Value of: Make a Trade with the Rangers

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Marleau is not going to agree to a trade and NOT get assurances that his NTC will be honored by the acquiring team which means the Rangers are out

At this age and stage of his career hes going to want to be on a potential winner.

We are not thst

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
thanks for the 2 cents

Namest is actually good and shrewd for Bolts.
At 4.0? Hell no. But 2.0 only and expiring, he is an ideal stopgap helping with cap.
Now yes, there is an assumption he will satisfactorily produce there, but again, there is a visible track record he did well with Stamkos + co, chemistry, chemistry, chemistry.

Remember we think Bolts wanted to jettison Namest simply cause they did not want to pay him in either $ or term.
Namest now has to realize he does not call shots and command a deal, and this is a chance for him to establish himself to where he has been the best fit, in TB, for less. Either that or he can ufa his ass elsewhere at a market not paying much, or ship himself off to the KHL if he wants $. Again TB controls the cards here, and their interest is to offset what they are gonna lose in production when they ship off JT Miller to have cap space for Point, etc.
And that is a 2nd now in a good draft for a late 1st next yr.
Arguably they are not getting screwed here, and as to us, we only did JT for Names, I suspect, to make sure the McD deal went thru.

None of that explains why Tampa would give that up for a middle-6 player at half salary. He’s not the missing link.

As for the other swap, Staal has 2 yrs, Marleau has 1.
the $ works enuf for Leafs to do it, so take advantage of it.

This is setting aside Marleau can pivot but is also an righty shot W option, which is more immediately useful to us than LD, where we need to create space for our emerging LD youth.

This one is better than the other, but the Rangers gonna pay 9 million this year for a 40 year old Marleau and half of Staal, just to save money next year when over 20 million combined comes off the books anyway after the 2021 season? Doesn’t make sense.

MtoD

Feb 4, 2018
Marleau is not going to agree to a trade and NOT get assurances that his NTC will be honored by the acquiring team which means the Rangers are out

At this age and stage of his career hes going to want to be on a potential winner.

We are not thst

The acquiring team doesn't have a choice in regards to Marleau's NTC.

Trading a player does not invalidate a NTC that is already in place. It only invalidates NTC that are set to kick in at a future date (after the trade).

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I personally don’t want Trouba. I’m not saying he’s not good, but I don’t want to pay him what he’ll ask for.
to be fair there hasn't been any substantiated numbers on what he wants on a long-term deal. Could be 6.5, 7, 8, 9 nothing concrete has ever come out. most contract projections put him in the 7-7.5m range which i believe he is worth on a long-term deal.

anyway, if there's no interest that's all good as well

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
Christ done!!! U can have him for steamed piss and pucks

Shocking, the Rangers fan base hating all their defenseman. Been doing it for the last 12 years even when the forwards never scored goals in the playoffs for Hank. Never blame the forward. Fan base always hate on their defenseman. Staal has been solid the past 2 years despite having a below average team around him. You might have to retain some of his salary but he would be a nice addition to a contending team. He knows how to play in the playoffs. Last year the fan base hated on Pionk. A rookie that was playing 25 minutes at one point. That about sums up my fellow Rangers fans.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
What would you guys do for a Trouba+Roslovic package?

Tough to say. I'm sure the Rangers will do their diligence on Trouba but might be reluctant to part with their truly premium pieces. I can see Andersson possibly being in play as well as the Jets pick. Once you start talking names like Miller, Kravtsov, etc, then things probably fall apart. I think Andersson could be available simply because the Rangers added a similar player in Howden who is a little further along in his development and while he struggled through the middle of the year he still had a strong start and end to the season.

Roslovic I have no idea. The Rangers already have Chytil in the mix as a guy they'd like to see move to the middle and they have a glut of middle six players on the roster. Plus there are rumors of trying to trade into the top end of the draft to possibly add a center. So if they miss out on that they could have some interest if they think Roslovic is good competition for that #2C spot. But then that begs the question: Why is he a 2C in NY when he couldn't win that spot in Winnipeg?

So I can definitely see the Rangers having interest in Trouba, but I think the Jets will likely get stronger offers from other teams. Adding Roslovic doesn't make it so enticing that they'd really come in strong.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Trouba would be a perfect fit for New York. I think the Rags should definitely find a way in getting him. Your RHD would be set for a good while.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Tough to say. I'm sure the Rangers will do their diligence on Trouba but might be reluctant to part with their truly premium pieces. I can see Andersson possibly being in play as well as the Jets pick. Once you start talking names like Miller, Kravtsov, etc, then things probably fall apart. I think Andersson could be available simply because the Rangers added a similar player in Howden who is a little further along in his development and while he struggled through the middle of the year he still had a strong start and end to the season.

Roslovic I have no idea. The Rangers already have Chytil in the mix as a guy they'd like to see move to the middle and they have a glut of middle six players on the roster. Plus there are rumors of trying to trade into the top end of the draft to possibly add a center. So if they miss out on that they could have some interest if they think Roslovic is good competition for that #2C spot. But then that begs the question: Why is he a 2C in NY when he couldn't win that spot in Winnipeg?

So I can definitely see the Rangers having interest in Trouba, but I think the Jets will likely get stronger offers from other teams. Adding Roslovic doesn't make it so enticing that they'd really come in strong.
Roslovic probably isn't good enough for C right now hence why you haven't seen him in that spot for WPG. He's a fine middle 6 RW though, no where close to a perfect player, but could be a 35-45 pt play-maker primarily driven by assists. he produces at an efficient rate given the minutes he plays at 5v5 but unsure if he can produce more in an expanded role (he didn't have a great showing in the top 6 this season for instance). If the Jets view him as a long-term Winger he might be expendable given the prospect pool having good talent on the Wing.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Roslovic probably isn't good enough for C right now hence why you haven't seen him in that spot for WPG. He's a fine middle 6 RW though, no where close to a perfect player, but could be a 35-45 pt play-maker primarily driven by assists. he produces at an efficient rate given the minutes he plays at 5v5 but unsure if he can produce more in an expanded role (he didn't have a great showing in the top 6 this season for instance). If the Jets view him as a long-term Winger he might be expendable given the prospect pool having good talent on the Wing.

Yeah that makes him less enticing to the Rangers. Between Buchnevich, Fast, and likely Kaako they'll have enough RW options. Kravtsov can play either wing as well.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Trouba would be a perfect fit for New York. I think the Rags should definitely find a way in getting him. Your RHD would be set for a good while.
Trouba gives me the feeling of a less watched, better hyped, right handed Brady Skjei. I am not interested in locking into 8 years with anyone right now. I want to see what we have in camp first.

Reactions: haveandare

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Shocking, the Rangers fan base hating all their defenseman. Been doing it for the last 12 years even when the forwards never scored goals in the playoffs for Hank. Never blame the forward. Fan base always hate on their defenseman. Staal has been solid the past 2 years despite having a below average team around him. You might have to retain some of his salary but he would be a nice addition to a contending team. He knows how to play in the playoffs. Last year the fan base hated on Pionk. A rookie that was playing 25 minutes at one point. That about sums up my fellow Rangers fans.

Staal is actually one of the worst defensemen in the league

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
There is a dif between unproven and unready.

And even if I was wrong and these guys did not surprise [I remember hearing someone here say like a year + ago that Lindgren looked very, very good playing with Fox], I'm sure we can pick up an expiring guy cheap from somewhere as a stopgap.

Bring up K'Andre Miller --- that is grossly premature and destructive feed the wolves scenario.
Not Lindgren, Hajek
Rykov remains to be seen
They are not all getting first pair mins.
You are advocating giving 2 prospects with a minuscule amount of NHL experience major minutes. I dont care how much pro experience they have, the game is MUCH more difficult at the NHL level, especially for young defensemen. This is not NHL 19, player development in reality is a much more delicate process. You ease them in, you let them learn the game at NHL speed. You let them learn from vets. You put them in a position to succeed and build confidence. You DO NOT force feed them minutes that puts them in over their head. Did you watch Pionk last season? This is yet another of your terrible, unrealistic ideas which make up 90% of your posts.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Staal has been solid the past 2 years despite having a below average team around him. You might have to retain some of his salary but he would be a nice addition to a contending team.

So Staal has been solid and he would be a nice addition to a contending team... ?

A few weeks ago you said Gorton needs to buy him out because he’s useless?

Why does a contending team need to trade for a useless player?

There is no way Staal, Shattenkirk and Smith can be on this roster from game 1. They either have to be dealt or bought out. All are useless at this point. If Gorton doesn't get rid of them then he's clueless.

JealousLimitedKangaroo-max-1mb.gif

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
That's funny considering your team has limited talent and no depth. You basically relied on your 4th line to win games. LOL

So their 4TH LINE won them games yet they have no depth. Say that again but slowly...

Please tell me who aside from kreider on that wretched list would make the islanders roster

Mikachu93

Formerly MacTruck
Aug 1, 2010
NY
So their 4TH LINE won them games yet they have no depth. Say that again but slowly...

Please tell me who aside from kreider on that wretched list would make the islanders roster

Make the roster? Namestnikov, Strome, Vesey, Pionk And Shattenkirk COMFORTABLY make the roster. Acting like they aren’t NHL players to fit your narrative is patently ridiculous.

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
The Islanders defenseman are trash. You were humiliated against a Canes team who couldn't even compete vs. Boston.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
I respectfully disagree.
Nieves has shown he can't yet assert control all by himself [as is the case with most on NYR or in NHL, few dominate], but he CAN function well enough to be a useful, productive cog with what he has. Let's be fair. We see this kid can deliver silky smooth passes and can skate.

The issue with what you say when you talk up Nieves is that he doesn't necessarily do any of these things better than anyone else who currently plays C on the NYR. Pointing out that he can't assert that control is a testament to him not being THAT good or skilled.

I think your insistence that he is a fast skater and now a silky smooth passer, as reasons there would be some type of magic between he and Kreider is a complete load of horse dung. He may be a quick skater or even a decent passer but it is not like he is burning rings around anyone else Kreider plays with, nor is he out there being creative.

The Rangers have not played much of a speed game since Grabner left....even then Grabs didn't play with Kreider either. Nieves has established himself as a defensive oriented player, he can be a capable 4C who scores a few goals a season but his skill level is that of a marginal 4C. He really is not that skilled. You are not getting much else out of him because he isn't capable of any real consistent offensive output at the NHL level. The reason for that is that he does not have the tools to be an offensive force.

Zib is a pretty fast skater too and certainly a much better offensive player than Nieves and more creative. The combination of Zib and Kreider produced about 52 pts last season for Kreider.......Nieves wouldn't improve upon that. Expecting so is simply silly.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad