Majority of Canadians Want Fighting Ban in all junior hockey

• Thread starter MapleLeafGardens*
  • Start date

MapleLeafGardens*

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/sports...-hockey-survey/article9496814/?service=mobile

This week, The Globe and Mail reported on the first part of the survey – a vast majority of Canadians want bodychecking out of peewee hockey – and today the results are in on the public attitude toward fighting:

Three-quarters of Canadians (78 per cent) – and an identical percentage of fans of the game – want to see fights banned in all junior hockey;

Two-thirds of Canadians – fans as well as the general public – believe fighting should also be banned at the professional level;

Only 16 per cent of the country favours allowing fights at the junior levels;

One-quarter of Canadians (27 per cent) oppose eliminating fights at the professional level, while 5 per cent aren’t sure what to do;

While 95 per cent of fans believe skating is an “essential component†of the game, and 93 per cent believe shooting is important, a minuscule 7 per cent say the ability to engage in on-ice fights is important.

In other words, hockey’s cartoon can go.

KingBuzzo

A custom title.
Nov 3, 2010
Toronto
You just cannot go and abolish fighting. I honestly don't think it will ever happen. Stage fighting on the other hand, I can see that being more suspect to being eliminated. But a spirited bout that is justified, no way I see that ever leaving, and nor should it.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
"Majority of Canadians" The online survey was conducted between Feb. 22 and 26. It involved 1,013 Canadian adults who are Angus Reid Forum panelists and an additional smaller sample of 502 self-described hockey fans

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
Just more bollocks by the liberal media interviewing hockey moms at rinks who don't want to see lil Johnny with a swollen eye.

This was all the talk in the nineties as well, once the Euro floodgate opened it seemed to go away for a bit.

Tough hockey has come roaring back. Fighting is a part of that. I for one welcome our new fistacuffs overloards.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Author Roy MacGregor has worked for the Ottawa Citizen and currently resides in Kanata ONT. Seems like someone is upset their boy got KO-ed.

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
What I don't get is these same "journalists" who go on about this aren't more for the end of dangerous checking like what we saw from that poor sod in the Swiss league last week.

Fights don't put guys in wheelchairs, reckless hitting does.

Goes to show how little they know about the game.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
"Majority of Canadians" The online survey was conducted between Feb. 22 and 26. It involved 1,013 Canadian adults who are Angus Reid Forum panelists and an additional smaller sample of 502 self-described hockey fans

Thanks. They could have just polled people coming out of the ACC or another NHL Arena but I'm guessing they wouldn't get the desired response.

I would bet dollars to donuts pseudo academics who wouldn't know the difference between Coulton and Robert Orr.

It doesn't seem like an accurate result.

TonsofPuppies*

Mar 11, 2010
Toronto, ON
Just more bollocks by the liberal media interviewing hockey moms at rinks who don't want to see lil Johnny with a swollen eye.

This was all the talk in the nineties as well, once the Euro floodgate opened it seemed to go away for a bit.

Tough hockey has come roaring back. Fighting is a part of that. I for one welcome our new fistacuffs overloards.

insect_overlords_2.gif

Leafs For Life*

Lol that percent of Canadians is under 0.01, but yes the majority. :shakehead definitely biased also, right after D.D got knocked out a hometown reporter does this.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
My coach always complains that the bodychecking is not introduced early enough, and when his kid turned 12 or whatever the age is now, it can as a shock to him, he already played for 5 years avoiding contact, and suddenly you are hit everywhere on ice. He says when they were kids and playing hockey, they had contact from young age and it's not harmful because when you barely have any weight, you can't harm the other kids. Yes there are those crazy *******s that fly up and down the ice headhunting, but those need to be thrown out of the game early on, so you don't cultivate this culture.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Angus Reid Forum panelists? Sounds like a fancy way of saying 'we conducted an internet poll on Angus Reid's forum which isn't even hockey related'.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Another lol poll. Though I suppose when you want to write from a particular point of view targeting your polling audience only makes sense.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Good pollsters now when to poll to get the results they are looking for. Poll everyone so you only get a segment of the hockey fan base to skew it in your favor, poll during the day when you mot likely have the most unemployed people to get the political party you want, poll after a tragedy for the populist sentiment to whatever your agenda is. There is no such thing as unbiased media these days.

I wonder what the results would be if they polled in hockey arena's and polled a 1,000 random fans.

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
Interesting statistic for the Globe and Mail to bring out...anyone here remember answering that poll? I know I was not polled. I thought the Globe and Mail was supposed to be a "good" publication...:help:

Grandrift145

Jan 23, 2009
Uptop
no one will be talking about this in a week or so

until Mcclearin fights someone again and doesn't knock the out

then everyone wil feel better

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Good pollsters now when to poll to get the results they are looking for. Poll everyone so you only get a segment of the hockey fan base to skew it in your favor, poll during the day when you mot likely have the most unemployed people to get the political party you want, poll after a tragedy for the populist sentiment to whatever your agenda is. There is no such thing as unbiased media these days.

I wonder what the results would be if they polled in hockey arena's and polled a 1,000 random fans.

Seems like the 'self proclaimed hockey fans' were in the minority anyways.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Seems like the 'self proclaimed hockey fans' were in the minority anyways.

I think the real question they should ask is.

Should hockey fans care what non hockey fans think? I know that soccer fans would not be interested in hearing my opinions on how to improve their game, I know I don't want to hear theirs on hockey.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

I hate it when people do this but in this case I'll make an exception:

/thread.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
What I don't get is these same "journalists" who go on about this aren't more for the end of dangerous checking like what we saw from that poor sod in the Swiss league last week.

Fights don't put guys in wheelchairs, reckless hitting does.

Goes to show how little they know about the game.

Or do they? Probert was diagnosed with chronic traumatic encephalopathy from repeated brain trauma. If he hadn't tragically died at 45, he'd be a vegetable by his 60s. Same with Derick Boogard.

Boxing and football are exceedingly violent by nature. It's sad to see a non-core area of our sport harm our athletes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->