Value of: Make a Trade with Nashville

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
Brodie & Backlund for PK?
I believe we're moving Subban for two possible main reasons
1) To get cap space
2) Trade from a position of strength to a position of weakness. In other words, a top6 winger.

We already have Johansen (8M), Turris (6M), Bonino (4.1M) and Sissons (~2M) + Jarnkrok and Granlund who can play C in need. I know we hope to sign Duchene who is also a center, but he'd be a 1A/1B kinda guy rather than another middle six / #2 center we have enough of already. I've read positive things about Backlund, he's like Bonino-good on the defensive side, but with better offensive tools that makes him a second line center? Anyway, you see the problem here.

Btw, would you guys consider Stone capable of handling a defensive top4 role?

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Our prospect pool IS pretty barren, but I don't think a #15 OA pick for a top-4 defender in his prime like Ellis is a good deal. You merely dream that a player you take at that spot turns out as well as Ellis has. But it doesn't always happen. And it's not like Ellis is about to walk as a UFA or anything that would otherwise motivate cashing him in early for a new pick. I'm all for trading Ellis - just for a player who can step in and contribute at a similar level right away.

I also don't think we should count on Tolvanen graduating this coming year. He season does not seem to have been quite so glamorous as the previous one was.

We don't have to deal Ellis, but I think a mid 1st for him or a deal around someone like Kessel going to be the highest his value he's gonna hit. It really depends on which direction you'd like to go in.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
The NYI trade some old arena they aren't using anymore to NSH for the rights to move the car demolition pre-game event to the parking lot of MSG during rangers home games.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
AJ is better but Kap is younger and maybe has more potential. Trading lilijgren might be a no for other leaf fans. I would probably say yes to that deal though would hate losing lilijgren.
Looking at it johnsson would be the one you would least likely you would want lose. Marner and Nylander are your top 2 right wingers leaving kapanen as your 3rd line winger. Unless they trade kadri and let Nylander be your 3c which I dont think they should do because I believe Nylander will have his best season playing along side Matthew or Tavares. I think this team helps both teams. I think it gives you a top right handed defenseman that has a reasonable cap hit and a versatile player who is very good defensively and has the skills to play in ypur top 6 if injuries happen. And it gets rid of Zaitsev contract. Maybe a change of scenery and playing with josi can resurrect his career. Gettin johnsson/kapanen to give the preds some scoring help plus some young talent. Liljegren and bracco wouldn't be an immediate help but with the play of fabbro losing ellis hurts less

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
I was also going to ask about Johansson vs. Kapanen. We will gladly take the better one, please. But wait, in that case can we trust them to tell us who is really the better one? o_O
Yeah, imagine if we as a fanbase "accepted" one of these fantasy proposals to no one in particular and they came ahead because they provided us false information :sarcasm:

We don't have to deal Ellis, but I think a mid 1st for him or a deal around someone like Kessel going to be the highest his value he's gonna hit. It really depends on which direction you'd like to go in.
It's easier to find a stopgap solution to top4 than an elite winger. If Subban (or Ellis, altho I find it less likely) for Kessel is there, I'd probably pull the trigger to trade from a position of strength to get us an elite winger with good PP resume.

Reactions: NNCbama

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
Brodie & Backlund for PK?

I don't see it for the Flames. Backlund is clearly our second best centre and our only real shutdown option. As well, our defence is our positional strength. Why would we upgrade on Brodie, who arguably doesn't need an upgrade by adding our most dependable defensive centre. I don't think the Flames want to have Monahan Lindholm Jankowski and Ryan as their centre depth.

I think Stone could be average in a top 4 role. I know when we acquired him he was good in the top 4. Probably comes down to who he's partnered with, but I also don't think he's ideal for the top 4 of any contending team.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
Hertl or Couture. May we interest you in a slightly used Ellis or Subban?

1st off. Thanks for your reply ( You too Voodoo)
Nope. No interest from at least this Sharks fan
Zero interest in Subban at any price.
upload_2019-5-24_16-24-35.jpeg

Reactions: mikeyp24

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Paired with a legit guy, he can work.
He’s more of a 5/6 who can step into the top 4 if you need the body. I don’t think you want to pencil him in there long term (more than 20 games).

He struggled after coming back from that clot.

Turris to Calgary makes sense, they’ve been on him twice now. If preds pony up for Matt Duchene... we’d need the cap to work long term but there could be a fit.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
I think Stone could be average in a top 4 role. I know when we acquired him he was good in the top 4. Probably comes down to who he's partnered with, but I also don't think he's ideal for the top 4 of any contending team.

Paired with a legit guy, he can work.
He’s more of a 5/6 who can step into the top 4 if you need the body. I don’t think you want to pencil him in there long term (more than 20 games).

He struggled after coming back from that clot.

Turris to Calgary makes sense, they’ve been on him twice now. If preds pony up for Matt Duchene... we’d need the cap to work long term but there could be a fit.

Thanks. So it would have to be Hamonic if we wanted a defensive partner for Josi to start the season in top4. Well, maybe Stone would work as a backup option if Laviolette decides to start Fabbro in a top4 role. This all assuming we move Subban or Ellis.

Perhaps we could move Subban for Kessel and then Turris to you guys for Hamonic/Stone. Would you consider Hamonic available in such deal? These two moves could probably save us enough cap space to sign Duchene (didn't check, but it's close).

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Nashville- PK Subban

New Jersey- Miles Wood, Damon Severson And 1st 2020

Nashville- Rids them selves of Subbans 9 million cap hit to make a push for a FA like Duchene. Severson takes Subbans spot in the Lineup and on the 2nd PP. Miles Wood is a solid depth player and the 1st is a potential high pick.

New Jersey- With a healthy Hall, Hughes/Kakko And Subban they can make a strong playoff push and they have the cap for Subban

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
I would not do Kessel for Subban straight up as a Pens fans because of the salary and the fact that we already have Letang and Schultz.

It’s a interesting base though.

What about Kessel and Schultz for Granlund and Subban

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Nashville- PK Subban

Nashville- Rids them selves of Subbans 9 million cap hit to make a push for a FA like Duchene. Severson takes Subbans spot in the Lineup and on the 2nd PP. Miles Wood is a solid depth player and the 1st is a potential high pick.

New Jersey- With a healthy Hall, Hughes/Kakko And Subban they can make a strong playoff push and they have the cap for Subban
This would be ok if I was just set in the mindset of moving Subban, and had already decided I'm moving him "no matter what" this summer. To be in that mindset I'd need information about Subban that I don't currently have. I'd have to know something about his health or decided I'm old school and don't like his antics or something like that. And if I had that mindset, then taking Severson as a young fill-in at RD, a speedy checking wing, and a potentially good 1st round pick would be a decent return.

But instead, my mindset is more that I'd rather not trade Subban, not unless it clearly UPGRADED our present lineup in some fashion - which most likely means trading him for a top line scoring winger. Downgrades and futures to clear a little cap space is not where I'd choose to go. Mainly because I think we have far more "expendable" players than Subban, who have less upside to bring something to the table than Subban does, if we are looking to clear cap space.

So I think it's a good offer. But it will be up to individual tastes whether to take it or not. Severson would likely be exposed in expansion, so he's not as long-term an asset in our view as he might seem.

Reactions: Unbiased Fan

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Nashville- PK Subban

Seems like a terrible idea for NJ to trade Severson. Also seems like a terrible idea for a team drafting 1st overall this year to be trading their 1st round pick next year

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I would not do Kessel for Subban straight up as a Pens fans because of the salary and the fact that we already have Letang and Schultz.

It’s a interesting base though.

What about Kessel and Schultz for Granlund and Subban
This wouldn't work at all. We want to ADD to Granlund to try to build a second scoring line, not move him. And downgrading Subban to Schultz would be senseless for us... unless...

I like the Kessel/Ellis direction a lot better. But I also think Poile will stand by Ellis. So practically speaking it does suggest a backup plan in the Kessel/Subban direction is worth thinking about. And for your cap, throwing Schultz back makes sense. But I just don't see a step to Granlund involved. It has to be something lesser. Kessel-Subban and Schultz-Jarnkrok as the balancing items maybe. :dunno:

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
Nashville- PK Subban

The biggest reason we Preds fans are eager to move Subban/Ellis is that Fabbro is making them expendable in near future. I don't think we should rely on the kid yet, so we could use a stopgap solution on the right side. Someone we could pair with Josi, someone who could be counted to handle the heavy lifting in the defensive zone, someone who we can push to 3rd pair whenever Fabbro is ready to take over. I wouldn't mind paying a 3rd pair dman 4M for a year or two while Fabbro is still on his ELC, but those four years on Severson's contract are a deal-breaker.

Besides, we'd only save just over 2M with this trade (Severson 4.17M + Woods 2.75M = rounded down 6.9M), so this proposal didn't address that issue too well either. Replace Woods with a prospect or another pick and it would make sense if it wasn't for Fabbro and what I described above.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Seems like a terrible idea for NJ to trade Severson. Also seems like a terrible idea for a team drafting 1st overall this year to be trading their 1st round pick next year
The thing is they’re a year removed from a playoff stint. This season they lacked a healthy Hall and adding Subban and Hughes/Kakko almost surely brings them into the playoffs

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
The biggest reason we Preds fans are eager to move Subban/Ellis is that Fabbro is making them expendable in near future. I don't think we should rely on the kid yet, so we could use a stopgap solution on the right side. Someone we could pair with Josi, someone who could be counted to handle the heavy lifting in the defensive zone, someone who we can push to 3rd pair whenever Fabbro is ready to take over. I wouldn't mind paying a 3rd pair dman 4M for a year or two while Fabbro is still on his ELC, but those four years on Severson's contract are a deal-breaker.

Besides, we'd only save just over 2M with this trade (Severson 4.17M + Woods 2.75M = rounded down 6.9M), so this proposal didn't address that issue too well either. Replace Woods with a prospect or another pick and it would make sense if it wasn't for Fabbro and what I described above.
What do you have in mind with the prospect/Pick would Michael McLeoud be of interest ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad