Malkin High Sticking Match Penalty (Suspended for One Game)

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
No, if you'd recognized the "good point" your post would have said "Oh, I see, you used Capitals players instead of Flyers players because you're not a Flyers fan, and it makes more sense to think about it that way".

Or maybe you'd have said "that's true, I guess you were just talking about Malkin and didn't actually rub anything in anybody's face until I tried to rub the playoffs in yours".

Personally I think you'd go for "got me, I think I've been subconsciously trying to tank this thread for the last few pages", seeing as you're really self-aware and pretty good at accurately analyzing the past.

Judging by the novellas you’re writing.. I severely doubt you’d have a rational reaction to Ovie or Oshie taking shots to the head than reacting as they do.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Just throw it on his tab. This guy has always been a hotheaded spastic dirty and dangerous player. There's a youtube playlist called malkin scumbag that last added a video in 2013, you could throw another 20 in there since probably.

Reactions: fivesberg

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Hitting in back of head - roughing. It’s a 2 minute penalty. Happens hundreds of times each season. People go to the box and things move on fine.

Swinging your stick at the head. That shouldn’t ever happen and only happens when a player is being dangerous. Major + major suspension. Dangerous. Can end careers.

You can’t allow a player to swing their stick at another player high and NOT treat it as a big deal... if Malkin doesn’t get suspended at least 10 games for this - then the precedent is set that people can swing their sticks up high towards faces/eyes and it’s not a big deal? No chance.

Nope. Dangerous play should result with major discipline. 10 games at least it should be.

Portable Mink

Sep 12, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
Not even the same type of punch, that hits high on the head, Raffl goes to the base of the skull. One of those can cause spinal injuries.

:laugh:
Wow.

Pens fan and Malkin should absolutely sit at least 3 games for this. That is an unacceptable thing to do, I know it's a heat of the moment type of thing, but still, you do not swing your stick at another player's head like that, it's dangerous as ****. Some of you fellow Penguins fans are embarrassing yourself and other Penguins fans with your posts in this thread.

Great post.

Reactions: Cody Webster

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
When I think of stick swings from the past, this is by no means comparable to the worst. However, it's clearly reckless and intentional. Even if he didn't fully make contact, the intent was there. Yes, Raffl was working him over pretty good and he should have gotten a minor for roughing in there; it still doesn't justify or excuse what Malkin did.

- What should it be: 3-5 games. [2-3 games for what I think it should be relative to stuff in the past + 2 games because I think this is one of those areas where the league goes far too soft on dangerous actions.]
- What will it likely be: 1-2 games.

Raffl should absolutely be dialed up for embellishment. We have no idea where he is on the scale right now, but he should move up a step.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Judging by the novellas you’re writing.. I severely doubt you’d have a rational reaction to Ovie or Oshie taking shots to the head than reacting as they do.
Yeah, nothing screams "reactionary" like organized, well-reasoned posts with an easily identifiable through line, and a few jokes thrown in for good measure. Much better to try to drown out a conversation by making children's noises or disregard someone's opinion because of the color of t-shirt they're wearing, you know, adult things.

To illustrate the point just a little further: you can probably even find my posts from the last time or two that Oshie was concussed on a play.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Dumb move by Raffl punching him in the back of the head, dumber move by Malkin swinging his stick wildly in frustration. That said, it barely grazed Raffl and he should have gotten embellishment. 5 and a game for Malkin is suitable. If he had actually hit his head then it'd be suspension and fine worthy.
So if someone pulled a gun, shot at someone and missed they shouldn’t be punished?

(Obviously that’s a tad extreme, but you get my point)

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Apologies in trying to keep the discussion limited to the actualities of tonight's events rather than unrelated incidents.

Have you boxed? A punch to the top of the head could cause you to momentarily lose equilibrium but a shot to the base of the skull is where you see spinal injuries, among a myriad of other issues. It's a gutless move to punch someone from behind like that in either situation, but the shot to the base of the skull is much more dangerous.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Show me a punch to the back of the head, unprovoked, to a star player that has gone without a fine..
Not a star player or anything but I remember Crosby punching a dude in the back of the head as he was tied up with another penguin, and then actually punches him in the balls after.

Kresnik

Mar 14, 2011
Sweden
Well, hopefully Raffi learned something today. Don't punch a person in the back of his head, if you swing first you asked for it, simple. To swing a stick can be very dangerous, but i can't blame him.

ArchAngel55

Nov 16, 2008
Philadelphia, Pa
ff46d6b1ddbe6be0640c7576ff5bcacc

Saw this pic. He never hit him with the stick.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Then drop the gloves.
That's exactly what Rafl wants.

No one pays $100 per ticket to watch Rafl hack the puck into pieces.

I'm not sure why the NHL lets players get away with treating the stars how they do.

Rafl committed four infractions leading up to the Malkin stick swing and didn't get called for a single one.

Rafl shouldn't get impunity to break all the rules to try and get the puck from Malkin just because he's an inferior player.

ref19

Oct 3, 2017

I'm not sure why the NHL lets players get away with treating the stars how they do.

Rafl committed four infractions leading up to the Malkin stick swing and didn't get called for a single one.

Rafl shouldn't get impunity to break all the rules to try and get the puck from Malkin just because he's an inferior player.
haha sure man.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009

Stick already behind Raffl, who looks like he's wincing and hunching his shoulders in the universal "oh no, my face" reaction of most humans dealing with oncoming hockey sticks. Not a conclusive picture in the least.

Nobody pays for tickets to watch the refs fill the penalty boxes, either. The boards, like the front of the net, are a battle area where the grey area expands, and it's one of the reasons we still get to call our sport "tough". I just saw Andre Burakovsky get similarly bullied and punched around like last week, and I'm pretty sure it had nothing to do with how good he is (or isn't) and everything to do with trying to make a board battle look like a puck handling drill.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Will probably be a game but Raffl should betting fined too, can't punch an unexpected player like that

philip

dismember
Jun 27, 2014

That's OK then. Ring the DOPS and let them know we can wrap this one up. He recklessly swung his stick at head height, but because this time it miraculously didn't hit anyone, we can all go home early.

Reactions: IlikeEich

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Malkin is very lucky for that swing not to connect. It has high potential of injury, and a long suspension. Thats incredibly reckless and dumb thing to do. Come on.

I still dont think Malkin had any intent to connect Raffls head there, but its just way too reckless. One game or a fine and a hard chat with DoPS could work to prevent it happening again, but Malkin already has a history with hot-headed reckless actions too. NHL propably shouldnt let him off the hook with just a fine this time, they need to open a book for repeater status in case Geno keeps doing reckless stuff like this.

Hopefully atleast it scared himself too and makes him think twice about what happened there.

And I like Malkin as much as a Caps fan can. Or.. Atleast I dont hate him as much as a Caps fan can. :)

Edit.

Last edited:
Reactions: fivesberg

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Malkin is dumb as hell sometimes how he can't keep his cool. He's so easy to get off his game.

Having said all that, its too bad Pens don't have anyone that would've caved Raffl's face in. You can't let a garbage 3rd liner punch your top player in the back of the head like that. Pens are so ****ing soft..

Isn't Malkin big enough to look after himself? I mean honestly, it's not like he's the size of Elias Petterson or something....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad