Malkin High Sticking Match Penalty (Suspended for One Game)

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
They got it. Major. Raffl sold it as if he got hit, but intention was insanely dirty.
Is the punch to the back of the head before his stick swing also dirty or are we just trying to make people like us by admitting this is dirty (it is) and the other incident isn't (why isn't that mentioned?).

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
So if someone pulled a gun, shot at someone and missed they shouldn’t be punished?

(Obviously that’s a tad extreme, but you get my point)
Raffl should definitely get more than whatever they give Geno. Or do you think punches to the back of the head are A-Ok?

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
That's OK then. Ring the DOPS and let them know we can wrap this one up. He recklessly swung his stick at head height, but because this time it miraculously didn't hit anyone, we can all go home early.

Reminds me of the time I tried robbing a bank and my gun jammed lol.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
If i was a Pens fan I'd be more concerned that my team allowed 51 shots on goal. That's Vancouver / Anaheim level defence at work :laugh:

We aren't worried.

Pens don't allow that many shots against a game.

Also, Murray stopped 5o out of 51 shots, I'd be more worried that out of 51 shots, only 1 made it in if I was the other team.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Is the punch to the back of the head before his stick swing also dirty or are we just trying to make people like us by admitting this is dirty (it is) and the other incident isn't (why isn't that mentioned?).
I think most of us agree the punch to the head is dirty but it also something that happens at some point in most hockey games, called or not called. Swinging your stick intentionally at someones head is something EVERYONE is taught not to do when they first start playing. It really is just a coward thing to do. Goes for any team, not just the pens or malkin.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I think most of us agree the punch to the head is dirty but it also something that happens at some point in most hockey games, called or not called. Swinging your stick intentionally at someones head is something EVERYONE is taught not to do when they first start playing. It really is just a coward thing to do. Goes for any team, not just the pens or malkin.
See you're missing the point.

You think the stick swing happens with or without the punch to the back of the head, whereas it's more than likely related knowing how Geno works. It's never ok to punch any player in the head unprovoked and unprepared. Unless you're living under a rock the last few years, or well shit, a decade + now, you just don't do that and then expect nothing in return, especially an emotional rage type response like swinging a stick or even jumping on the player, etc.

Raffl punched Malkin after cross checking him and trying to rough him up to throw him off, Geno only swings after the punch in the head.

If you are DoPs and you ask him why he did that, you bet your ass he's going to say, ok well...should I just stand there and allow someone to punch me in the head and pretend that doesn't make me react in the most angry way possible?

Not sure if you noticed, but head injuries are a thing and unless you're in the NHL's team of lawyers that thinks concussions aren't serious, a punch to the head like that, especially the back of the head, is never "a part of the game" and especially more so now.

philip

dismember
Jun 27, 2014

You think the stick swing happens with or without the punch to the back of the head, whereas it's more than likely related knowing how Geno works. It's never ok to punch any player in the head unprovoked and unprepared. Unless you're living under a rock the last few years, or well ****, a decade + now, you just don't do that and then expect nothing in return, especially an emotional rage type response like swinging a stick or even jumping on the player, etc.

Raffl punched Malkin after cross checking him and trying to rough him up to throw him off, Geno only swings after the punch in the head.

If you are DoPs and you ask him why he did that, you bet your ass he's going to say, ok well...should I just stand there and allow someone to punch me in the head and pretend that doesn't make me react in the most angry way possible?

Not sure if you noticed, but head injuries are a thing and unless you're in the NHL's team of lawyers that thinks concussions aren't serious, a punch to the head like that, especially the back of the head, is never "a part of the game" and especially more so now.

Why don't you put the spade away.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008

You think the stick swing happens with or without the punch to the back of the head, whereas it's more than likely related knowing how Geno works. It's never ok to punch any player in the head unprovoked and unprepared. Unless you're living under a rock the last few years, or well ****, a decade + now, you just don't do that and then expect nothing in return, especially an emotional rage type response like swinging a stick or even jumping on the player, etc.

I totally agree that a reaction will take place after being punched in the head. Raffl should have gotten a minor atleast but 99% of hockey players would have responded anywhere from a slash down low to challenging the guy to a fight. Your defending the indefensible right now with the intentional full swing of the stick at his head because its your guy and your team. Stop and think about if it was Crosby who had a stick at his head. You would be saying what Im saying

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
We aren't worried.

Pens don't allow that many shots against a game.

Also, Murray stopped 5o out of 51 shots, I'd be more worried that out of 51 shots, only 1 made it in if I was the other team.

Yep well that is true - Murray's your guy if you only allow a lot of shots a couple of times a season. Just as well that Pens D is solid the rest of the time

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yep well that is true - Murray's your guy if you only allow a lot of shots a couple of times a season. Just as well that Pens D is solid the rest of the time
You mean kind of like how our defense was crap without Letang during that one deep playoff run with Hainsey playing a lot of minutes?

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Raffl should definitely get more than whatever they give Geno. Or do you think punches to the back of the head are A-Ok?

LOL yes Raffl should get more because HIS punch to the head connected and Malkin's attempt to blind / maim / concuss / knock out a bunch of teeth, (take your pick) failed because Raffl happened to just skate out of range in time.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I totally agree that a reaction will take place after being punched in the head. Raffl should have gotten a minor atleast but 99% of hockey players would have responded anywhere from a slash down low to challenging the guy to a fight. Your defending the indefensible right now with the intentional full swing of the stick at his head because its your guy and your team. Stop and think about if it was Crosby who had a stick at his head. You would be saying what Im saying

First off Crosby wouldn't be going at a player the way Raffl did and if Sid punched a guy in the back of the head, he'd deserve whatever happened next and I have no issues saying that. Geno swung his stick haphazardly, people acting here like it was a McSorely swing to Brashear's head is the most comical part. Yeah it was careless and stupid, no one is going to refute that. It was also not nearly as hard or malicious as people make it out to be, but that punch to the back of the head wasn't some love tap either and was more calculated than his swing was and that was after Raffl already went at Geno.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
LOL yes Raffl should get more because HIS punch to the head connected and Malkin's attempt to blind / maim / concuss / knock out a bunch of teeth, (take your pick) failed because Raffl happened to just skate out of range in time.

LOL yes Raffl should get more because HIS punch to the head was an attempt to concuss / maim/ knock out a player from the back of the head (take your pick). Malkin just happened to be a freak that didn't get concussed from the punch in the back of the head, in time.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009

So you're going with "he started it"? I think you're missing the point.

He could have turned around, thrown his gloves, and punched Raffl right in the face he would have been less "wrong" in the context of being a hockey player. Swinging your stick like a weapon at another player's head is significantly less acceptable and commonplace than punching one another. Players give each other shots to the head along the boards a lot, more often than I'm comfortable with, even. Plain as day punches, hand off the stick and everything, doesn't matter. You as a professional need to remain more in control than to turn around and swing at their head with a weapon. You just do.

and now we can get into how rich it is that you'd even try to say something like that when you'll take the stances you do on Tom Wilson. At least when Wilson "tries" to hit people in the head he does it with his body, while they have possession. Somehow that's not okay (even though unless you've been living under a rock the last few years you should know not to skate with your head down in the neutral zone). I mean, should Wilson just allow someone to skate right past him without trying to hit him as hard as possible?! You'll call one of these people a relentless psychopath with malicious intent and come up with any number of excuses for the other, but this right here by Malkin is a more egregious "intent-to-injure" action than anything I can drum up in Wilson's career. Swinging your stick at someone's face....

be a bigger hypocrite, why don't you?

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
You mean kind of like how our defense was crap without Letang during that one deep playoff run with Hainsey playing a lot of minutes?

I don't think there is a single person who has a reasonable knowledge of hockey who would suggest Letang is your go to guy when you want defence. I'm not going to criticise his offensive ability because his record speaks for itself.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I don't think there is a single person who has a reasonable knowledge of hockey who would suggest Letang is your go to guy when you want defence. I'm not going to criticise his offensive ability because his record speaks for itself.

So you've now just shown that you know absolutely nothing about Letang.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
First off Crosby wouldn't be going at a player the way Raffl did and if Sid punched a guy in the back of the head, he'd deserve whatever happened next and I have no issues saying that. Geno swung his stick haphazardly, people acting here like it was a McSorely swing to Brashear's head is the most comical part. Yeah it was careless and stupid, no one is going to refute that. It was also not nearly as hard or malicious as people make it out to be, but that punch to the back of the head wasn't some love tap either and was more calculated than his swing was and that was after Raffl already went at Geno.

first part is laughable but ok

2nd part, in your first reply to me you were talking about player safety, concussion and head injuries. So hypothetically Sid punches Raffl in the back of the head and Raffl swings his stick but "connects" ending Sids career from another concussion. This is ok with you, and he deserved it. wow

you missed the point of all of this. Malkin could have done just about anything else and only got matching minors with Raffl. Your trying to downplay that he swung a stick at a guys head intentionally and vilify Raffls punch to a whole new level. It was definitely a penalty and blatant but punches happen in front of the net every game.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
LOL yes Raffl should get more because HIS punch to the head was an attempt to concuss / maim/ knock out a player from the back of the head (take your pick). Malkin just happened to be a freak that didn't get concussed from the punch in the back of the head, in time.

Bahaha - nobody is going to get concussed with a punch like that to the back of the head, particularly when you're wearing a helmet. Stop trying to justify what amounts to a complete lack of composure, control, dummy spit, which is EXACTLY what Malkin is known for. The guy has a history of losing his temper and doing stupid s*it like that. Please oh please prove me wrong. Even your own Pens board is riddled with posts from your own fans saying Malkin is a fool.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Raffl should have at minimum gotten a penalty. If the refs blew play dead quickly perhaps Malkin never does this.

Three clear penalties blatantly ignored is a bad look and will not look good in the suspension video they make for Malkin.

I'd like to see each player get something. Remind the lower tier player of their place when it comes to harassing a superstar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad