News and Blog Report: Main Training Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
They can let him stay in Edmonton as long as they want. There is no requirement to demote a waived player. He could even be back on the roster.

Yeah thought so. They should just let him stay up here then. There's nothing he's going to gain from playing in the AHL.

Let the guy chill with his family and spend time with his daughter.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
its ludicrous to look at that AHL level winger core , and not see Sam Fn Gagner there. He has more points then the rest of that Winger core put together other then Neal.

In fact the AHL team in Bakersfield has better wingers top to bottom.

go check out the Canucks Wingers. Makes ours look like we are from the ECHL

cmon Edmonton. Really ? speed means nothing if you have hands of stone and your hockey IQ is lacking.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
They can let him stay in Edmonton as long as they want. There is no requirement to demote a waived player. He could even be back on the roster.
I don't think this is true anymore. Could've sworn that teams use to do it all the time and then last year or the year before they made it that a guy had to physically get onto a plane and go down.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
its ludicrous to look at that AHL level winger core , and not see Sam Fn Gagner there. He has more points then the rest of that Winger core put together other then Neal.

In fact the AHL team in Bakersfield has better wingers top to bottom.

go check out the Canucks Wingers. Makes ours look like we are from the ECHL

cmon Edmonton. Really ?

It's basically between him and Granlund I think and Granlund kills penalties and it comes down to that.

If Sam could play center still, maybe he'd stick.

Nygard is not coming out because the team needs speed.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
It's basically between him and Granlund I think and Granlund kills penalties and it comes down to that.

If Sam could play center still, maybe he'd stick.

Nygard is not coming out because the team needs speed.

It will be a treat watching Nygaard skate the puck into the goalies pads on easy setups.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
So you hate Sam Gagner for being Sam Gagner and having the game move passed him as if it was his choice? That's a weird take bro.

No i don't "hate" him. I just don't appreciate him as an NHL player. That's ok isn't it? And i don't think the game "passed him by" more than he probably never really belonged up in the NHL.... at least as a regular. Like i said i think he was a regular for a long stretch here because the oilers management are incompetent and he was a flashy "big name" high draft prospect that they wanted to force into the lineup and force him to succeed. Heck I wanted him to succeed but year in year out in his time here he showed me not very much other than he could get a few sneaky points here and there. He was not any kind of a positive difference maker. I saw him as a net negative because he just gave up more than he gave you. That's how you perpetuate losing teams.... incompetent management who value these players based on how many points they can get you rather than if they are actually a net postive. I'm sure he's a good guy and maybe a decent pro but imo the talent is not there for the NHL.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I agree that all the niggling injuries in camp so far is a little worrying.

I know injuries are pretty random... but early on it seems like it could be a year that's a little higher than average for man games lost.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Your opinion vs the actual facts is where your argument falls apart.

Also, I think you are confusing "solid pro" with first ballot HoF. Countless pros wash out of the league after good careers. Not everyone skates off the ice in their final game while the jersey is being raised to the roof.

But lets say we adjust the narrative based on your only point so far: Anyone who played on the Oilers from 2007 to 2019 sucked and is not a true NHL players because the team sucked which of course means all of the players sucked. I "kind of doubt" that any of these players would have played more than a handful of games with any other team in the league.

Sorry, maybe he is a solid pro. But imo not an NHL pro. Like i said, I think he only was a consistent pro here early in his career because of incompetent management (see my reply to Jimmi Mcjenkins just before this reply).

Your last paragraph is a complete hyperbole. I never said ALL the players on those rosters were of that ilk.

I saw it time and time again where games were on the line that guys like Gags would lose battles and just be flat out inferior to even guys with lesser points and of supposed lesser pedigree.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
There's still a pretty good chance I think that Holland is going to have to make a trade for a top 6 winger in-season.

At least the bonus for that is I think prices are cheaper in season and the Oilers cap cushion increases as the seasons goes on.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Im not against increasing team speed. Infact the Oilers up front this year may be one of the fastest teams top to bottom. I am just against our incredible ability to find players who lack hockey intelligence. I am hoping this isn't the case this year.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
Gonna close this now as training camp is over, and we are well over 1000. You can continue in one of the other threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->