Magnus Nygren should be at Habs training camp

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Originally Posted by crazyd View Post
And there is nothing wrong about that.

I would trade Nygren's arse simply because he bailed out of HAM.

The NHL is not a place to test out a player. IF you play in the NHL it's because you have shown your worth on NA ice. Nygren has not done that yet.
I totally agree. I think Bergevins thought is that if he doesn't make the Habs, which is very likely, he needs to go back to Hamilton as that's the way to the Habs. If not he'll trade him. You cannot have the inmates run the prison!

So Washington should have traded Kutznetsov because he wanted to develop in the KHL instead of the AHL before coming to the Capitals?????

It's asking a lot to ask a young person who isn't sure they're going to make the NHL and who could suffer a career threatening injury (see Esposito, Angelo) to leave opportunities that will net them millions of dollars to play in Hamilton.

I don't like it as a blanket rule, if that's what Bergevin has in mind. I have no problem if Bergevin's message to prospects, when he says the road to Montreal is through Hamilton, is: 'Don't expect to make the big leagues right away. Have patience. Develop your game. When you're ready, when you earn your spot, you'll play in Montreal.' But if he's making this blanket statement that in all cases you can't play in a European league before you come to the NHL instead of Hamilton, I don't think that's a good policy.

Ice Poutine

LA POUTINE IS BACK!
Feb 18, 2006
ON MY CHAIR
...If he can't be happy in an area like that we should call him Princess Nygren and ship him off to Walt Disney World to continue the next stage of his career.

Funny you should describe like that cause the Habs sent a picture of him to the press yesterday...

Qkddm1A.jpg

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
So Washington should have traded Kutznetsov because he wanted to develop in the KHL instead of the AHL before coming to the Capitals?????

It's asking a lot to ask a young person who isn't sure they're going to make the NHL and who could suffer a career threatening injury (see Esposito, Angelo) to leave opportunities that will net them millions of dollars to play in Hamilton.

I don't like it as a blanket rule, if that's what Bergevin has in mind. I have no problem if Bergevin's message to prospects, when he says the road to Montreal is through Hamilton, is: 'Don't expect to make the big leagues right away. Have patience. Develop your game. When you're ready, when you earn your spot, you'll play in Montreal.' But if he's making this blanket statement that in all cases you can't play in a European league before you come to the NHL instead of Hamilton, I don't think that's a good policy.

Kuznetsov didn't come to NA to play and then abandon his team and club mid season because he didn't like the city he was in. That's a major faux pas and shows a major character flaw. Is he going to quit on his team if the going gets tough or if he's not happy? How do the guys who stick around and keep playing in the exact sake position feel about him leaving and how would they take it if he got promoted before they did?

People use examples like yours or Emelin's but they're not the same. Radulov would be a better example and even he didn't leave mid season and look where he is now.

Nygren isn't so talented that he can subvert club rules and expect to still be part of a tight group of players the Habs are trying to put together. He wasn't even the best player on a Bulldogs team.

Funny you should describe like that cause the Habs sent a picture of him to the press yesterday...

Qkddm1A.jpg

Awesome Hahahahahaha. That's a wicked picture!

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
I totally agree. I think Bergevins thought is that if he doesn't make the Habs, which is very likely, he needs to go back to Hamilton as that's the way to the Habs. If not he'll trade him. You cannot have the inmates run the prison!

Have you ever been to Hamilton before? It's not a sess pool of a city. It has it's bad neighbourhoods as do ALL major cities but is also has some of the nicest and richest areas in the county as well a long with beautiful conservation areas surrounding it. The Niagars escapement which runs through Hamikton is a World Biosphere Reserve. If he can't be happy in an area like that we should call him Princess Nygren and ship him off to Walt Disney World to continue the next stage of his career.

Besides, if he hates Hamilton that much, there's one sure fire way to get out. Play your way into the NHL. If you can't do that, you shouldn't be part of the organization to begin with.

Hamilton is a sesspool

/thread

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Nygren has to be there. Whether it's for us. Or whether it's for the other teams to see that he's in NA or might even come and see him practice....Though they all already know him...but just to be sure where he's at.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
If Nygren wants to make it, he needs to go back to Hamilton. The Habs that went through the Bulldogs won't accept a guy who cut and run on the team.

TheGoalJudge

Feb 12, 2007
It's about options. If the guy has the option to play at home for more money then he will. It's common sense.

If any of the past AHL guys had that option they would probably take it as well. You guys act like everyone that went through Hamilton was happy to be there and wear it like a badge of honour. They probably all hated it but had no choice. Nygren has a choice. Emelin had a choice.

All I care about is whether he helps the team. That's probably all anyone around the Habs cares about.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Emelin refused to go through Hamilton, worked out. :dunno:

It's about options. If the guy has the option to play at home for more money then he will. It's common sense.

If any of the past AHL guys had that option they would probably take it as well. You guys act like everyone that went through Hamilton was happy to be there and wear it like a badge of honour. They probably all hated it but had no choice. Nygren has a choice. Emelin had a choice.

All I care about is whether he helps the team. That's probably all anyone around the Habs cares about.

...bingo...:handclap:

Emelin stayed in the KHL, a professional league making millions of dollars and never COMMITTED to playing in the AHL. Huge difference. Nygren came, saw and then went AWOL. If he wanted to stay home then he should have stayed. No one would have blamed him for that even though his stock would have fallen though not as much as it has now.

If you can't see the difference then your willfully trying not to.

It's like a guy who never commits to a girl and ends up with another one vs a guy who gets marries and then leaves her because she wasn't pretty enough after second thought.

Haaabs

Jul 16, 2010
Montreal
I've spent a few weeks in Hamilton on separate occasions because of work... It's not the nicest city but it's not the worst either.

Besides, any prospect that can play in a men's league and develop there is probably for the best. This is what I feel the current situation is because of the coaching staff in Hamilton. Every Hamilton game I've watched has left me scratching my head. I wish they kept track of TOI stats.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
What do you think we are? Scouts, we go around traveling to watch our various prospects, and then report back here with our divine information from watching him play "a lot".

There are two peoples on this board who maybe have seen him play "A Lot"

1. Someone who lives in Hamilton and really enjoys AHL hockey.

2. Someone who lives in Sweden and really enjoys swedish elite league hockey.

Other than that most people here will read stats, watch highlight reals, and maybe the hardcores will stream a game here and there if they can. Have you seen him play a lot? Is this a fair answer to your question?

That´s why I ask the question. Because some here are ready to give him a pass directly to the NHL ´because he burned a men's league'. Guess what, the league he supposedly burned is way inferior to the NHL and if I base it on the AHL All Star game not even of the AHL level. The guy's gotta prove his worth first THEN get a job in the best league in the world.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
The ideal situation would be for Nygren to at least be open to the possibility of giving the AHL another try. As it is, he's basically painted himself in a corner, which the organization understandably has to be irked about . There's an argument to be made that at his age (24 I believe) , with close to 200 games played as a professional in the SHL the whole AHl experience is essentially pointless. I get that. But NHL teams can be incredibly old school/conservative and the prevalent notion is still that a rookie/unproven guy has to have the '' I'm just glad for the opportunity'' attitude. Now I'm not justifying what he's done last season, coming and then leaving sends the worst message possible to the guys you're trying to impress. But I hope that cooler heads do prevail and that he gets the opportunity to at the very least show what he's got at the training camp. If he looks the same as he did at last year's camp and the other kids fighting for a spot are clearly out performing him then by all means try to get something for him while you can. I'm just hoping for an open minded approach by everybody involve.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
The way I see it there will be a huge battle in training camp for the spots on D.

I think Nygren impresses but goes back to Sweden for at least one more year... too many bodies right now.

I also think they'll assign Tinordi back down. He's the type of D that would benefit from extra development in the AHL. He can captain the team and work on his speed/offensive game. He'll be better off from it and would make the Habs in 2015-16.

That would leave us with:

Markov/Subban
Beaulieu/Gorges
Emelin/Pateryn

Habs could sign a Weaver-type as #7 or maybe use Drewiske. Or maybe Bergevin goes all-out and keeps Nygren as the #7, switching in-and-out with Pateryn.

I just can't see us going with 5 left handed Ds that is why I think Tinner starts in Hamilton.

Should have brought back Weaver, he'd make a solid partner for Beaulieu and could rotate in and out with Pateryn as well.

I think Beau will have a great season around 75 GP, 30 pts and just solid work all-around yes, even defensively.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
2015-16 I see either Gorges or Emelin moving as a cap dump OR one of the kids is dealt in a package for a star player at the deadline.

Either way it leaves us with a very solid top-7 going forward.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
The way I see it there will be a huge battle in training camp for the spots on D.

I think Nygren impresses but goes back to Sweden for at least one more year... too many bodies right now.

I also think they'll assign Tinordi back down. He's the type of D that would benefit from extra development in the AHL. He can captain the team and work on his speed/offensive game. He'll be better off from it and would make the Habs in 2015-16.

That would leave us with:

Markov/Subban
Beaulieu/Gorges
Emelin/Pateryn

Habs could sign a Weaver-type as #7 or maybe use Drewiske. Or maybe Bergevin goes all-out and keeps Nygren as the #7, switching in-and-out with Pateryn.

I just can't see us going with 5 left handed Ds that is why I think Tinner starts in Hamilton.

Should have brought back Weaver, he'd make a solid partner for Beaulieu and could rotate in and out with Pateryn as well.

I think Beau will have a great season around 75 GP, 30 pts and just solid work all-around yes, even defensively.

great post.

I agree: Tinordi could benefit from another year in Hamilton, Nygren may be ready in 2015-16, and Beaulieu is ready now. I'm not sure Pateryn is ready. But I'd like to give him a shot. Some things you can't learn in the AHL; you have to learn on the job in the NHL.

Since Bergevin likes Depth on defence, we will definitely be signing 2 more experienced NHL D men in addition to the top six you posted:

Markov/Subban
Beaulieu/Gorges
Emelin/Pateryn

It could be Weaver and Bouillon, but there will be at least 2 more. Judging by the draft, and the fact that Weaver isn't yet signed, Bergevin wants 2 big dmen. Maybe he'll go for Ehrhoff.

Whoever the 2 are, Pateryn and Beaulieu will have to beat them out over the season for playing time.

Feb 20, 2012
Calgary
great post.

I agree: Tinordi could benefit from another year in Hamilton, Nygren may be ready in 2015-16, and Beaulieu is ready now. I'm not sure Pateryn is ready. But I'd like to give him a shot. Some things you can't learn in the AHL; you have to learn on the job in the NHL.

Since Bergevin likes Depth on defence, we will definitely be signing 2 more experienced NHL D men in addition to the top six you posted:

Markov/Subban
Beaulieu/Gorges
Emelin/Pateryn

It could be Weaver and Bouillon, but there will be at least 2 more. Judging by the draft, and the fact that Weaver isn't yet signed, Bergevin wants 2 big dmen. Maybe he'll go for Ehrhoff.

Whoever the 2 are, Pateryn and Beaulieu will have to beat them out over the season for playing time.

Our media should have built this guy up as the second coming of Lidstrom. Then we could have traded him to Detroit for Jurco.

LowBallFern

Mar 5, 2010
He has untapped potential that is far superior to Pateryn.

I don't get the obsessive need to trade him. Just keep both.

Patterin is a stay home D that I would pair off with Beraulieu in the rooky camp!
I would also pair off Tinordi with the flamboyant Nygren.
Dietz with Bennet and finally
Thrower With Ellis and so on.....

At the end of the camp, we should have a good idea what will happened with future trades and signing... my 2 cents

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
You mentioned something in another thread about sounding like an absolutist. This is pretty much on course with that.

He didn't do it exactly the way I like and I think is right and me, me, me, so he quit.

That's a really binary point of view. It's really hard to have a conversation with somebody who is unwilling to see grey. It's black or white or it doesn't exist, right?

I think its OK for a person to have a set of beliefs like I do. It may not be agreeable to some but it is what I believe.

Same for Nygren. Its OK if he thought Hamilton was so much of a **** hole and his teammates were extremely irresponsible for talking about going to bars to meet girls that he wanted to head home to Sweden.

And its OK if Nygren wanted to develop his game in Sweden like Emelin did in Russia.

The issue is that he bailed on his commitment.

I prefer to have a player that is willing to do anything to play for the Habs. That type of desire typically leads to a higher level of effort. Look at Vanek, for example.

Personally I like Southern Hab. He sends an invitation like the one he did there, he get's a response like the one you did there, and off come the gloves. It's a good time, I'm being sincere.

Thanks man. I like you too. And I appreciate your sincerity. You should sign up to be Nygren's agent. It would help.

No gloves coming off. Just a difference of opinion.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Hamilton is a sesspool

/thread

Is that like telling a girl "Your eyes are like cesspools in the moonlight".

If Nygren wants to make it, he needs to go back to Hamilton. The Habs that went through the Bulldogs won't accept a guy who cut and run on the team.

Poor Nygren!:laugh:

Very articulate. You should organize a strike of all the players to leave the bulldogs and join Nygren in his protest against the inhuman working conditions.

Articulate like broken Legs!:laugh::sarcasm:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Have you ever been to Hamilton before? It's not a sess pool of a city. It has it's bad neighbourhoods as do ALL major cities but is also has some of the nicest and richest areas in the county as well a long with beautiful conservation areas surrounding it. The Niagars escapement which runs through Hamikton is a World Biosphere Reserve. If he can't be happy in an area like that we should call him Princess Nygren and ship him off to Walt Disney World to continue the next stage of his career.

Besides, if he hates Hamilton that much, there's one sure fire way to get out. Play your way into the NHL. If you can't do that, you shouldn't be part of the organization to begin with.

No, but it does have highest violent crime rate in Ontario. Lefebrve isn't the greatest coach ever known in the AHL. Nygren should have stayed...he'd likely be in NHL now. But he didn't, do you give him a second chance or let him finish his career in Sweden?

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
No, but it does have highest violent crime rate in Ontario. Lefebrve isn't the greatest coach ever known in the AHL. Nygren should have stayed...he'd likely be in NHL now. But he didn't, do you give him a second chance or let him finish his career in Sweden?

Nygren has #2 dman potential in the NHL. If it's not with us it will be with someone else. He's not going to be a SHL guy his entire career.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Emelin stayed in the KHL, a professional league making millions of dollars and never COMMITTED to playing in the AHL. Huge difference. Nygren came, saw and then went AWOL. If he wanted to stay home then he should have stayed. No one would have blamed him for that even though his stock would have fallen though not as much as it has now.

If you can't see the difference then your willfully trying not to.

It's like a guy who never commits to a girl and ends up with another one vs a guy who gets marries and then leaves her because she wasn't pretty enough after second thought.

Or a guy who files for divorce because she was nothing like he thought she was before committing.

This is a league where teams line up with money to sign prospects who don't want to sign with the teams that drafted them with 0 games of pro experience. If Habs are insulted by his unwillingness to play in the AHL and he truly does have interest around the NHL, he'll probably play out the contract in Sweden and go sign somewhere that'll be okay with his no-AHL as UFA Euro players seem to do every offseason. Frankly, the only loser here will be MTL unless a team ignores Habs desperation to get something for him.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad