Value of: Make a Trade with Minnesota

I Like Eich

Oct 15, 2014
I was going to say, the bonkers move would be Brodin and Zucker for #7, Nylander and McCabe. Minnesota takes all the risk/upside while Buffalo gets stability and strong complimentary players.

I don't think 7OA is available from Buffalo looking at how the draft board is probably going to fall, but you never know.
Botterill loves his U.S. born players, we need scoring, and one or more of Turcotte, Caufield, Zegras, Boldy are likely going to be there at 7.

The main piece the Sabres should be dangling for trade is Ristolainen, not sure that MIN has a real need for him though.

Zucker for 2019 STL 1st? (30/31OA) Might not be the final offer but I feel like it's a pretty good start...just not sure if MIN is okay with just futures for him.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I don't think 7OA is available from Buffalo looking at how the draft board is probably going to fall, but you never know.
Botterill loves his U.S. born players, we need scoring, and one or more of Turcotte, Caufield, Zegras, Boldy are likely going to be there at 7.

The main piece the Sabres should be dangling for trade is Ristolainen, not sure that MIN has a real need for him though.

Zucker for 2019 STL 1st? (30/31OA) Might not be the final offer but I feel like it's a pretty good start...just not sure if MIN is okay with just futures for him.
I don't like Ristolainen at all, personally. And we wouldn't have a place for him to play unless we trade Spurgeon, which doesn't appear to be the plan right now.

I don't think St Louis's pick is a viable basis for a deal. With the right add I guess it's not miles away from the Frolik + #26 rumor from the deadline, but I don't think Buffalo has the right add and I hope that's not really what Fenton's after at this point.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Risto doesn’t fit what Fenton seems to be trying to do so why would that be the piece that they dangle?

I Like Eich

Oct 15, 2014
I don't like Ristolainen at all, personally. And we wouldn't have a place for him to play unless we trade Spurgeon, which doesn't appear to be the plan right now.

I don't think St Louis's pick is a viable basis for a deal. With the right add I guess it's not miles away from the Frolik + #26 rumor from the deadline, but I don't think Buffalo has the right add and I hope that's not really what Fenton's after at this point.

Yeah I mostly agree. The add would likely be another pick or prospect... we do have some solid D prospects coming up (Pilut, Bryson, Borgen, Fitzgerald), but you can maybe do better. Would really like Zucker on the Sabres though, he'd be a great fit, fills an immediate need.

I Like Eich

Oct 15, 2014
Risto doesn’t fit what Fenton seems to be trying to do so why would that be the piece that they dangle?

I meant that as what the Sabres will be looking to offer in general this offseason, if they want to go for a big deal... not necessarily to MIN or what makes sense for MIN. Just from the Sabres POV. Should've clarified that better

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Risto is very good, but we've already got one of the highest scoring D corps in the league, and our very own Cowboy RHD in Dumba. MN would value Risto far less than many other teams in the league who would love to have a large, talented, young, RHD.

Reactions: Chainshot

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
It's definitely close and it'd probably depend on the type of player that is available at 11. I've never thought highly of Gudas and see him as a comparable player to Pateryn, but he would fit in as that RD.

I personally wouldn't do it because I think Spurgeon is our best defenseman and I could see our defense falling off a cliff after a move like this. If we're going through a longer term rebuild, I'd probably do the trade though as I think the value is fair for a defenseman 1 year away from UFA.
Hes a UFA next season, wouldn't that lower his value quite a bit?

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
It’s not a rebuild. At least not in the most common sense of the word.
I mean that may not be what they're doing but it certainly should be after finishing last in the division with a fairly old team.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I mean that may not be what they're doing but it certainly should be after finishing last in the division with a fairly old team.

Yeah but it’s not what they’re doing and that’s what matters

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I meant that as what the Sabres will be looking to offer in general this offseason, if they want to go for a big deal... not necessarily to MIN or what makes sense for MIN. Just from the Sabres POV. Should've clarified that better

Some fans and a couple of the beat reports are interested in trading him. That doesn’t mean he is the only piece they have to make a trade. Round pegs don’t necessarily fit into square holes.

I Like Eich

Oct 15, 2014
Some fans and a couple of the beat reports are interested in trading him. That doesn’t mean he is the only piece they have to make a trade. Round pegs don’t necessarily fit into square holes.

I think it makes sense to trade him if it's for someone who can play in our top-6, C or Wing. Doesn't mean that we have to trade him... but sometimes players develop bad habits staying in the same place making the same mistakes over and over. At some point something has got to give, right?

Ristolainen I believe is extremely talented, and will likely be a better player wherever he goes than what he's been in Buffalo. A lot of that has to do with the teams here that he's played on, and the incorrect usage role he's been forced into. Sometimes a change of scenery is best for both sides. If a top-6 F, similar age, decent contract is on the table, if I'm BUF I'm listening.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad