Majority of Canadians Want Fighting Ban in all junior hockey

• Thread starter MapleLeafGardens*
  • Start date

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
I love these polls that ask the general population about something specific.

Why don't they just ask hockey fans or hockey parents. The people who actually support the sport financially and the basis of the customer base.

Asking the general population is complete crap. And these same fans that were asked are probably the same ones loving the fights when they go down. The fact is violence sells and the NHL knows this very well.

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
fighting is one of those things that makes hockey a unique sport
hitting, being physical... hockey is known as a PHYSICAL SPORT

let's get rid of fighting
let's get rid of hitting
it hurts players

anyone got a soccer ball?
hey buddy, you dont like it

go play some soccer

mikeo1

Jan 6, 2008
Vancouver
I really don't get why people here are so upset. Do you not like the results of the poll, or are you unimpressed by its methodology?

jughead42*

We live in a world where people who can't settle things without a gun do some nasty things. There's nothing wrong with our sport showing young men that you should stick up for yourself and not get pushed around by way of fists. I don't care what anyone says, the world isn't full of unicorns and sunshine, kids need to be able to learn to survive in the world that exists, not the one people thinks should exist where you'll never fight. Nothing does that better than a hockey fight. You see it all the time, two men can have a conflict and settle it with their fists, and have respect for each other while doing it. It's part of who we are as men, you cannot take that out of our DNA by banning hockey fights and limiting physical contact. George Carlin said it best, we are breeding generations of weak kids, and it's not making life easier for them. Sometimes you have to throw down.

mikeo1

Jan 6, 2008
Vancouver
We live in a world where people who can't settle things without a gun do some nasty things. There's nothing wrong with our sport showing young men that you should stick up for yourself and not get pushed around by way of fists. I don't care what anyone says, the world isn't full of unicorns and sunshine, kids need to be able to learn to survive in the world that exists, not the one people thinks should exist where you'll never fight. Nothing does that better than a hockey fight. You see it all the time, two men can have a conflict and settle it with their fists, and have respect for each other while doing it. It's part of who we are as men, you cannot take that out of our DNA by banning hockey fights and limiting physical contact. George Carlin said it best, we are breeding generations of weak kids, and it's not making life easier for them. Sometimes you have to throw down.

When was the last time you were in a fight?

jughead42*

When was the last time you were in a fight?

I was in highschool about 25 years ago. Obviously as you get older you aren't put into as many situations that require it, but if I need to stick up for myself or someone I care about I'm still prepared to do it. It's more about developing the attitude that you won't be pushed around, and having the confidence to back that up physically even if you probably won't have to most of the time.

Snow Dog

Victorious
Jan 3, 2013
GTA
More often than not,the players that were fighting are laughing and joking about it after the game.What's even more common is the two that were fighting each other have no hard feelings for each other once the game has finished.

How many times have you seen fighters congraduating each other for a good fight.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Oh yeah? I don't recall him having concussion problems. The man can still talk very well and has a hot daughter.

His concussion history has absolutely nothing to do with whether having goons on his line dissuaded other players from targeting him. Spoiler alert: it didn't. The best players are always going to have a bullseye on their back regardless of if you have Floyd Mayweather, Mike Tyson, and several ex-gulag convicts on their line.

I'm glad his daughter gets you going. Something I needed to know.

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
Nothing does that better than a hockey fight. You see it all the time, two men can have a conflict and settle it with their fists, and have respect for each other while doing it.
its really interesting man

its the concept of letting people go at each other
fight a bit, then that's it

drama is done
cause now a days all people do is
talk

scream, talk
come fight... that's it move on

The Lollipop King

4th Line = all heart
Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Angus Reid Forum panelists? Sounds like a fancy way of saying 'we conducted an internet poll on Angus Reid's forum which isn't even hockey related'.

I feel people who are members of the Angus Reid forum are not your typical hockey fans as well haha

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Exactly. People will point to the enforcers he had with him, but the reason he never had much injury problems was because he knew how to keep his head up.
In that era you needed more than to just keep your head up. If a guy wanted to nail you he was going to do it behind the refs back no matter how aware you were of the situation. Gretzky during his Oilers days was basically a guy the NHL didn't allow you to hit.

hockeyfanz*

You just cannot go and abolish fighting. I honestly don't think it will ever happen. Stage fighting on the other hand, I can see that being more suspect to being eliminated. But a spirited bout that is justified, no way I see that ever leaving, and nor should it.

I agree with this..although it probably will eventually be abolished from the junior leagues IMO..but not at the pro level..they may institute penalties to discourage it and probably as you say eliminate staged fights but thats where it will stop.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Staged fights need to stop!

Any fight that occurs right after the drop of the puck, on a faceoff, are staged and should be banned!

A fight that occurs during the heat of action, when some frustration and emotion boils over, need to remain a part of hockey IMHO. The penalty for Instigating should be abolished and then there would be less of a need for the staged fights.

The players should be allowed to 'police' themselves and on occasion a fight to avenge a dirty hit, or other dirty play, needs to remain a part of hockey.

If you want more stick infractions, and even head hunting, then go ahead and ban fighting.

Fighting should be allowed in all competitive levels of hockey from Midget up to Pro. No fighting in any House League levels!
JMHO.

Last edited:

MakeTheIronSing

Oct 13, 2011
Edmonton
Staged fights need to stop!

Any fight that occurs right after the drop of the puck, on a faceoff, are staged and should be banned!

A fight that occurs during the heat of action, when some frustration and emotion boils over, need to remain a part of hockey IMHO. The penalty for Instigating should be abolished and then there would be less of a need for the staged fights.

The players should be allowed to 'police' themselves and on occasion a fight to avenge a dirty hit, or other dirty play, needs to remain a part of hockey.

If you want more stick infractions, and even head hunting, then go ahead and ban fighting.

Fighting should be allowed in all competitive levels of hockey from Midget up to Pro. No fighting in any House League levels!
JMHO.

There are arguably more injuries for retaliatory fights than there are for staged ones because anyone can be in a "heat of the moment" fight and have zero idea how to fight

Leave the fighting for people that actually know how, and there shouldn't be as big an issue.

Who are the people that in general, get injured in a fight? The people that don't know how to properly protect themselves in that situation. Its the same as a hit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad