News and Blog Report: Main Training Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
IIRC the team was in the playoffs at Xmas last year (or within a point) Injuries came and we won 6 in 26 or something like that...then finished strong.

The team IS better this year than last. We haven't even played 1 second yet. Lets see what these new guys can do. A lot of NHL teams rely on young guys, we're no different. Who says that Nygard and Jurco won't do well?

They picked up a little momentum but were below .500 most of the season and couldn't string together multiple wins. I hope they do well, but remain pessimistically optimistic.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Seems like seasons over without playing a single game. If it works thats great if not then Drai and McDavid will be back together.
There is also Gagner who would look good in middle 6. He got waived hoping we get rid of the contract but he will be in on opening night if unclaimed.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada

Have fun with that, RNH. :laugh:

Tippet in first interview: Gotta keep Drai and McDavid together and let them play offense 24/7.

*Proceeds to cut tons of young kids and a few vets that can play center. Shattering many Oil fans dreams of skating 6 rookies this year despite the community being very happy knowing they have a GM and coach with a reputation for letting prospects spend extra time in the minors*

I've been traveling in Shanghai past 3 days so I really don't know what's going on. Gotta hear some interviews.

Jurco McDavid Neal ---> If Neal and Jurco can their their pants up for a full season that's probably more than enough skill for McDavid to flirt with 120 points.

Nygard Draisaitl Kassian ---> This line skates very well. Kassian makes things interesting, but I'm sure we'll need to see the results to be convinced that the results will be there.

Granlund RNH Chiasson --- > I really don't think it's as bad as it would have looked last year with Hopkins playing 3rd line center. I Really think it comes down to the fact that we don't have a good enough player to play 3rd line center. If your 3rd line center is junk how can you put 3, let alone four lines out there? At least this line has experience and more offensive upside than last year's 3rd line.

Khaira Sheahan Archibald ---> Really don't know what to make of this line. Could see them get really limited minutes. All depends on what version of Khaira we see this year. He could yet steal that 3rd line spot from Granlund.

Funny how we started the pre-season with Hopkins and Neal assuming they'd be playing together on the 2nd line and in the end Neal, who was hyped as being McDavid's new winger, ends up with McDavid with 1 pre-season game left.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Ironically, he was the only one paying attention.

Yep, Eakins looks like he's at the end of his rope with those guys. If you slow that down you might learn something about systems. Looks like he's trying to get them playing the left wing lock IMO.

Reactions: McFuhryous

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Yep, Eakins looks like he's at the end of his rope with those guys. If you slow that down you might learn something about systems. Looks like he's trying to get them playing the left wing lock IMO.

I think that's why the team looked like a real life version of "Blades of Steel". Everyone was usually skating around in random directions with no purpose.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton

Dallas Eakins remains to this day the most ridiculous excuse of a coach I've ever seen in almost 5 decades of hockey.
I guess I'll find out soon enough if anything has changed.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I think Drai has it worse lol.

I like the idea of splitting up the big 3 centers. I think the Oilers will have to run the system of having cheap wingers with our All Star centers and hope they have chemistry for the sake of having depth scoring
I think it's smart. You can always double shift them together late in a game if you need a goal. Tipp expects a lot out of his centers defensively, and he's not a guy that believes in learning on the job. McDavid, Drai, Nuge, and Sheahan will be fine, and spots on wing are easier to fill. He'll run the line blender and try to find some chemistry.

subnet

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Nov 6, 2005
PacNW
Let’s compare to last year. We had Mr, Black hole Lucic on a line. and maybe with Pool Party. With these two, we talking about basically zero offense. Oh yeah, combine that stellar duo with Rieder and it’s definitely zero offense.

What
A
Waste

At least I have SOME hope we don’t have the ‘anti-line’. Or the ‘waste of space’ line. Or the ‘we’ll never score line’.

The loss of Lucic and Rieder and Puljijarvi makes this a better team immediately.

Debbie Mathers

Jul 5, 2018
Right - so we have assigned Lagesson to Bakersfield and put Gagner and Manning on waivers.

That brings our group to 26 bodies. Minus Brodziak, who is officially on IR. Day will be assigned to Bakersfield when he is healthy. So basically 24 players.

As soon as the waiver process is completed for Gagner/Manning (either way), the official Oilers roster will feature 21 players. We then have space to assign two players to that official roster - but there are three candidates in Bear, Haas and P Russell. Don't we have to put either Sheahan or Persson on IR to have enough roster spots? Or have we already done that, but it just doesn't show on CapFriendly? Or can we just have P Russell or Haas hang around the main roster without being assigned to either Bakersfield or the main roster?

Thanks to anyone who cares to enlighten me.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Right - so we have assigned Lagesson to Bakersfield and put Gagner and Manning on waivers.

That brings our group to 26 bodies. Minus Brodziak, who is officially on IR. Day will be assigned to Bakersfield when he is healthy. So basically 24 players.

As soon as the waiver process is completed for Gagner/Manning (either way), the official Oilers roster will feature 21 players. We then have space to assign two players to that official roster - but there are three candidates in Bear, Haas and P Russell. Don't we have to put either Sheahan or Persson on IR to have enough roster spots? Or have we already done that, but it just doesn't show on CapFriendly? Or can we just have P Russell or Haas hang around the main roster without being assigned to either Bakersfield or the main roster?

Thanks to anyone who cares to enlighten me.
You can have 23 payers on your roster. Guys on LTIR or regular IR don’t count.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I lol’ed at him trying to implement a full system in a 2 minute time out.

You do that stuff in training camp, practice, or during the intermission, not in the middle of a period where half the bench isn’t even paying attention and you’re trying to rush concept explanations in a short period of time.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I lol’ed at him trying to implement a full system in a 2 minute time out.

You do that stuff in training camp, practice, or during the intermission, not in the middle of a period where half the bench isn’t even paying attention and you’re trying to rush concept explanations in a short period of time.
He was only doing it because it was late in a nationally televised game in Toronto. He knew the cameras would be on him.

I got this gif from the same game when he got off the bench during another timeout:

gAiFQ3X.gif

Last edited:

Debbie Mathers

Jul 5, 2018
You can have 23 payers on your roster. Guys on LTIR or regular IR don’t count.
I know. That was the point of my question. If we add Haas, Bear and P Russell to the Oilers roster without sending either Persson or Sheahan on IR, we'd have a 24-man-roster...

Suppose you could just assign Persson to Bakersfield until he is ready for action as he is waivers exempt...

But still, as soon as Sheahan and Persson are back, we still have to get rid of one player, one way or another.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
800 game played in the NHL
158 goals
446 points.

Gag's was a solid pro, solid person and he did have 8 points in one night but yeah tell us more about his Div 5 skating and hockey sense.

Your post is embarrassing.

2/3 of those games were with the woeful Oil. Kind of doubt he'd have played that many games under a competent organization. again, he's never played more than one season with any other team. Smarter orgs realize he is not what his pt totals indicate.

Solid pro? Proceeds to get waived by a team lacking surefire winger depth and clears waivers to the MINOR LEAGUES.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad