Makar vs Hughes

Which prospect would you rather have?

• Total voters

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Important to remember that Hughes is a full year younger than Makar. For prospects at their age, especially defensemen, that’s huge.

This is Hughes

Im not going to argue that because it’s obviously true, but they’ve also been in the exact same situation for the past 3 years. They went to college at the same time. They went to the pros at the same time. Makar has a year on him, but it isn’t like he’s had an extra year in each league.

Reactions: cgf

Index

Fillmore, I'm on it!
Mar 24, 2013
Been watching both of these exciting prospects, In my opinion they are the same right now.

It makes sense to go with the younger one, Hughes.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Im not going to argue that because it’s obviously true, but they’ve also been in the exact same situation for the past 3 years. They went to college at the same time. They went to the pros at the same time. Makar has a year on him, but it isn’t like he’s had an extra year in each league.

But has had an Extra year of physical development. For Hughes it's pretty important considering he's a small dman.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
But has had an Extra year of physical development. For Hughes it's pretty important considering he's a small dman.

It’s not nothing. It just isn’t the normal case where the older guy has clearly had more experience at higher levels. They both spent two years in college and this is the rookie year for both.

it isn’t unreasonable to discount Makar a bit because he has the extra year, but it also isn’t like he had 3 years in college or an extra pro year first.

Toyoraura

Jan 11, 2016
Got both and hell im super happy. They look really good and their respective team are doing well too. I think Hughes has more impact where Colorado have strong offensive lines to shelter Makar

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Important to remember that Hughes is a full year younger than Makar. For prospects at their age, especially defensemen, that’s huge.

This is Hughes

While true, Makar was a late bloomer and was especially raw when drafted; meaning he had some catching up to do post-draft to get to a similar point to where Hughes was when he was drafted a year later. So at present, both are at similar points in their development curves. Hughes is playing better this year, and there's a strong argument for preferring him in the long run...but that 1 year ain't it; it's his higher level of creativity/slickness with the puck & smoother transition to the professional level (on both ends of the ice) atm.

Still too early to really change my opinion too much since both are just so talented & so exciting that I can only hope that both continue to develop towards their full potential.

True. Though this is the kind of hairsplitting that would mean also bringing up that Hughes has been working on his body with elite trainers for longer; which should (at least) mute some of the advantage Makar would have from that extra year of simple physical development...if not completely negating it, depending on the quality gap between the USNDP's staff & Brooks'.

But that's too pedantic for me when both are still so early in their careers & both have so much talent to tap into...and when I'm not getting paid to be that much of a pedant lol. I have no qualms with calling Hughes the more impressive of the two so far this season, but I still can't pick between them moving forward & would rather just have both :laugh:

...so how about Vancouver trades us Hughes for Byram? :naughty:

Last edited:
Reactions: Grantham

SteelerNation

Oct 23, 2012
While true, Makar was a late bloomer and was especially raw when drafted; meaning he had some catching up to do post-draft to get to a similar point to where Hughes was when he was drafted a year later. So at present, both are at similar points in their development curves. Hughes is playing better this year, and there's a strong argument for preferring him in the long run...but that 1 year ain't it; it's his higher level of creativity/slickness with the puck & smoother transition to the professional level (on both ends of the ice) atm.

Still too early to really change my opinion too much since both are just so talented & so exciting that I can only hope that both continue to develop towards their full potential.

True. Though this is the kind of hairsplitting that would mean also bringing up that Hughes has been working on his body with elite trainers for longer; which should (at least) mute some of the advantage Makar would have from that extra year of simple physical development...if not completely negating it, depending on the quality gap between the USNDP's staff & Brooks'.

But that's too pedantic for me when both are still so early in their careers & both have so much talent to tap into...and when I'm not getting paid to be that much of a pedant lol. I have no qualms with calling Hughes the more impressive of the two so far this season, but I still can't pick between them moving forward & would rather just have both :laugh:

...so how about Vancouver trades us Hughes for Byram? :naughty:
Byram is such a stud too.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Similar stats, kind of similar styles

i'll take the player who's one year younger (even though its just a physical year younger and not in terms of hockey development).

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Makar over anyone not named Dahlin.

JohnnyBerts

Oct 30, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
They're both really good. I think once Hughes understands how to better exploit his skating, he'll be even better. Makar came in hasn't tried to do overdo it with all the stars around him which makes him seem really poised. I think they're both going to get a lot better. Hard to say which is better right now.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Makar over anyone not named Dahlin.

So far Heiskanen has more even strength points than any of Dahlin, Makar or Hughes and he's also the only one of that group with first-pair defensive responsibilities. I think Heiskanen is better than any other young defenceman in the league (and that includes Dahlin for at least the time being). He has a commanding presence on the ice that is really something to see.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Byram is such a stud too.

Don't get me wrong; I think he's got a good shot at becoming a top pairing guy, but I don't think he has that same kind of special talent to ever be a dynamic #1 in the NHL; so I'm not nearly as high on him as I was Heiskanen, Makar or Hughes. With those three I was convinced that they had the talent to create in the NHL...and though Byram can drive offense in the dub, I don't think he's explosive enough a skater or skilled enough with the puck, to drive offense like that at the NHL level.

So I see more Hanifin than Heiskanen in Byram...which isn't exactly a bad thing given that we already have Makar as our future #1 & Girard as a nifty young #3...but that's still not quite the same thing as if we were looking at a future of throwing one of Hughes or Makar onto the ice for 45+ minutes a night :laugh:

Reactions: Grantham

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
What's the gap between these guys and other young D such as Heiskanen? Deangelo? Heinola?

Heiskanen is above all of them right now and Makar/Hughes are basically tied for 2nd amongst the players you listed after Heiskanen. Deangelo and Heinola are a couple of tiers down the list after those 3

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
What's the gap between these guys and other young D such as Heiskanen? Deangelo? Heinola?
I've always been very high on Deangelo since his junior days. Such a dynamic player offensively. Bit uncontrolled but I'm sure he'll sort that out.

Heinola I haven't seen much of to be honest. Looks like Jets fans are very happy with his performance, as well they should be for a such a young newly drafted D that can crack their lineup. Looks like a more balanced player, probably not the offensively electric player like Makar or Hughes from the couple of games I saw of him.

Heiskanen is just smooth smooth smooth! Love his passing, I think its one of the best aspects along with his skating. Always hits it tape to tape with the perfect velocity. Very heady player. He is a Pieterangelo in the making, which is going to control the game for a decade plus.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Makar and Hughes are very special in the way they can tilt the ice though. I think neither is going to be as good as Heiskanen in the D zone, but they will not be a liability either.

I love the style that Makar plays. Very tall and head up all the time, yet can skate like the wind and turn on a dime. Could be a figure skater. Hard shot, great vision, and has a very good sense of the pace and spacing on the ice.

Hughes I'm most familiar with, and he is just plain fun to watch. Every game there are one of two moments when the crowd just gasps and cheers in wonder of something he just did. Plays a very strong, control with the puck. Very hard to take the puck away from him, because he can make you like a fool chasing him around. Awesome stick on the defensive side, and that really saves him from him getting hammered or having to try to out-muscle bigger players.

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
Heiskanen is above all of them right now and Makar/Hughes are basically tied for 2nd amongst the players you listed after Heiskanen. Deangelo and Heinola are a couple of tiers down the list after those 3

Deangelo looks like he can keep up offensively with Makar and Hughes.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
based on the advanced stats this season both of these guys have been insanely good. makar leads the league in xGPM and hughes is 4th in GAR among dmen. two future norris contenders and possibly winners honestly.

Reactions: LuckyBoeser

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Can we end this now? Avs fans have been very nice but it's really no contest. Makar is just better.

Edit: Hughes is awesome, though. This fact doesn't change.

How about we wait for the season to end before making such conclusions for your first paragraph.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad