Value of: Make a Trade with Nashville

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Not too interested in trading nylander tbh. He is looking poised for a comeback year and Ellis is a bit too old to deal him for. We cant just deal kap as his cap hit wont be enough to balance the books

Would something like

Kap+Kadri for Ellis + Scissons work from the preds POV?
It's fair enough, I guess, though it wouldn't be to my taste. I like Sissons just fine in a 3C slot, he's versatile, young, and will be cheaper than Kadri. I wouldn't swap them. Just Kapanen and something for Ellis would be more to my taste. I'm not as hard on Zaitsev as many around here seem to be. I'd find more mileage in taking Zaitsev back to plug into Ellis' roster spot on RD. Kapanen+Zaitsev for Ellis would interest me more. Although it actually increases our cap, which would be a problem. I wouldn't straight pull the trigger on that one, but it's a little more in a direction I'd think about.

Either way I'd lean to keeping Kadri out of anything - he ought to be more valuable to some other team than us, I think. We're fine at center aside from just sniffing around to upgrade at #2C, and Kadri doesn't really do that for us.

That's just me though.

Reactions: SHANNYPLAN

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Not too interested in trading nylander tbh. He is looking poised for a comeback year and Ellis is a bit too old to deal him for. We cant just deal kap as his cap hit wont be enough to balance the books

Would something like

Kap+Kadri for Ellis + Scissons work from the preds POV?
Johnsson, Liljegren and bracco for ellis and jarnkrok?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I want to see how Granlund plays with a fresh start this season. Way too early to write him off, especially with Turris still on the roster.
Yeah, I know. On odd days I think that too. And then on even ones I wish we had Fiala back. And on these even days I'm really only thinking more on the contracts/long-term side of things anyway, fearing that we just get 1 season out of Granlund. If he had only lit things up after the trade - most of us loved the deal when it happened, but the funk he was in afterwards for us put a damp blanket on things. I'm not really writing him off or anything. Fiala was a fun player to watch. Like roller coasters are fun. Hopefully in the end Granlund turns it back to what we originally expected from the swap.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
It's fair enough, I guess, though it wouldn't be to my taste. I like Sissons just fine in a 3C slot, he's versatile, young, and will be cheaper than Kadri. I wouldn't swap them. Just Kapanen and something for Ellis would be more to my taste. I'm not as hard on Zaitsev as many around here seem to be. I'd find more mileage in taking Zaitsev back to plug into Ellis' roster spot on RD. Kapanen+Zaitsev for Ellis would interest me more. Although it actually increases our cap, which would be a problem. I wouldn't straight pull the trigger on that one, but it's a little more in a direction I'd think about.

Either way I'd lean to keeping Kadri out of anything - he ought to be more valuable to some other team than us, I think. We're fine at center aside from just sniffing around to upgrade at #2C, and Kadri doesn't really do that for us.

That's just me though.
That's fair. If we do a kap+zaitsev deal what else needs to be put in to make it a fair deal. Most people are not willing to take Zaitsev and view him as a cap dump. I see him having value as a 4/5 defender but can view the risk that comes from him as he will need to be protected in the expansion draft.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Johnsson, Liljegren and bracco for ellis and jarnkrok?
Leafs cant afford to give up lilijgren. He is our only legit rhd prospect. Also we cant take on cap. In this deal we take on 6.25 mill and give maybe 4 at max(doubt AJ gets that much). We dont have the ability to absorb 2.25 extra million as we are toght with the cap.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Yeah, I know. On odd days I think that too. And then on even ones I wish we had Fiala back. And on these even days I'm really only thinking more on the contracts/long-term side of things anyway, fearing that we just get 1 season out of Granlund. If he had only lit things up after the trade - most of us loved the deal when it happened, but the funk he was in afterwards for us put a damp blanket on things. I'm not really writing him off or anything. Fiala was a fun player to watch. Like roller coasters are fun. Hopefully in the end Granlund turns it back to what we originally expected from the swap.

NSH has to dump someone soon if they decide to push for Duchene.

Granlund has more value and only 1 year commit. Turris has term and could bounce back, but trade value is really low. Offer both players and if one is taken, NSH has the cap space to fulfill Duchene dream.

Duchene - Preds.jpg

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Let me lead with i wouldn't do this...but for the purpose of the thread:

To Nashville
Nylander
Brown (cap purposes)

To Toronto
Subban

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
That's fair. If we do a kap+zaitsev deal what else needs to be put in to make it a fair deal. Most people are not willing to take Zaitsev and view him as a cap dump. I see him having value as a 4/5 defender but can view the risk that comes from him as he will need to be protected in the expansion draft.
Most people know more about Zaitsev than me. :) We would not remotely consider protecting him in the expansion draft, though. I'm thinking of him basically just as a temporary stop-gap on our defense while Fabbro gets used to the NHL grind. In fact, we would probably love it if Seattle took him when that time comes. There are probably cheaper options for us in terms of getting a stopgap RD if we move Ellis, but at least that's a type of asset I think we can make some use of, and it would help you guys on the cap as part of it. Probably no Nashville fan but me will like that idea, I guess. :)

The catch is if Kapanen makes around $4M and Zaitsev carries his $4.5M into this, we're adding over $2M which is maybe not what we want to do either. At least not in isolation. If we had other things afoot at the same time it might fly - basically it's not a move I'd make until I had the rest of my payroll sorted out, but it could be an option depending on how everything else went.

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Let me lead with i wouldn't do this...but for the purpose of the thread:

To Nashville
Nylander
Brown (cap purposes)

To Toronto
Subban
I'm not comfortable enough with Nylander to trade Subban for him. Some folks might be. For me it's just I've seen Subban make a huge positive impact for our team when he's on his game. He can be a difference maker on offense and defense, and we lack a lot of his grit on our D. If I did trade him, I'd want to be pretty sure it brought in an impact forward. And I'm just not confident enough that Nylander at $7M would be our best bet to get that level of impact. Nylander is a good young skill player, but I'm not sure he's a gamebreaker the way a Norris candidate defender can be. Plus Nylander seems a little more of a playmaker and softer style of player... for our team's mix I'd rather have more of a shooter or somebody bringing a significant physical factor if I was trading Subban.

(NB: This is different than trading Ellis the way I look at it - I'm ok getting a less-ideal fit for our mix of forwards when trading Ellis just because Ellis doesn't bring the same game-breaking impact to our team as Subban can- Ellis himself is not an ideal fit for us either. Of course it also assumes there isn't actually something permanently "broken" about Subban and that he's still capable of doing the things he did in past seasons - unfortunately that's an unknown at this point, however - most of his regular season was crap and the worst of his career, but he showed the last month including playoffs that he still had his old spark - would not blame anybody for being unsure what to make of it all. If that helps explain my position any! :) ).

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
And why does Toronto do this? Just to be nice and do Nash a solid?
Yeah, I think his point was we're not interested in Kadri. Unless-you-took-Turris-haha-but-of-course-Turris-doesn't-make-sense-for-you-and-you-wouldn't-take-Turris-so-please-stop-suggesting-Kadri. Something like that. :) He just left off the obligatory smiley. :)

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Leafs cant afford to give up lilijgren. He is our only legit rhd prospect. Also we cant take on cap. In this deal we take on 6.25 mill and give maybe 4 at max(doubt AJ gets that much). We dont have the ability to absorb 2.25 extra million as we are toght with the cap.
So what about Zaitsev, johnsson, Liljegren and bracco for ellis and jarnkrok? We take Zaitsev off your books and give you a top rhd you guys need. We get youth and a left winger who can give us some scoring help. Curious who is better kap or Johansson?

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Regardless of value really makes no sense for a team trying to compete now.

Idk, I think I'd do that. If we can get a good forward and defenseman at the draft, or move up to the top 10, that'd really help us a lot. Fabbro and Tolvanen should graduate to the Preds this year and our prospect pool is pretty barren, Fabbro just needs to be a steady no.4 to replace Ellis/Subban.

Getting Duchene to go along with this deal would help us contend, but I think this year will be a step back from previous seasons.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Idk, I think I'd do that. If we can get a good forward and defenseman at the draft, or move up to the top 10, that'd really help us a lot. Fabbro and Tolvanen should graduate to the Preds this year and our prospect pool is pretty barren, Fabbro just needs to be a steady no.4 to replace Ellis/Subban.
Our prospect pool IS pretty barren, but I don't think a #15 OA pick for a top-4 defender in his prime like Ellis is a good deal. You merely dream that a player you take at that spot turns out as well as Ellis has. But it doesn't always happen. And it's not like Ellis is about to walk as a UFA or anything that would otherwise motivate cashing him in early for a new pick. I'm all for trading Ellis - just for a player who can step in and contribute at a similar level right away.

I also don't think we should count on Tolvanen graduating this coming year. He season does not seem to have been quite so glamorous as the previous one was.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
So what about Zaitsev, johnsson, Liljegren and bracco for ellis and jarnkrok? We take Zaitsev off your books and give you a top rhd you guys need. We get youth and a left winger who can give us some scoring help. Curious who is better kap or Johansson?
I'm going to guess you won't get much traction trying to pry top ELC prospects out of the Leafs... they are going to need those guys stepping up to backfill.

I was also going to ask about Johansson vs. Kapanen. We will gladly take the better one, please. But wait, in that case can we trust them to tell us who is really the better one? o_O

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
AJ is better but Kap is younger and maybe has more potential. Trading lilijgren might be a no for other leaf fans. I would probably say yes to that deal though would hate losing lilijgren.

Reactions: NNCbama

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad