News and Blog Report: Main Training Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The biggest difference between then and last year was goaltending, the breakout, and the PK.

You improve the breakout though and PK gets better since the D aren't so tired 5 on 5, the goaltending gets better without high danger chances, and secondary scoring goes up.

If we finish even middle of the pack in those 3 categories this year you may think back and say the above players got better or larsson figured it out, but it could amount to tippet.

The goaltending directly correlates to the D though I think.

Klefbom not being healthy in the 2 years since 16-17

Larsson going into some funk since the death of his father

Sekera tearing his achilles and then somehow tearing his ACL too in 14 months time

Basically were likely three giant tidal waves hitting the Oilers back end ... and like that Fukushima reactor, the Oilers D couldn't cope with it.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I understand, I just worry about a further downtick and possible lowered value.
I guess that's up to Holland to figure out. I just question what kind of value Larsson would have.

Like I just said about Sprong and ANA, Edmonton is in the same boat when it comes to d-men. Seems like it would be a red flag to me if I'm a GM and Edmonton is trying to unload him.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
He might have some attitude problems, but I think we can take that risk. We got enough boy scouts.
Depends what the issues really are. If he's lazy he'll be waived again rather quickly. I can't see Tippett having much patience for a guy that doesn't play the way he wants.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Depends what the issues really are. If he's lazy he'll be waived again rather quickly. I can't see Tippett having much patience for a guy that doesn't play the way he wants.

You lose basically nothing even if that's the case. 750k salary can be sent to Bakersfield with zero repercussion.

If he can lazy himself to 14 goals again, I'll take it, lol.

Reactions: NeverForget06

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
You lose basically nothing even if that's the case. 750k salary can be sent to Bakersfield with zero repercussion.

If he can lazy himself to 14 goals again, I'll take it, lol.
Oh for sure. Just seems odd, but then again they did hire Eakins...

PumpkinBombX

Jan 29, 2009
The goaltending directly correlates to the D though I think.

Klefbom not being healthy in the 2 years since 16-17

Larsson going into some funk since the death of his father

Sekera tearing his achilles and then somehow tearing his ACL too in 14 months time

Basically were likely three giant tidal waves hitting the Oilers back end ... and like that Fukushima reactor, the Oilers D couldn't cope with it.

I agree, but actually would go further to the team D argument. I don't think the D are as bad as people think. I think our breakout was so abysmal that it hurt everything. (But the D aren't off the hook for it either).

Also, Talbot was bad on low-danger chances that have nothing to do with the D.

One thing i noticed, watching was how the Oilers would give up when they get down by 1 or 2 goals. Especially they would defer to McDavid and Draisaitl, i think that was 100% on the coaches. I liked in the flames pre-season game when they didn't have McDavid in the lineup i saw certain players step up, like Kassian taking a ton of shots.

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
The biggest difference between then and last year was goaltending, the breakout, and the PK.

You improve the breakout though and PK gets better since the D aren't so tired 5 on 5, the goaltending gets better without high danger chances, and secondary scoring goes up.

If we finish even middle of the pack in those 3 categories this year you may think back and say the above players got better or larsson figured it out, but it could amount to tippet.

I agree. I think this is very astute. We tend to see things in the moment, but don't think about how one shift affects the next shift, how constant neutral zone turnovers can tire the defence, and make them not trust the forwards.

If the Oilers forwards can buy in to playing 200 feet all the time, playing for each other, that will be the biggest difference.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
I haven't technically seen Sprong chop wood nor carry water. Something to think about.

If a man chops wood and carries water in the woods, but no one is around to hear it, does Dallas Eakins still get rid of the donut table?

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009

Have fun with that, RNH. :laugh:

I think Drai has it worse lol.

I like the idea of splitting up the big 3 centers. I think the Oilers will have to run the system of having cheap wingers with our All Star centers and hope they have chemistry for the sake of having depth scoring

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
They're only running 3 centers because Sheahan might not be available to play for the season opener because of concussion protocol. People need to chillax.

Snowpants

In Depth Hockey Analyst
Apr 20, 2019
I think Drai has it worse lol.

I like the idea of splitting up the big 3 centers. I think the Oilers will have to run the system of having cheap wingers with our All Star centers and hope they have chemistry for the sake of having depth scoring

Yes Drai has it worse but Sprong fixes that he is a talented scorer if that is who they claim

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
Seems like seasons over without playing a single game. If it works thats great if not then Drai and McDavid will be back together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad