News and Blog Report: Main Training Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
2/3 of those games were with the woeful Oil. Kind of doubt he'd have played that many games under a competent organization. again, he's never played more than one season with any other team. Smarter orgs realize he is not what his pt totals indicate.

Solid pro? Proceeds to get waived by a team lacking surefire winger depth and clears waivers to the MINOR LEAGUES.
So you hate Sam Gagner for being Sam Gagner and having the game move passed him as if it was his choice? That's a weird take bro.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Did Gagner actually report to Bakersfield? I assumed the waiver move was a hopeful salary dump and he stayed in Edmonton. Thought he played well enough to make the roster.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I’ve been wanting to put RNH-Draisaitl together for awhile now to give us 2 legitimate scoring lines. Whoever Mcdavid plays with will automatically face the other teams best checkers which gives our 2nd line easier matchups.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I much prefer line experimentation in preseason and practice than in game.

I also really like the idea of splitting our two superstars to get a better 60 minutes.

So I really like both potential line ups from the last couple days. I hope one sticks through the majority of the season.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Considering he JUST had a baby too, this all just stinks.

For all we know the team is giving Sam some time to spend with his son. I mean we can carve it either way. If this was the hateful regime of K Lowe and MacT then I could think the worst of it. Holland isn't spiteful in my estimation.

In anycase how did Cave make this squad and Jurco/Russell are skating as extra forwards. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Damn that third line is awful. The whole bottomsix really.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Looks like our bottom 6 guys are going to be offensive black holes again

Take a look at how many goals Granlund, Archibald, and Chiasson (don’t expect him to match last year’s total) scored last season.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Does Sam even have to go down to play in Bakersfield? They could just let him stay in Edmonton for a couple of weeks longer no? It's not like he really needs to be down there taking a spot from a younger player anyway.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Does Sam even have to go down to play in Bakersfield? They could just let him stay in Edmonton for a couple of weeks longer no? It's not like he really needs to be down there taking a spot from a younger player anyway.
They can let him stay in Edmonton as long as they want. There is no requirement to demote a waived player. He could even be back on the roster.

Reactions: Aerrol

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Jurco's main foil has been injury trouble. Tight lipped on what it is, who knows, but this sucks.
Our entire bottomsix can't buy a goal.

We have about 4 production forwards in the whole lineup assuming Neal can get it done this season. Paper thin.

onetweasy

Oct 16, 2005
2/3 of those games were with the woeful Oil. Kind of doubt he'd have played that many games under a competent organization. again, he's never played more than one season with any other team. Smarter orgs realize he is not what his pt totals indicate.

Solid pro? Proceeds to get waived by a team lacking surefire winger depth and clears waivers to the MINOR LEAGUES.

Your opinion vs the actual facts is where your argument falls apart.

Also, I think you are confusing "solid pro" with first ballot HoF. Countless pros wash out of the league after good careers. Not everyone skates off the ice in their final game while the jersey is being raised to the roof.

But lets say we adjust the narrative based on your only point so far: Anyone who played on the Oilers from 2007 to 2019 sucked and is not a true NHL players because the team sucked which of course means all of the players sucked. I "kind of doubt" that any of these players would have played more than a handful of games with any other team in the league.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Looks like our bottom 6 guys are going to be offensive black holes again
That 4th line is on the high side for goalscoring, generally I don't think you should expect more than 30 goals out of your 4th line and based on Granlund and Chiasson's goal totals last season, you are already in excess of that marker. There are mitigating factors such as role where you might expect those two to score less, but then not accounting for Haas's production at all which should help bridge much of that gap.

I'll agree though that I'd expect much less than average 3rd line offense out of that Cave line.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
That 4th line is on the high side for goalscoring, generally I don't think you should expect more than 30 goals out of your 4th line and based on Granlund and Chiasson's goal totals last season, you are already in excess of that marker. There are mitigating factors such as role where you might expect those two to score less, but then not accounting for Haas's production at all which should help bridge much of that gap.

I'll agree though that I'd expect much less than average 3rd line offense out of that Cave line.

To put it into perspective the Oilers had 37 gals from all forwards not named McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH, Chiasson, Kassian and Caggiula last year. If they get 30 from their 4th line they make they playoffs easily if those frist three are healthy.

Reactions: Burnt Biscuits

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Considering he JUST had a baby too, this all just stinks.

The way Holland made it sound, Gagner wants a job with the organization after his playing career is up. This is part of his training. Referred to Dan Cleary with the Red Wings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad