Speculation: Major move or moves coming in Boston?

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Given helle won't sign in winnipeg, and Boston seems to need to move a goalie, and doubt ullmark agrees to go to winnipeg, I'd bet swayman is heading to the jets.

Would be interesting to see if the bruins can fit in any jets coming back their way. Obviously pld is interesting but he costs more cap than sway.

I can't imagine that they are going to move Swayman before they move Ullmark. They'd get more for Swayman (I don't imagine that they'd get a whole ton for Ullmark right now based on their cap situation and the 16 team no trade), but he's the answer long term.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to trade the much younger, cheaper goalie when you are in a cap crunch. I doubt Swayman is going to get the Bruins enough more in a trade to warrant dealing him rather than just moving off Ullmark.

Not sure why everybody is trying to put Swayman into what they expect the Bruins to send back in offers.

Reactions: G Backup

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
5mm to resign Swayman and 5 forwards?

Hall and one of Forbort, Reilly or Grzelyck may be on the move in addition to Ullmark if they want to make a BIG move and sign serviceable depth players.
Gonna need more then 5 mil, Swayman will likely cost 3.5-4mil on his own. At minimum, if we really commit to cheap youth in depth roles, we'll need to move both Forbort and Reilly, along with one of Hall or Ullmark.

RiverbottomChuck

Jul 20, 2018
Washington DC
The “insane” part to me means it has to include PLD for futures or Mac for Drai, Matthews, some other clear cut Star 1C. Nothing else seems big enough to be labeled “insane” to me. Also knowing Boston media it could just mean Lucic is coming back.

I mean just to play at it... McAvoy doesn't have trade protection, yet.
I saw an article saying Sweeney said the only 2 untouchables are Pasta and Lindholm but idk if it was a direct quote or what.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Gonna need more then 5 mil, Swayman will likely cost 3.5-4mil on his own. At minimum, if we really commit to cheap youth in depth roles, we'll need to move both Forbort and Reilly, along with one of Hall or Ullmark.

They can do it buying out Forbort and Reilly and moving Gryz and Frederic and run back a worse version of last years team. Or…they can do some spicier stuff.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Sweeney's been willing to make big moves from the start.

Excited to see what he puts together this off season. Their backs are against the wall

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Don't the Bruins need confirmation from Bergeron and Krecji first on whether they retire or come back?

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
As a fan of chaos, I would love to see PLD to the Bruins. This board would be in shambles

Given that GUFFMAN predicted this weeks ago, be assured that my “I told you so” reign will be both terrible and horrifying to behold.

DRAGO 18

Jan 17, 2006
Pittsburgh
I could see Scheifle given their need for Centers and a bunch of cap going the other way given Winnipeg wants to reload rather than rebuild

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Don't the Bruins need confirmation from Bergeron and Krecji first on whether they retire or come back?

You’d think. It’s pretty damn crucial to their success considering they could offer them league minimum with some massive bonuses and have another run if they’d come back

KrugAvoy

Aug 11, 2017
Lowell
Bruins brass were really high on Lindholm and Hanifan before. I wouldn't be surprised if Boston tried to offer up a package for them

tTheVeganWoofMate

Adopt.Volunteer. Rescued is the best breed!
Mar 21, 2019
NJ
You’d think. It’s pretty damn crucial to their success considering they could offer them league minimum with some massive bonuses and have another run if they’d come back
By this you mean another first round exit right?
Thanks for 2011 and all but it’s time for both to be gone. Especially since they are now whiny manipulators who don’t like playing for a Stanley Cup winning coach and like being the de facto coaches because…”You don’t say no to a hall of famer.”

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
There's credible rumors both are done.

Krejci already tried to leave the team once but was convinced to come back for one last shot. He's definifely hanging them up for real now.

Bergeron is likely recovering from injury and in no rush to decide. I think given his injury history he decides to call it, but I could see him waiting to see what the team looks like then signing before camp for league minimum + bonuses if he thinks he's got another run left in the tank and wants to be captain for the 100th season of the team.

Sweeney's gotta operate like both are gone, and if either or both wants to come back they'll make it work.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
There's credible rumors both are done.

Krejci already tried to leave the team once but was convinced to come back for one last shot. He's definifely hanging them up for real now.

Bergeron is likely recovering from injury and in no rush to decide. I think given his injury history he decides to call it, but I could see him waiting to see what the team looks like then signing before camp for league minimum + bonuses if he thinks he's got another run left in the tank and wants to be captain for the 100th season of the team.

Sweeney's gotta operate like both are gone, and if either or both wants to come back they'll make it work.
If both are gone then how does Boston move forward? How do you even begin to replace a 1C and 2C at the same time with 5m in cap space, Is the expectation that the team takes a step back for 1-2 years or is contention still the goal?

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
If both are gone then how does Boston move forward? How do you even begin to replace a 1C and 2C at the same time with 5m in cap space, Is the expectation that the team takes a step back for 1-2 years or is contention still the goal?

It gets a lot easier next year with the 4.5 million penalty gone and the cap expected to go up. Sweeney has plenty of security so if they have to step back for a year or two his chair won’t get hot. So I’d guess they try to make moves this year but they won’t do anything dumb and overly shortsighted.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
They have a 2C with Zacha. He could even be a low end 1C given his chemistry with Pasta, although that's not a great option. But they only need to add one more center.

There are a couple guys potentially available like Lindholm or Scheifle that could work, but they'd have to deal from existing roster players so it will likely end up being a lateral move at best. Coyle can be the other top 6 center for this season and I think the team will still compete for a low playoff seed. Team will obviously take a step back but the defense and goaltending is good enough to keep them competitive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad