Value of: Make a Trade with Colorado

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
That’s probably more realistic for the Wild.
MIN trades Zucker to COL for Tyson Jost OR 16th Overall would be good for both sides.
Fenton might prefer Jost, but CO would probably prefer sending the #16, as they need forward depth ASAP. Sending Jost away sort of screws with that. I'm fine with the pick.

Reactions: Y3TI

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Fenton might prefer Jost, but CO would probably prefer sending the #16, as they need forward depth ASAP. Sending Jost away sort of screws with that. I'm fine with the pick.

I dunno actually. We're pretty good in terms of depth but need legit Top 6 forwards now and eventually we will really need the cheap depth that #16 could provide us.

Personally I'd probably prefer to move Jost and hang onto #16 to use on a guy like Tomasino.

Then snag Turris for cheap as I think he would do quite well in a lesser pressured situation as the 2C in Colorado.

Something like Jost for Zucker then say OTT 3rd for Turris at the draft.

Turris/Zucker makes for a solid duo on the 2nd line that should be able to chip in 45-50 points a season each. While Avs hang onto #4, #16, and Kaut. Three key pieces for cheap depth in 2-3 years time when we will really need it.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Saving your bullets for later only works if you're not squandering shots now. The Cubbard won't exactly be bare if we move #16 and use future picks for those cheap future ELCs during the retool. With the way Jost came on, I'd probably prefer to move the pick unless someone unexpected falls to 16...even if I think he maxes out as a 3c/2nd line winger who needs to be playing off of someone that creates space for their linemates.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Saving your bullets for later only works if you're not squandering shots now. The Cubbard won't exactly be bare if we move #16 and use future picks for those cheap future ELCs during the retool. With the way Jost came on, I'd probably prefer to move the pick unless someone unexpected falls to 16...even if I think he maxes out as a 3c/2nd line winger who needs to be playing off of someone that creates space for their linemates.

But if we make a play for Zucker and Turris(Or Hayes).... I think it would be much more valuable to the team to have #16 and have a guy that in 2-3 years from now would stand a good chance at playing that 3rd line role for us on an ELC rather than having Jost playing that role but making 3-4M at that point.

To me if you get Zucker and Hayes/Turris... along with Soda, Compher, Kerfoot, Nieto, and Calvert, you already have a pretty deep bottom 9 where Jost maybe doesn't fit in anymore. Example being...

Landy - Mack - Rants
Zucker - Hayes - Compher
Nieto - Soda - Calvert
xxx - Kerfoot - xxx

That's just 2 spots left at that point already. Sure Jost could take one of them. But to me there's more value in moving Jost and having that #16 pick, along with Kaut and the #4 pick being available as cheap, under 1M depth slotting into the lineup over the next 3 years instead of having Jost most likely at 3-4M in 2-3 years from now for those same roles.

I guess it mostly comes down to the upside you believe Jost has. If you still think he can be a legit quality 2nd line forward and are confident in that then yeah keep him and move the pick. But if you're like me and believe he's destined to be a 3rd line guy who just doesn't have the offensive upside to be a consistent Top 6 forward... I like the thought of moving him for Zucker more than #16.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
But if we make a play for Zucker and Turris(Or Hayes).... I think it would be much more valuable to the team to have #16 and have a guy that in 2-3 years from now would stand a good chance at playing that 3rd line role for us on an ELC rather than having Jost playing that role but making 3-4M at that point.

To me if you get Zucker and Hayes/Turris... along with Soda, Compher, Kerfoot, Nieto, and Calvert, you already have a pretty deep bottom 9 where Jost maybe doesn't fit in anymore. Example being...

Landy - Mack - Rants
Zucker - Hayes - Compher
Nieto - Soda - Calvert
xxx - Kerfoot - xxx

That's just 2 spots left at that point already. Sure Jost could take one of them. But to me there's more value in moving Jost and having that #16 pick, along with Kaut and the #4 pick being available as cheap, under 1M depth slotting into the lineup over the next 3 years instead of having Jost most likely at 3-4M in 2-3 years from now for those same roles.

I guess it mostly comes down to the upside you believe Jost has. If you still think he can be a legit quality 2nd line forward and are confident in that then yeah keep him and move the pick. But if you're like me and believe he's destined to be a 3rd line guy who just doesn't have the offensive upside to be a consistent Top 6 forward... I like the thought of moving him for Zucker more than #16.

Other than the 3rd that Florida has, we still have all of our picks moving forward, with which to draft future ELCs, and our prospect pool would still be strong even without #16. Which is why I'm much more worried about our depth next season, than having an extra ELC coming up in 2-3 years.

And Jost is currently a quality third liner, one that may or may not be in the middle of breaking through as 2nd liner...who I'd definitely rather have on that line than Jimmothy; although I'd organize the lines differently in general if we did add those two:

Landy - MacK - Zucker
Jost - Hayes - Rantanen
Calvert - Soda - Nieto*
XXX - Kam - Jimmothy*

With that final spot going to Wilson, Greer, or anyone but BDK. That way we'd still have the unstoppable top line, but we'd also have a 2nd line that can really feast; with quality depth in the bottom 6.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Habs team vs MacKinnon

Not "vs", they're not in a confrontation. It's "for".

In before a Hab fan offers a trade involving Drouin so he could be paired up with Mackinnon again. :sarcasm:

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Barrie is not better than Trouba.

He is. Far superior offensively and the gap on the defensive side is not as big as the one on the offensive side. Trouba is an epitome of a player that is good all-round without a marquee quality to his game. Barrie is an elite offensive defenseman and I take players with elite attributes over all-rounders and day of the week and twice on Sunday. And even if you believe he is not, the addition of the 16th overall is absurd.

Reactions: Reeceabreu

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
well as a wild fan i don't really want to see this happen but if Colorado traded #16 for zucker and signed ufa Duchene i would think you'd be unstoppable next season. i know Duchene left on unpleasant terms but cash & a potential cup ring heals all wounds!

nightonthesun

Sep 8, 2013
New Jersey
I don't think you can move jost right now. He was too good in the playoffs and you need to see if he might actually be consistent enough to play in the top six.

Best deal in the thread so far has been EJ for Kadri/Marleau, and I say that with a Kadri-hating grimace

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
He is. Far superior offensively and the gap on the defensive side is not as big as the one on the offensive side. Trouba is an epitome of a player that is good all-round without a marquee quality to his game. Barrie is an elite offensive defenseman and I take players with elite attributes over all-rounders and day of the week and twice on Sunday. And even if you believe he is not, the addition of the 16th overall is absurd.
Barrie is so unrated defensively. He looked like a shut down defenseman compared to Karlsson and Burns in the SJ series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad