Majority of Canadians Want Fighting Ban in all junior hockey

• Thread starter MapleLeafGardens*
  • Start date

cujoflutie

Let's remove fighting from the NHL and have the Kaleta's rule the roost:rant:

My sentiments exactly; in a perfect game, there would be no fighting. But the game is not perfect. Take out fighting and the Kaleta, Lapierre's, and Marchands take over the game. They need to find a way to get rid of rats first. Once there's no trolling, then look at cutting down fighting.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
There are arguably more injuries for retaliatory fights than there are for staged ones because anyone can be in a "heat of the moment" fight and have zero idea how to fight

Leave the fighting for people that actually know how, and there shouldn't be as big an issue.

Who are the people that in general, get injured in a fight? The people that don't know how to properly protect themselves in that situation. Its the same as a hit

So, what you are saying is that only staged fights, goon vs goon, should be allowed. Sorry, not the way it should be. If a player takes liberties with your star player, they should then have to answer the bell when an a teammate takes them on in retribution. If you can't handle the upcoming fight, then, don't do the cheap shot! That's how it works when the players 'police' themselves.

cujoflutie

While 95 per cent of fans believe skating is an “essential component†of the game, and 93 per cent believe shooting is important, a minuscule 7 per cent say the ability to engage in on-ice fights is important.

In other words, hockey’s cartoon can go.

So according to these 'valuable' opinions, 5 % believe skating is not an essential component and 7% say shooting is not important

next can we find out who should be the next premier of Ontario based on a poll of Koreans?

MakeTheIronSing

Oct 13, 2011
Edmonton
So, what you are saying is that only staged fights, goon vs goon, should be allowed. Sorry, not the way it should be. If a player takes liberties with your star player, they should then have to answer the bell when an a teammate takes them on in retribution. If you can't handle the upcoming fight, then, don't do the cheap shot! That's how it works when the players 'police' themselves.

Where did you read this in my post? Thats not what I said.

I said there are more injuries to people that don't know how to fight than there are injuries from people that do.

AvroArrow

The way she goes
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Majority of Canadians aren't the ones fighting in hockey leagues. People are becoming too soft and annoying with this. Fighting's been apart of the game forever and always should. It's not just senseless fighting, there's more behind it. Momentum, Pride, psychological edge, making a statement, standing up for your team and city. Besides players know the risk and go into fighting with the knowledge they might get injured. They're the ones volunteering to do so, if they're ok with it who are these outside voices to say they shouldn't ? If someone doesn't want to fight they wont, if they do they will. it's that simple

People want to completely change hockey. Taking fighting away completely ruins chances for people like colton orr, fraser mclaren and other fighters. It's gonna turn the game into figure skating with hockey sticks.

BarneyStinson

Jun 24, 2012
Markham
Seems like the media wants fighting gone more then the general public...why cant they just report news instead of creating stories that arent there.. 2013..media these days...

Blayzer

Jul 3, 2011
The original post was the stupidest thing I have ever heard. No basis behind it whatsoever.

If they remove fighting, I am removing myself as a fan.

Rivalries would die. You have to be able to settle the score like men to keep the integrity. Rather than turning it into pond hockey or hockey with a bunch of fake tough guys like basketball who will cheapshot, hit, trash talk without any reprocussion.

TobyWong

Jul 21, 2010
Amsterdam
I'm a big fan of fighting and I'm a big fan of hockey but I'd be happy if fighting was banned from hockey.

a) The fighting is terrible compared to any legitimate combat sport out there.
b) It dilutes the overall skill level of the league as we have guys like John Scott lacing up.
c) It's not a safe environment to fight in. There is a reason boxing/MMA/kickboxing/etc is not done on ice/concrete.

Leave the fighting to the fighters and the hockey to the hockey players.

Derrty

Cat
Apr 24, 2012
So when my star gets knee'd by an opposing player, what would you rather me do?

1.Square off and go toe to toe with the clown
2.Cheap shot him back when he's not suspecting it

Hockey is a violent sport and everyone who plays knows the risks involved. There's alot more opportunity for cheap hits which result in injury then any other sport. This is why fighting needs to be a part of the game. Otherwise you just have a bunch of riled up players looking for retribution in other forms.

cujoflutie

I'm a big fan of fighting and I'm a big fan of hockey but I'd be happy if fighting was banned from hockey.

a) The fighting is terrible compared to any legitimate combat sport out there.
b) It dilutes the overall skill level of the league as we have guys like John Scott lacing up.
c) It's not a safe environment to fight in. There is a reason boxing/MMA/kickboxing/etc is not done on ice/concrete.

Leave the fighting to the fighters and the hockey to the hockey players.

Hockey is unique in the sense that other than lacrosse, it is the only sport which allows fighting in which fighting is not the actual sport itself.

Kadri43*

Oct 1, 2010
noneofyourbusiness
I guarentee that fighting will be banned in hockey soon enough. We have a society that is obsessed with safety. We literally cannot do anything fun because it might hurt someone. It really is annoying.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
My sentiments exactly; in a perfect game, there would be no fighting. But the game is not perfect. Take out fighting and the Kaleta, Lapierre's, and Marchands take over the game. They need to find a way to get rid of rats first. Once there's no trolling, then look at cutting down fighting.

Great point.

As long as their are "pests" in the game, you need fighting to keep them honest.

Can't have them taking liberties without retribution. Especially in a league where the referees miss or misinterpret so much

seeweed

Mar 19, 2011
Toronto
my thoughts will always be the same...

get rid of the ever so stupid instigator rule! the more fighting, the better.

the rule is so stupid that even the referees don't know when to call it. they always call it when someone sticks up for an injured teammate and not after a big clean hit.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Where did you read this in my post? Thats not what I said.

I said there are more injuries to people that don't know how to fight than there are injuries from people that do.

I see your point however:

If you don't know how to fight, or can't, then, don't attract the attention of those who can! Also, don't cheap shot an opponent and not expect to be challenged to a fight.

You can also refuse to drop the gloves and turtle like a little coward!

Cheers.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
my thoughts will always be the same...

get rid of the ever so stupid instigator rule! the more fighting, the better.

the rule is so stupid that even the referees don't know when to call it. they always call it when someone sticks up for an injured teammate and not after a big clean hit.

The Instigator rule has to go! However, there is a time and place for a fight in hockey, but, fighting for the sake of fighting belongs in the MMA ring and not on the ice during a hockey game.

JMHO.

Snow Dog

Victorious
Jan 3, 2013
GTA
It's already started in kid's hockey.This past year there were around five suspensions of 8 games for minor fights on a juvenile team(18-20 year olds).

cujoflutie

You could easily make the argument that toughness is what is helping the leafs this year;

Remember last year when the habs were blowing us out and PK Subban was manhandling Phil Kessel with no leaf coming to his defense? What do you gander would happen if he tried that again this year?

Also Kadri went from not even being able to hold down a roster spot to being one of our 2 best players. Now you can attribute that to personal development but you could also argue that he has more room than he would have last year.

JohnZ622

Feb 9, 2013
NCAA, European, Olympics

NCAA, European, Olympic hockey doesn't have fighting and the players police themselves just fine.

daner

Feb 18, 2009
I guarentee of all those people polled many have never even been to a junior game or can't even name a half dozen junior teams. But anyways...

I like the rule in place now that limits the amount of fights an OHL player has per year. After they reach their limit if they fight again they are suspended. But getting rid of it entirely I don't like.

Last edited:

deuce457

Nov 28, 2010
Let's remove fighting from the NHL and have the Kaleta's rule the roost:rant:

This is and always will be the stupidest argument in all of sports.

If Patrick Kaleta sticks a Leaf player all that happens is Colton Orr fights John Scott, oh wow, that really taught Kaleta a lesson.

How many times has matt cooke been suspended ?? I am pretty sure its 4 times.

If the NHL properly suspended players you would get the Kaletas and Cookes out of the game. Matt Cooke should have lost 200 games to suspension, but he has only been suspended 4 times (i believe) by the nhl.

I like fighting when it comes from real anger and emotion, see Phaneuf and Ladd this week, or Iginla and Lecavalier in the playoffs.

But to see Orr and Scott fight on their first shift of the game, for no reason other then they are both on the ice at the same time is stupid.

If a player fights, both should be ejected from the game its simple.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
If a player gets ejected every time they fight, the rats will become more prominent than ever.

Why wouldn't you hack at the back of Crosby's legs to raise his ire and hopefully goad him into a fight, if it'll get him kicked out of the game?

Staged fights are stupid but allowing fighting (note: I'm not referring solely to goons) serves a purpose to deter cheapshots.

I'm sure Kaleta will have to face a Ranger the next time they play for nearly crippling Richards. And that's how it should be: accountability.

Frankie

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
i've never seen a good argument for getting rid of fighting.

the only argument for getting rid of it seems to be "i don't like it".

if you don't like it, don't watch. fighting really isn't a big issue in today's game.

i also don't get "staged" fights vs. "emotional" fights. what's the definition of a staged fight?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->