure", too. There are plenty of hits with debatable intent, but it's just that. Debatable. There's really no debate regarding your end goal when you swing your stick at somebody's face that fast.

It's "debatable" that Wilson went out of his way to try and take out the knee of the smallest player on the ice that night?

I'll let you in on a little secret. That "debate" ends pretty f***ing quickly.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Malkin is a dirty pos, but that said IDGAF about Raffl, it's not like Malkin just went and did that to Giroux for no reason.

Personally I'm a big believer in escalating until the other person can't handle it if you can, so Malkin did fine in my books, sorry if you want to be a plug and punch one of the best players in the game in the back of the head, you probably deserve a stick to the face considering there are no enforcers anymore and even if they were the game is such a joke that they have to worry about the instigator penalty.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
The mental gymnastics you have to do to say this deserves 25 games is hilarious. You are aware we have precedent for guys getting suspended for swinging their sticks at the faces of other players, right? It's going to be 1 or 2 games because it's Malkin's first suspension, just like when Keith got 1 playoff game for slashing Carter in the face. If you want a more recent example, here's Johnansen getting suspended for 2 games for slashing Scheifele in the face:

This is probably worse than Malkin's slash, as a matter of fact.

You're off your nut. The contact is worse, sure, but at least Johansen is seizing a moment during play to do something ****ty that he thinks he can get away with, under the guise of said play. Malkin didn't even look like he cared. He saw red, he wanted blood, and he swung.

It may be splitting hairs to some, but Johansen realized he could hit a guy with his stick because the moment aligned just right, and did. That's bad. Malkin decided he was going to hit Raffl with his stick, even if it meant lashing out with it to do so. That's worse as far as I'm concerned. No pretense, play no longer in the area, no reasonable excuse, just decided to do it and went for it.

BigEezyE22

Feb 2, 2007
Jersey
You're off your nut. The contact is worse, sure, but at least Johansen is seizing a moment during play to do something ****ty that he thinks he can get away with, under the guise of said play. Malkin didn't even look like he cared. He saw red, he wanted blood, and he swung.

It may be splitting hairs to some, but Johansen realized he could hit a guy with his stick because the moment aligned just right, and did. That's bad. Malkin decided he was going to hit Raffl with his stick, even if it meant lashing out with it to do so. That's worse as far as I'm concerned. No pretense, play no longer in the area, no reasonable excuse, just decided to do it and went for it.

It's a shame you can't embed circus music into this post.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad