Value of: Make a Trade with the Rangers

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Callahan only has value to NY due to being a former captain. Callahan at 50% on his expiring + 2020 2nd for Winnipeg 1st?

Absolutely not.
Why would the Rangers be giving up a first? This is beyond silly.
And no, the Rangers would not be making that trade.

A Callahan back to the Rangers trade likely looks more like:

To NY: Callahan and Tampa's 1st rd pick 2019 or 2020
To Tampa: Tampa's former 2nd rd pick 2019

Callahan has no value as an asset and the 1st covers the cap relief they get.

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
disagree
Way too many LDs.
Need to move Staal AND Skjei
and of course Smith

we have seen enuf from Hajek, Lindgren and Claesson to have 3LDs to pair.
Rykov
Reunanen
are expected invites to camp, who could surprise

Shatty we hope rebounds from injury, and returning to soon from it.
We may move him later.

Strike while the iron is hot, move Staal now while there is a Marleau to facilitate a deal. If that does not happen, we will be holding on to Staal for the foreseeable future.
Hajek and Lindgren have both played 5 NHL games. In no possible universe does that mean the Rangers have "seen enough" from them to contemplate moving Skjei.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Callahan only has value to NY due to being a former captain. Callahan at 50% on his expiring + 2020 2nd for Winnipeg 1st?

Callahan has absolutely zero value to the Rangers. He's washed up---at best he's a 4th line filler blocking a younger guy. Tampa will have to give us something pretty damned good to take him off their hands---not the other way around.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Absolutely not.
Why would the Rangers be giving up a first? This is beyond silly.
And no, the Rangers would not be making that trade.

A Callahan back to the Rangers trade likely looks more like:

To NY: Callahan and Tampa's 1st rd pick 2019 or 2020
To Tampa: Tampa's former 2nd rd pick 2019

Callahan has no value as an asset and the 1st covers the cap relief they get.

even no to that. Callahan at this point is a cap dump for TB. I think we are doing them too big of a favor in that package. They need to add their 5th-7th round pick to the deal depending on how much they retain. 5th @ 0% retian, 6th @ 25% retain, 7th @ 50% retained.

low stick side

Jun 7, 2010
Not too familiar with the Rangers current center situation but what about a Sutter for Shattenkirk trade. Same remaining term but Sutter is 2.275 cheaper

Mikachu93

Formerly MacTruck
Aug 1, 2010
NY
Not too familiar with the Rangers current center situation but what about a Sutter for Shattenkirk trade. Same remaining term but Sutter is 2.275 cheaper

While the cap savings are good, you probably would need another piece in addition to Sutter for the Rangers to consider such a deal. Shattenkirk may be overpaid but he can still put up points in the right situation and play decent enough with the right partner.

Reactions: UnSandvich

low stick side

Jun 7, 2010
While the cap savings are good, you probably would need another piece in addition to Sutter for the Rangers to consider such a deal. Shattenkirk may be overpaid but he can still put up points in the right situation and play decent enough with the right partner.
I hear you and obviously that would be the hope from the Canucks side but as you said 'in the right situation'. You could say something similar about Sutter. 'If' he can stay healthy he can score 20 goals, kill penalties and is great on the draw. I can't see the Canucks offering anything in addition to Sutter while taking on the added salary. Do the Rangers even have a need for a 3rd line defensive center?

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Nieves is irrelevant to the proposals I made re
Namest to TB
and
Staal at half for Marleau

feel free to comment, if you wish to go there...

The Namestnikov one is AWFUL for TB. Why are they doing that for an expiring contract for a player they just traded away in February 2018?

And why are the Rangers taking on Marleau to get rid of Staal AND retaining on Staal? Staal has 2 years left on his deal. Let him ride it out.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
I hear you and obviously that would be the hope from the Canucks side but as you said 'in the right situation'. You could say something similar about Sutter. 'If' he can stay healthy he can score 20 goals, kill penalties and is great on the draw. I can't see the Canucks offering anything in addition to Sutter while taking on the added salary. Do the Rangers even have a need for a 3rd line defensive center?

Not particularly, I'd rather the ice time go towards developing our own in Howden or Andersson.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
The Namestnikov one is AWFUL for TB. Why are they doing that for an expiring contract for a player they just traded away in February 2018?

And why are the Rangers taking on Marleau to get rid of Staal AND retaining on Staal? Staal has 2 years left on his deal. Let him ride it out.

But SPEED line. Even though anybody who watched Marleau last season can see he was a step behind the play. But let's have him play with Kreider and Boo" Nieves, create some unreal synergy, where he's going to have to be the one to carry the line at his age.

Last edited:

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Jesus, just looking at the Rangers roster there’s pretty much no one I’d want.

Rangers 2nd for Pysyk
Are you referring to active players in the line-up last season, in which case that's fair since we sold off players and have a few that most likely won't be on the team after the end of next year, or are you looking at the entire roster w/ prospects? If it's the latter, come on now...

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

thanks for the 2 cents

Namest is actually good and shrewd for Bolts.
At 4.0? Hell no. But 2.0 only and expiring, he is an ideal stopgap helping with cap.
Now yes, there is an assumption he will satisfactorily produce there, but again, there is a visible track record he did well with Stamkos + co, chemistry, chemistry, chemistry.

Remember we think Bolts wanted to jettison Namest simply cause they did not want to pay him in either $ or term.
Namest now has to realize he does not call shots and command a deal, and this is a chance for him to establish himself to where he has been the best fit, in TB, for less. Either that or he can ufa his ass elsewhere at a market not paying much, or ship himself off to the KHL if he wants $. Again TB controls the cards here, and their interest is to offset what they are gonna lose in production when they ship off JT Miller to have cap space for Point, etc.
And that is a 2nd now in a good draft for a late 1st next yr.
Arguably they are not getting screwed here, and as to us, we only did JT for Names, I suspect, to make sure the McD deal went thru.

As for the other swap, Staal has 2 yrs, Marleau has 1.
the $ works enuf for Leafs to do it, so take advantage of it.

This is setting aside Marleau can pivot but is also an righty shot W option, which is more immediately useful to us than LD, where we need to create space for our emerging LD youth.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Hajek and Lindgren have both played 5 NHL games. In no possible universe does that mean the Rangers have "seen enough" from them to contemplate moving Skjei.

These are not 2 kids straight outta college, no professional experience. Would more time on the farm help? Probably. Is it essential and required? No.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
But SPEED line. Even though anybody who watched Marleau last season can see he was a step behind the play. But let's have him play with Kreider and Boo" Nieves, create some unreal synergy, where he's going to have to be the one to carry the line at his age.

Marleau does not have to lead/control. He just has to keep up adequately enough. Can't be more of a drag than Stepan was. This is a guy we are keeping one full year max, likely dealing at TDL, possibly the last date. With good conditioning, and not being overused, he fits here.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Marleau does not have to lead/control. He just has to keep up adequately enough. Can't be more of a drag than Stepan was. This is a guy we are keeping one full year max, likely dealing at TDL, possibly the last date. With good conditioning, and not being overused, he fits here.
But nobody on that line can take control.. Kreider can't carry a line. Boo can't either. Stepan wasn't a drag and got Kreider more points than he would have gotten with anybody else we had.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

Brandon Sutter for Shattenkirk? Yeah--I might do something like that--if you threw in a 3rd maybe. Mind you Shatty's the better player but we've also got on our right side Fox, DeAngelo, Pionk---pretty much the same size and all puck moving offense oriented D and all with defensive issues (at least I'm assuming Fox will as a 1st year pro). I think also that the Rangers are shopping Shattenkirk--maybe someone would come up with a better offer but I don't know.

Do I think Shatty would help your team more than Sutter would help ours?--yeah I do and I think that's what the sticking point is with some of the Rangers posters here. I don't think we have room for all our RD's though and Shatty's contract is more than the other 3 combined and all of them much younger. That's why I'd want a sweetener.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
But nobody on that line can take control.. Kreider can't carry a line. Boo can't either. Stepan wasn't a drag and got Kreider more points than he would have gotten with anybody else we had.

I respectfully disagree.
Nieves has shown he can't yet assert control all by himself [as is the case with most on NYR or in NHL, few dominate], but he CAN function well enough to be a useful, productive cog with what he has. Let's be fair. We see this kid can deliver silky smooth passes and can skate. He spent a huge chunk of last yr with McLeod, and then with Andersson who could not skate adequately until he got it last 3 wks of the season. And his road was blocked b'c minutes had to be created to develop guys or showcase guys for trade.

Kreider is gonna be Kreider. Put him w/2 adequately fast linemates, and se amount of time/space should created, and the slower the line checking these three, the more that should be the case.

Individually, in a vacuum, this argument leans in your favor.
But as a specific combo, it is plausible + to expect good results.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Would moving your experienced, young top 4 D to throw 2 unproven prospects to the wolves be smart? No.

There is a dif between unproven and unready.

And even if I was wrong and these guys did not surprise [I remember hearing someone here say like a year + ago that Lindgren looked very, very good playing with Fox], I'm sure we can pick up an expiring guy cheap from somewhere as a stopgap.

Bring up K'Andre Miller --- that is grossly premature and destructive feed the wolves scenario.
Not Lindgren, Hajek
Rykov remains to be seen
They are not all getting first pair mins.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
I respectfully disagree.
Nieves has shown he can't yet assert control all by himself [as is the case with most on NYR or in NHL, few dominate], but he CAN function well enough to be a useful, productive cog with what he has. Let's be fair. We see this kid can deliver silky smooth passes and can skate. He spent a huge chunk of last yr with McLeod, and then with Andersson who could not skate adequately until he got it last 3 wks of the season. And his road was blocked b'c minutes had to be created to develop guys or showcase guys for trade.

Kreider is gonna be Kreider. Put him w/2 adequately fast linemates, and se amount of time/space should created, and the slower the line checking these three, the more that should be the case.

Individually, in a vacuum, this argument leans in your favor.
But as a specific combo, it is plausible + to expect good results.

Just........No! There is nothing valid to support whatever expected result you have here.

If you value speed over skill, which you clearly do, then whomever fast players Kreider skates with likely run around like chickens without heads much of the time. If you value skill and play making ability.....as you should, then there might be a sort of success to be had. Speed does not equate to automatic offensive success.

The Nieves dream is just bunk. The guy does not have the skill to drive a line and be an offensive force. He simply is not that type of player. He is not a skilled play making/scoring center. He is a mucker and grinder who can pop a couple in......he is a 4th liner...a career 4th liner.

I'm not even convinced his jet like speed is actually a thing either.

"
Nieves has shown he can't yet assert control all by himself [as is the case with most on NYR or in NHL, few dominate], but he CAN function well enough to be a useful, productive cog with what he has."

This is the only realistic thing you have said regarding this. It points to Nieves being a functional player in the right position. His skill set is that of a 4C.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad