Value of: Make a Trade with Washington

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
:caps

The former Stanley Cup Champions have been a little quiet on their end... Will they make a decent splash come draft day? Or are they going to stick with what they’ve got? Washington fans can enlighten us a little more on what they’re up to and their plans.

Make a trade with your favorite team with this team that MAKES SENSE FOR BOTH SIDES. It can be 1 for 1, taking on a bad contract, flipping 7th rounders, whatever you deem necessary to not only make your team better but the other one too. If it's a rebuilding/retooling side they obviously want something for the future.

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
They also may be open to trading Niskanen or Orlov for picks and top 6 forward prospects. The fanbase is a little split on which one would be better to deal.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
It'll be an interesting offseason for Washington. Holtby and Backstrom are going into the final year of their contracts. They need to make decisions on guys like Connolly, Vrana, and Hagelin. Burakovsky likely won't get a QO but I imagine they want him back on a cheaper deal. Do they bridge Vrana or seek term like they did with Wilson? Someone with salary is likely moving out and the popular name is Niskanen.

In my opinion, if Kempny wasn't hurt against Tampa and if Oshie didn't get hurt then they make it back to the ECF and potentially to the Stanley Cup so while they don't need huge changes I think Brian MacLellan will want to prevent the roster from getting stale.

Last edited:
Reactions: topshelf15

Kolzilla

May 20, 2015
It'll be an interesting offseason for Washington. Holtby and Backstrom are going into the final year of their contracts. They need to make decisions on guys like Connolly, Vrana, and Hagelin. Burakovsky likely won't get a QO but I imagine they want him back on a cheaper deal. Do they bridge Vrana or seek term like they did with Wilson? Someone with salary is likely moving out and the popular name is Niskanen.

In my opinion, if Kempny wasn't hurt against Tampa and if Oshie didn't get hurt then they make it back to the ECF and potentially to the Stanley Cup so while they don't need huge changes I think Brian MacLellan will want to prevent the roster from getting stale.

Think the smart thing for the franchise is to move on from Niskanen if we can get a good return, but I don't think GMBM sees it that way.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA

I think they'll give it one more crack with about the same roster intact. I think Holtby will ride out his contract in Washington and then gets signed elsewhere since the Caps already have a stud goaltending prospect almost ready for the reins. I think they're gonna re-sign Backstrom and Vrana, not so sure on Connolly (depends on the ask). I think Hagelin and Burakovsky are gone. Niskanen probably has another year on the Caps, unless they find a trade with him since RHD tends to be a bit coveted by a few teams.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Cap dumps? Who's someone Washington fans are looking to be rid of? Either as a soft return or as a draft pick for this awful cap hit kind?

Burakovskys RFA rights...anyone else?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The market is thin for Burakovsky's rfa rights. Do you really want to pay him $3.5M? That's the qualifying offer required. The Caps aren't going to pay that. He then becomes a free agent. It might be that he wants to stay in Washington and will sign for less but IMO there are a half dozen teams with real top 6 forward holes willing to pay him more and roll the dice.

Niskanen is probably out for cap management. Traded for futures.

Caps announcer says the Caps are in on something big. That sounds to me like a draft day trade to acquire a replacement for Niskanen.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
As a caps fan, I wouldn't do even Orlov alone for the 16thOA. He had 29 points this year with pretty much no PP time, and he's a good defender.

I agree. They won't get a better player than Orlov at 16.

I don't think they really want to move Niskanen, but they need cap space desperately and he seems like someone you could move without any retention.

I am very excited to see what MacClellen does.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I agree. They won't get a better player than Orlov at 16.

I don't think they really want to move Niskanen, but they need cap space desperately and he seems like someone you could move without any retention.

I am very excited to see what MacClellen does.

Orlov is so miscast on the Capitals that he could return a bigger return than Niskanen from a team with a left shooting power play. Niskanen's minutes are going to be harder to replace than Orlov's. My view is to trade them both. To replace the Niskanen role with a left shot defenseman. After watching what happened to the balance of the defense when Kempny was injured and the defensive limitations of both Orlov and Kempny, a left shot pk1 defenseman is something they need.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Niskanen for Zaitsev + Bracco + 2nd. We run with the potential of Orlov-Zaitsev being a better pairing than the sum of their parts with in our system with Carlson, Kempny and Jensen helping carry the load. If Zaitsev turns it around could be like the Kempny acquisition which seemed like getting a borderline AHLer but who arrived as a top 4 defenseman. Or when Chicago got Oduya and he was suddenly a solid 2nd pairing D for them. Niskanen himself went from being unable to play defense to top shutdown D. There's precedent considering Zaitsev's problems don't seem physical and don't translate to worlds.

Burakovsky for Brodziak + Edmonton's 2nd, we try Brodziak at 4C instead of Dowd. IDK what else Edmonton would part with that we'd want.

Djoos to Winnipeg, he'd be surrounded by big defenseman and could become their Enstrom. IDK for what. Or keep him and hope he rebounds with Jensen after an injury free summer.

Last edited:

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Orlov is so miscast on the Capitals that he could return a bigger return than Niskanen from a team with a left shooting power play. Niskanen's minutes are going to be harder to replace than Orlov's. My view is to trade them both. To replace the Niskanen role with a left shot defenseman. After watching what happened to the balance of the defense when Kempny was injured and the defensive limitations of both Orlov and Kempny, a left shot pk1 defenseman is something they need.

Half the time he's the only capable transition defenseman we have especially at LD. Without him the defense gets softer, less mobile, less capable at carrying the puck up the ice. There's more to the game of hockey than a spot on 1 PP. Especially considering he's one of our bigger weapons for the anemic 2 PP.

I guess they can try trading Orlov for a big return and signing a Gardiner and hoping he can be sheltered into a similar role, but that's a big gamble.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Cap dumps? Who's someone Washington fans are looking to be rid of? Either as a soft return or as a draft pick for this awful cap hit kind?

Burakovskys RFA rights...anyone else?

Literally no one, most of our impact players are underpaid or at worst paid fairly + irreplaceable. Burakovsky would take 0 effort to not retain and at best could start a small bidding war. Connolly could also walk. Only real money paid out would be Vrana's raise and Jensen's extension kicking it.

If we're being really proactive replace Niskanen with a younger cheaper RD, he still has good value around the league as a veteran defensive #3 with two way ability for under 6 million.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Half the time he's the only capable transition defenseman we have especially at LD. Without him the defense gets softer, less mobile, less capable at carrying the puck up the ice. There's more to the game of hockey than a spot on 1 PP. Especially considering he's one of our bigger weapons for the anemic 2 PP.

I guess they can try trading Orlov for a big return and signing a Gardiner and hoping he can be sheltered into a similar role, but that's a big gamble.

I mention the pp because to a left shot oriented power play Orlov could be a solid pp1 player. For the Caps, yes, he is a good transition player. That's what he does. The Caps pp2 doesn't play because the Caps have an all star pp1 and Carlson is going to play most of every power play. Not Orlov. As we have discussed, Orlov is replaced in critical defensive situations and doesn't kill penalties. To replace him the Caps need another Kempny. Those sorts of players can be found.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
They also may be open to trading Niskanen or Orlov for picks and top 6 forward prospects. The fanbase is a little split on which one would be better to deal.
No we're not. The fanbase may be split if now is the moment to move on from Niskanen or not, but there's only a couple fans (albeit loud ones) that feel that they should trade Orlov before Niskanen.

Reactions: Silky mitts and um

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1