Value of: Make your best offer for Auston Matthews

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
MacKinnon scored 24 goals and 63 points as a rookie. I'd say Matthews wasn't quite double the player even after a couple of years of the Avs sucking.

And highlighting Matthews' salary isn't saying he is bad, he is clearly one of the best scorers in the league, however, $11.6m is too much.

Followed by 38, 52 and 53 points the following seasons. Matthews almost had that in goals alone in his year 3/4 lol

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
If I was the Leafs, I wouldn't trade Matthews. I would trade Marner for some depth.

Matthews is going to be the best goal scorer of his generation. Marner is going to continue to be a liability in the playoffs.

There should be proposals around Marner in my opinion. They would be able to fetch a fair amount for a franchise winger to add some serious depth to the team.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
If I was the Leafs, I wouldn't trade Matthews. I would trade Marner for some depth.

Matthews is going to be the best goal scorer of his generation. Marner is going to continue to be a liability in the playoffs.

There should be proposals around Marner in my opinion. They would be able to fetch a fair amount for a franchise winger to add some serious depth to the team.

Not without the Leafs taking significant money back.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
His cap hit alone will be an anchor to any team that wants playoff success

So essentially any player making double digits no GM is going to have any interest in? I highly doubt that and if Matthews was available other teams are interested.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015

You’re correct and most Leaf fans agree with this. But this is HF main boards where common sense goes to die.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Only an idiot would. Sorry Mr. Dubas...... If I need a baseball bat to make my point.
So then your point about the their contracts looking good when the cap is 92 mil doesn’t really make sense to me.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Is there a rumor saying he wants to leave as a UFA ? I am curious as everyone keeps saying he will just leave and not resign in Toronto
Not that I’m aware of. I just meant it’s not likely he’s gonna be traded so the only way he leaves is via free agency.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
So then your point about the their contracts looking good when the cap is 92 mil doesn’t really make sense to me.
Where did I ever say his contract was a good idea? I only said when his contact would start looking reasonable. Don't blame me for the term he was signed for.

Relax, not every post needs to be about how smart you are.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Will Matthew’s re-sign with the Leafs or will he look to play in the US?
US for sure. His contract screams he doesnt care about the Cup. Throw him in a pretty good team to be pretty good. He can go home with huge pay cheques and no press or fans to bother him on his time off. He joins the Preds, Cyotes California or whatever and he will be in heaven.

Jun 27, 2005
I wouldn't trade all of my futures for a franchise center who has never experienced playoff success. I see some Rangers fans on here including Kakko, Lafreniere, Lundkvist, Zibenejad, 1st round picks and it is just overboard to me for someone who has never accomplished anything meaningful.

Whatever the Leafs would want in a trade for Matthew's just wouldn't be worth it for the other team.

This is so dumb. OV didn't win the cup until he was 32. Matthews is 23. Think man.

Belzebob

Apr 10, 2016
i suggest a win/win trade.

winnipeg would be willing to give up a box full of practice pucks and 25 game worn jockstraps for matthews.

it is a win for toronto because they recoup enough cap space to balance the team, and the jockstraps allow the remaining leafs to get a sniff of greatness.

it is a win for winnipeg because they could trade him for something they really need

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad