Majority of Canadians Want Fighting Ban in all junior hockey

• Thread starter MapleLeafGardens*
  • Start date

hockeyfanz*

If a player gets ejected every time they fight, the rats will become more prominent than ever.

Why wouldn't you hack at the back of Crosby's legs to raise his ire and hopefully goad him into a fight, if it'll get him kicked out of the game?

Staged fights are stupid but allowing fighting (note: I'm not referring solely to goons) serves a purpose to deter cheapshots.

I'm sure Kaleta will have to face a Ranger the next time they play for nearly crippling Richards. And that's how it should be: accountability.

unique sport...big men flying around at high speeds dressed in armour yeilding composite sticks, throwing their bodies into you and smashing your face into the boards...yeah I think sometimes you just need to punch somebody in the face :laugh:

deuce457

Nov 28, 2010
seriously you dont know what a staged fight is???

2 guys line up at centre ice during their first shift of the game and drop the gloves. nothing transpired to cause the fight, they are just on the ice so they feel they need to fight.

i like a good fight when it is within the flow and natural course of the game. But a stage fight between 2 guys who play 3 minutes per game adds nothing to the game for me.

deuce457

Nov 28, 2010
If a player gets ejected every time they fight, the rats will become more prominent than ever.

Why wouldn't you hack at the back of Crosby's legs to raise his ire and hopefully goad him into a fight, if it'll get him kicked out of the game?

Staged fights are stupid but allowing fighting (note: I'm not referring solely to goons) serves a purpose to deter cheapshots.

I'm sure Kaleta will have to face a Ranger the next time they play for nearly crippling Richards. And that's how it should be: accountability.

in your scenario, Kaleta sticks crosby, derek engelland comes in sticks up for his player and engages kaleta, they fight. both engelland and kaleta are removed from the game. if kaleta doesnt fight, engelland would get 2 minutes for roughing because he just punched him in the face if kaleta doesnt want to engage and fight.

cujoflutie

in your scenario, Kaleta sticks crosby, derek engelland comes in sticks up for his player and engages kaleta, they fight. both engelland and kaleta are removed from the game. if kaleta doesnt fight, engelland would get 2 minutes for roughing because he just punched him in the face if kaleta doesnt want to engage and fight.

That's not correct though, there can be a single fighting major assessed if the other player does not fight.

Frankie

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site

2 guys line up at centre ice during their first shift of the game and drop the gloves. nothing transpired to cause the fight, they are just on the ice so they feel they need to fight.

i like a good fight when it is within the flow and natural course of the game. But a stage fight between 2 guys who play 3 minutes per game adds nothing to the game for me.
so a "staged" fight has to be at centre ice, and it has to be their first shift of the game?

pretty stupid definition.

and what's staged about that? is the fight not real?

basically what we're trying to do is dictate how angry two guys have to be before they're allowed to fight. incredibly stupid.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's

???

Why can't it be Crosby fighting Kaleta? There is more than one way to deal with a cheapshot artist and the majority of the time it happens during the same shift an incident occurs, between the two players who are involved.

It doesn't always have to be the goon sticking up for the superstar. Superstars fight semi-frequently. Benn and Thornton fought a few weeks ago. Yeah, let's just remove each team's top player from the entire game. That benefits the fans.

You institute a rule where players get thrown out of the game for fighting and rats get a carte blanche to resort to dirty tactics against superstars. How isn't this registering?

deuce457

Nov 28, 2010
???

Why can't it be Crosby fighting Kaleta? There is more than one way to deal with a cheapshot artist and the majority of the time it happens during the same shift an incident occurs, between the two players who are involved.

It doesn't always have to be the goon sticking up for the superstar. Superstars fight semi-frequently. Benn and Thornton fought a few weeks ago. Yeah, let's just remove each team's top player from the entire game. That benefits the fans.

You institute a rule where players get thrown out of the game for fighting and rats get a carte blanche to resort to dirty tactics against superstars. How isn't this registering?

because the rats never fight the enforcers anyways, there has been no deterrent for Kaleta, cooke etc even with fighting in the league. so why would taking fighting out of the league make a difference.

deuce457

Nov 28, 2010
so a "staged" fight has to be at centre ice, and it has to be their first shift of the game?

pretty stupid definition.

and what's staged about that? is the fight not real?

basically what we're trying to do is dictate how angry two guys have to be before they're allowed to fight. incredibly stupid.

I really hope you arent being serious.................. im sorry i wrote centre ice.

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
Interesting statistic for the Globe and Mail to bring out...anyone here remember answering that poll? I know I was not polled. I thought the Globe and Mail was supposed to be a "good" publication...:help:

Did you honestly expect the Globe to call every person in Canada? Some of the responses in this thread make me believe that some people don't understand sample sizes.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Did you honestly expect the Globe to call every person in Canada? Some of the responses in this thread make me believe that some people don't understand sample sizes.

Sample size I can agree on but did they attempt to make it unbiased? No. That is very apparent.

hockeyfanz*

because the rats never fight the enforcers anyways, there has been no deterrent for Kaleta, cooke etc even with fighting in the league. so why would taking fighting out of the league make a difference.

You are right..what a dumb argument. When was the last time you saw a "rat" fighting a behemoth goon? Answer. Never. Rats are seldom in that weight class if ever. If Cooke runs somebody's face into the glass on the Leafs. Fraser McLaren will be looking for Pittsburgh's behemoth sideshow to pummel...knowing full well Matt Cooke would never in his right mind fight with a guy 30 pounds heavier and known for his knockout punch. So how is carrying a goon deterring guys like Kaleta/Cooke etc.. again? And if it were a deterrent why do these rats exist? Its all BS to appease the blood thirsty fans. Just call it what it is.

The key to Matt Cooke would be a Darcy Tucker in his prime. You tell Tucker to go out and run Cooke's face into the boards or take his knees out. Now that is something I can see as a good strategy or deterrent.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
You are right..what a dumb argument. When was the last time you saw a "rat" fighting a behemoth goon? Answer. Never. Rats are seldom in that weight class if ever. If Cooke runs somebody's face into the glass on the Leafs. Fraser McLaren will be looking for Pittsburgh's behemoth sideshow to pummel...knowing full well Matt Cooke would never in his right mind fight with a guy 30 pounds heavier and known for his knockout punch. So how is carrying a goon deterring guys like Kaleta/Cooke etc.. again? And if it were a deterrent why do these rats exist? Its all BS to appease the blood thirsty fans. Just call it what it is.

The key to Matt Cooke would be a Darcy Tucker in his prime. You tell Tucker to go out and run Cooke's face into the boards or take his knees out. Now that is something I can see as a good strategy or deterrent.

Intentially injuring another player is never good strategy, but if some players(Matt Cooke) are going to live by the sword they should be prepared to die by the sword.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
This poll is garbage who cares what random Canadians think. Even hockey "fans" who don't play, spoonfed their opinions from fat journalists like MacKenzie or Shoalts who cares? Most Canadians just these kind of bandwagon fans.

Only somewhere between 600,000 - 1,500,000 Canadians play some kind of organized hockey so around 3-4% max of population, so throwing around national surveys that ask non-participants is bunk it would be like asking me my opinions on aspects of particle physics theory. If you don't play keep your ignorant opinion to yourself, the sport isn't for you, keep your fingers out of it.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's

Read my post again, why couldn't it be Crosby sticking up for himself?

Take "goons" out of it. Pretend designated fighters don't exist anymore.

If rats are allowed to run around and not have to answer for their cheapshots on opposing players, what's stopping them from not doing it? The only thing that would make them think twice is having to fight the person (or linemate of that person) as a consequence.

Again, since this seems like a hard concept for you to grasp, this has nothing to do with goons.

With an automatic misconduct for fighting, you would have more rats targeting opposing players to goad them into fights.

With an automatic misconduct for fighting, these players would have to think twice about picking up for themselves/their teammates.

Therefore, with an automatic misconduct for fighting, these targeted players/their teammates would be hesitant to pick up for themselves/their teammate, meaning the rats will get away with cheapshots more often.

Way too many Helen Lovejoys watching the NHL these days...

daner

Feb 18, 2009

Momentum of a game can swing in favour of a team whether it is a staged fight or not. Although you may not like staged fights, they can and do factor into teams winning and losing from time to time.

Another thing is sometimes these fights may seem staged, but there is often underlying reasons why the fight is happening in the first place. Like maybe a player was injured intentionally or a player committed a dirty play last time the two teams played. Do you approve of these fights?

Don't watch the next Rangers-Buffalo game. Somebody will stage fight Kaleta and if your wondering why, he hit Brad Richards from behind the last time they played and was instantly ejected leaving no Rangers to get their hands on him.

Last edited:

Frankie

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I really hope you arent being serious.................. im sorry i wrote centre ice.
i'm dead serious. your definition is stupid and makes no sense.

nobody can define what a "staged" fight is. its a meaningless term that the media have created. all the fights in hockey are real, as far as i can tell.

the level of anger that two players must have before being allowed to fight is something that can't be dictated.

daner

Feb 18, 2009
No one belives them or their staged propaganda.

I wish this was the truth but people are very gullible. The media controls the message.

Staged fighting is just the new flavour of the month ever since McClaren smoked that poor guy from Ottawa. Last week it was headshots, before that maybe suspension lengths, and before that is was probably contact with the goalies (Lucic-Miller).

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
I don't understand how every time "Canadians" vote on something, I'm never involved.

I imagine, they asked less than 100 people

cujoflutie

If the NHL is concerned about fighting, get rid of the rats/trolls

if they get rid of trolling, fighting will go down
but if they get rid of fighting, trolling goes up.

I'm no fan of the staged fight either but I'd take Orr and Mclaren over Lapierre and Kaleta and those are the types of guys to either occupy more spots or increase their garbage if fighting is barred.

leafspring*

Yeah for fighting whoo,whoo and the angus reid polls loving posters here i wouldn't touch hockey talking with them with a 10 foot poll.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->