Post-Game Talk: Make it so

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
5GA in first 13 SOG in a hockey game yesterday. "The goalies be saving the teams ass every time"

lol. You right stuff like this with no apparent recognition that people can drive Semi Trucks through your argument.

Actually what this team thinks on the ice, and headcoach even spelled it out clearly last night is they expect that any mistake they make will end up in the back of the net. That this is creating tremendous pressure for the players.
Honestly...there is so much rigidity in your argument this really becomes a time wasting exercise.
At least I have acknowledged that goaltending is an issue.
You continue to deny reality that the defence is an issue and that Draisaitl stinks defensively more often than not.

Evidence is just passed over. You just ignore it because it doesnt fit your argument.
Rather disingenuous.

I get it...nothing that goes on in front of the goaltending matters....lol

Cheers to you.

Reactions: K1984

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
This is when I turned the channel.

My buddy was up from Calgary last night so we suffered through the entire thing. At least the 3rd period they played some hockey but Carolina went to sleep for the last period so its not indicative of anything at all.

We're back to the Eakins Swarm days of circling a guy alone in the slot and saying "this guy scored"

Also, I tuned in late last night. What happened to Nurse in warmup? (I saw Skinner's ballerina fall into the 'Canes side of centre ice)

He was doing warmup without his lid and got beaned by a puck shot by Broberg which deflected off the crossbar right into his face.

Reactions: TB12

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Honestly...there is so much rigidity in your argument this really becomes a time wasting exercise.
At least I have acknowledged that goaltending is an issue.
You continue to deny reality that the defence is an issue and that Draisaitl stinks defensively more often than not.

Evidence is just passed over. You just ignore it because it doesnt fit your argument.
Rather disingenuous.

I get it...nothing that goes on in front of the goaltending matters....lol

Cheers to you.
All of what you stated applies equally to you.

The attempts at equivocating are disingenuous. Draisaitl is one of the best Centers in the world that EVERY team would want. He's a a generational superstar. I'll defend that player within reason.

Skinner on the other hand is one of the worst goalies I've seen, along with Campbell, and I've NEVER seen an Oilers club that has got worse goaltending. Conkannen comes close but even they were much better.

The team could waive Skinner tomorrow and nobody would pick him up. Maybe if he was at 1M. You've spent around 50 posts since last night defending a goalie with a 16.2 GAA in yesterdays game. That has the worst, by miles stats of any starting goalie in the league.

In anycase the discussion on what ails the Oilers has less to do with Drai than it does to the franchise worst goaltending in the league. You seem to have difficulty separating those parts.

I don't deny the defense is an issue nor have I. This is a Holland stitched D corps that is overpaid.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
All of what you stated applies equally to you.

The attempts at equivocating are disingenuous. Draisaitl is one of the best Centers in the world that EVERY team would want. He's a a generational superstar. I'll defend that player within reason.

Skinner on the other hand is one of the worst goalies I've seen, along with Campbell, and I've NEVER seen an Oilers club that has got worse goaltending. Conkannen comes close but even they were much better.

The team could waive Skinner tomorrow and nobody would pick him up. Maybe if he was at 1M. You've spent around 50 posts since last night defending a goalie with a 16.2 GAA in yesterdays game. That has the worst, by miles stats of any starting goalie in the league.

In anycase the discussion on what ails the Oilers has less to do with Drai than it does to the franchise worst goaltending in the league. You seem to have difficulty separating those parts.

I don't deny the defense is an issue nor have I. This is a Holland stitched D corps that is overpaid.
I dont know where to start with this. Like I have already stated...accepting the reality that goaltending is an issue is something I have done. I have actually done this repeatedly so your claim isnt based in reality at all.

My point...this isnt a solitary issue ( just goaltending). Thats pretty obvious. There are things that the team can control...like committing to playing defence.

You have had the same opportunity...to acknowledge the other issues.
Instead you obfuscate/deny/ignore the reality of the other issues.

Especially when it involves your personal sacred cow...Leon Draisaitl.

Not much more to say.

Last edited:

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
is team has no faith and no trust in Skinner or Campbell. No one will say it out loud but they all think it deep down.
If true, and I think it is, how does that affect the room? Especially when you have Skinner coming out after another dud game and saying things like ‘I thought I played pretty well’. Goaltenders are a special part of team camaraderie, or should be. Can’t see that being the case on this club.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Yeah those are called score effects. Typically a team that’s far ahead will coast while a team that’s behind will play catch up because… well, they’re behind. We have seen this with the team countless times. The Canes were never in danger of losing that game.
No. What we see time and time again is the team come out and dominate opponents for the first 5-7 minutes of a period. Then the very first chance the other team gets goes in the net. And the second too. I’ve watched that exact scenario happen at least a dozen times this season.

mooseman7

Jan 10, 2004
Visit site
Okay. You can hate anything you choose to hate.
My point is that in this case that is clearly blinding your take on things.

How were any of the first 3 goals Skinners fault?
What could he have done differently when the defence around him is virtually non existent?
Well.. if he stops
Okay. You can hate anything you choose to hate.
My point is that in this case that is clearly blinding your take on things.

How were any of the first 3 goals Skinners fault?
What could he have done differently when the defence around him is virtually non existent?
Well ,if he stops 2 of the 4 goals he let's in ( .500sp)
We most likely win this game .
Goalie is paid to stop the puck. We shouldn't expect him to be playing behind 5 sheets of plywood spread out across the ice ,and only stop 50% of the shots he faces. He should have had at least 2 or 3 of the goals he let in .. like a safety in football, some one gets behind u , it's your fault, not the other 11 guys .

Reactions: Drivesaitl

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
So
4 blue collar lines ?
Sorry bud , we already tried the Dallas Eakins ,swarm them till they can't breathe , chop wood ,carry water experiment.
So you are saying do the rebuild and sell off the major assets? Or do the opposite?

I say try and hang on to the star players and start planning for the 2024-25 season--no panic attacks..

I think the 4 blue collar lines came from another poster--not yours truly.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
4 blue collar lines ?
Sorry bud , we already tried the Dallas Eakins ,swarm them till they can't breathe , chop wood ,carry water experiment.
Implies 4 lines that work hard at both ends of the ice and don’t float. Nobody suggested the f***ing swarm. Good grief.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Well.. if he stops

Well ,if he stops 2 of the 4 goals he let's in ( .500sp)
We most likely win this game .
Goalie is paid to stop the puck. We shouldn't expect him to be playing behind 5 sheets of plywood spread out across the ice ,and only stop 50% of the shots he faces. He should have had at least 2 or 3 of the goals he let in .. like a safety in football, some one gets behind u , it's your fault, not the other 11 guys .
Yes...the goalie is paid to stop the puck....and yes there needs to be a goalie upgrade.
So I am sure that we agree on that.

That being said...using those first 3 goals as an argument for bad goaltending and not horrid defence is just denying reality. Its just not a realistic argument because the quality of the scoring chances were off the charts.

As I said...if this team (and the fans) expect that they can continue to play absolutely horrid defence with the expectation that the goalie will clean everything up...then it isnt winning jack squat.

No team in history has made that formula work.

Reactions: Szechwan

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
Skinner’s median game by game save percentage is now .852.

This Oiler team is 3 points behind Eakins 2014-15 team after 18 games.

The team save percentage is currently tracking to be the worst since 1995-96 when there were 26 teams. Worse than 6 different expansion teams including 4 in the era that expansion teams got nothing out of expansion drafts. So while I understand the notion that team defense sucks, is it truly worse than those 4 expansion teams and countless other lottery teams over the last 27 years?

This team is this bad and the goaltending may be even worse
Team just has to stop giving up high dangers because EVERY single high danger they give up is an auto goal. Can't blame the goalies.

Reactions: Szechwan

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
I guess you missed Skinner's getting flogged here and this team's goaltending is an abyss. Their goaltending is a disaster. Full stop. But I didn't even comment on this game's fifth goal where Pickard is burned while four Oilers flood net front to protect the house but all fail to take the shooter in the blue paint. Happens to include this team's two super elites.

This team gets no saves. It's absolutely soul crushing and killing this team. However this team is an absolute trainwreck of poor decision making, half assed effort and cheating. Both things can be true.

CharminCloed bumbled the puck lol. Cecic started skating forward thinking that elite Ryan McLeod was going to get that puck up. Don't know why Ceci thought this. Ryan probably felt a Cane breathe on him and shit his pants

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
How big of a moron do you have to be as a role player to not understand that you don't get to play like the offensive superstars though?

Do you supposed Semenko and Steven Smith sat there thinking they didn't have to play defense or play their role and could fancy pants it out there because Gretzky and Kurri took some risks?

If you're anyone on the blue line, if you're a bottom 6 player, even a Nugent Hopkins ... what exactly is your excuse for not playing your role defensively?

You're not freaking McDavid. No Dumbnell, you're not even a star defencemen, ok, so you don't get to do the things a Makar or Hughes do either.

Sit down, shut the f*** up, and do your job and don't give me that crap about "well Connor and Leon are going for it", yeah you're not even an All-Star player, let alone a franchise player, let alone a generational player. They get leeway in their game because they have more skill in their pinky finger than the rest of you bozos have in your entire body.

Shut the f*** up and do your job if you're a role player and let me clue the dummies on this roster in on who is a role player -- are you wearing no. 97 or no. 29? No? Then you are a role player you dumb shit. Play within that.
That's the issue with a lot of the bottom guys or even middling guys. They do not seem like they have a defined role or even know what their role is/was. Always pinching, always taking risks. I mean Woody is a 650 coach for gods sake. Surprised that Mister 650 could not get his players to stop doing this stuff.

It's mindboggling. You guys are at the bottom of the league. You are up 2-0 against Tampa and FLA. Play the safest hockey you can b/c you have swiss cheese skinner back there too. They refuse to do it. Then having a well below average goalie compounds it. These role players should know their roles, shut their mouths, and play solid safe defensive hockey. It also doesn't help that we have soft as diarrhea players like RNH and MCloed who will lose 80% of any board battles to go up the ice or retain O zone time. They would rather chip it down and half chase it waving their sticks at the puck.

We do not have many "All in" players

Reactions: andora

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
Campbell has never had the team's trust.

Skinner lost it after being bad in both the LA but especially the Vegas series when he got dummied by Adin Hill.

And then whatever good will either of them had was toast by game 2 of this season.

You can cry all you want about D this and D that, but when the other team's BACK UP goalie is continually making saves your so-called "starter" doesn't, it registers with the team, don't kid yourself.
Exactly. We don't even have to take 1 side fully. D can be better and goaltending.

BUT, when any goalie on the other side is stoning you and your goalie is stinking up the joint, it screws you up.

I can see these guys going both ways. Cheating to try to get a lead and cushion it (leading to blown leads). Playing too tight and tentative, trying to play better D, and making mistakes.

it's like they aren't going out there and playing organically. Overthinking everything.

Just give the Pickard the crease for now and try and make a move for a goalie and or defence without getting fleeced or mortgaging our future.
100% He should have started in CAR. He deserved another straight start after FLA. I have no idea what coaches are thinking. I would not have started Skinner last night.

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
No. What we see time and time again is the team come out and dominate opponents for the first 5-7 minutes of a period. Then the very first chance the other team gets goes in the net. And the second too. I’ve watched that exact scenario happen at least a dozen times this season.
Started from game #1. Oilers were much better than Vancouver for about 11-12 min and then the floodgates opened lol. We had a bunch of great chances. Game 2 Demsith stones us (god I regret spending $$ on that game). Game 3 against VAN. Oil shit kick them and Van scores two quickies lol

Dallas we shit kick them and Wedgewood stones them. Skinner lets in a weak first goal five hole

WPG game their goalie stones Edmonton

And on and on

Those teams gave us a lot of grade A chances to us

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Who's saying any of these things. My post relates to last night's game and a 4-0 first period. Goaltending is a disaster. Last night defending was an absolute trainwreck. Pick your poison. Both are awful and usually the same game. Last night it was an embarrassing lack of defensive awareness, confusion and low effort that sewered the goal. Add the fifth goal with four Oilers protecting the house and no one takes the open man. Two of those four Oilers were their super elites, McDavid and Draisaitl. Oh and the first goal I pointed out the defensive leader Nurse wondered off on a public skate.

Pay attention to the discussion.
Somebody is salty and needs their bottle

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
This may have been the most corruptly
Officiated game I’ve ever seen. Horrendous officiating to the point where the officials even let ridiculously obvious offsides go in favor of the Canes.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Usually a rookie goalie has a competent Vet to lean on.
Skinner had Jack f*cking Campbell.
The biggest sieve this team has seen maybe ever.
Careful you dont dance too hard on his grave, he isn’t gone yet.

Campbell is probably coming back to this team at some point this season. They are doing whatever they can to help him turn things around. He’s untradeable at this point without pissing away some valuable assets, can’t be bought out until end of the season so if they can get him to his level last playoffs and pre season with some tinkering, he can be serviceable and that is probably a bigger win than him being gone at this point, given what that cost would be.

They now recognize that Dustin Schwartz is a big part of the problem and they have removed him from “helping” Campbell anymore. I suspect his tether is short, as it should be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad