Magnus Nygren should be at Habs training camp

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Thats what pisses me off the most about this whole situation: the kid's very ****ing good, it'd be a shame to let him go at this point. If he shows up and plays a good camp, habs should give him a pass to the roster and let him show what he can do on an NHL powerplay.

Since 2009, he is a cumulative -23.

The kid needs to realize that he is a Defenseman as well as a kid with a great shot on the PP.

Sure he was a -9 in Hamilton playing 16 games (8 points). Its Hamilton with all its crime and Hamilton sucks, right?

Greg Pateryn was a +4 in 68 games while scoring 34 points.

Magnus Nygren can stay in Sweden or Bergevin can trade him away.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Man why is it such a big deal that he doesn't want to play in Hamilton ?

Emelin stayed in the KHL until he was assured to have a spot in the top 4 in MTL.

I can understand why Nygren is doing the same.

As others have said, if we trade him we will have wasted a very talented young D-man.

Not accurate. Emelin was a healthy scratch quite a few times in his rookie year on a team that was the worst in the conference.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
Not accurate. Emelin was a healthy scratch quite a few times in his rookie year on a team that was the worst in the conference.

Ok maybe not a top 4 spot but a spot on the roster. As in not going to Hamilton.

I understand paying your dues in the AHL but when you are one of the best D-men in the SEL you can afford to skip the bus rides and cold pizza.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
Since 2009, he is a cumulative -23.

The kid needs to realize that he is a Defenseman as well as a kid with a great shot on the PP.

Sure he was a -9 in Hamilton playing 16 games (8 points). Its Hamilton with all its crime and Hamilton sucks, right?

Greg Pateryn was a +4 in 68 games while scoring 34 points.

Magnus Nygren can stay in Sweden or Bergevin can trade him away.

He has untapped potential that is far superior to Pateryn.

I don't get the obsessive need to trade him. Just keep both.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
He has untapped potential that is far superior to Pateryn.

I don't get the obsessive need to trade him. Just keep both.

Offense? You are probably correct.

Defense? Not even close.

I would rather Beaulieu play the role of PMD along with Subban than to bestow that honor on the quitter Nygren. Besides, we have Markov for 3 more years.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010

Defense? Not even close.

I would rather Beaulieu play the role of PMD along with Subban than to bestow that honor on the quitter Nygren. Besides, we have Markov for 3 more years.

Why are you calling him a quitter though ?

He rather go back to the SEL to play top pairing minutes and be in his home country instead of being in the AHL with sub par coaching staff in a city that is not all that attractive.

I do not blame him at all. If he felt it was best for his development to go back home I am glad he made it.

He is far from a quitter.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Will Magnus Nygren become the next Francois Beauchemin / Ron Hainsey / Ryan McDonagh ?

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011

He rather go back to the SEL to play top pairing minutes and be in his home country instead of being in the AHL with sub par coaching staff in a city that is not all that attractive.

I do not blame him at all. If he felt it was best for his development to go back home I am glad he made it.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but Hamilton is our farm team.

Most of our prospects made a trip through there to get to Montreal. If we give Nygren special privileges, what does that say to the players grinding it out down there to earn their shot in the NHL.

He quit. Come back to Hamilton or get traded.

Belso

Aug 15, 2005

I agree with you. Nygren is succeeding in a man's pro league being paid a great salary. He's 24. The Habs don't always send their players to Hamilton to "pay their dues". They send prospects through Hamilton because the team believes it's a good stepping stone to prepare kids to play men with experience. Nygren's already gone through that. Either he's ready or he's not.

Anyone who argues that a player ALWAYS goes through Hamilton need to remember that Galchenyuk went straight from the CHL to the NHL just recently. I didn't expect the Habs to do that especially after he missed most of the season with a knee injury. It was also a short season. But they believed he was ready to make the leap at 18 and he was.

TSN reported the Habs might be trying to move Gorges. They might be trying to make room on D. I hope not because I like Josh, but I also hope they don't lose Nygren. So like some people have already mentioned in this post, the Habs might give him an honest look in training camp and play it by ear. If they think they have better players in the system, they'll trade his rights to picks.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Man why is it such a big deal that he doesn't want to play in Hamilton ?

Emelin stayed in the KHL until he was assured to have a spot in the top 4 in MTL.

I can understand why Nygren is doing the same.

As others have said, if we trade him we will have wasted a very talented young D-man.

My thinking as well...if he doesn't make the Habs next year, let him go back to Sweden. Then he can try again next year. And so on. No rush to trade him IMO.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
On this forum, who's actually seen him play a lot?

What do you think we are? Scouts, we go around traveling to watch our various prospects, and then report back here with our divine information from watching him play "a lot".

There are two peoples on this board who maybe have seen him play "A Lot"

1. Someone who lives in Hamilton and really enjoys AHL hockey.

2. Someone who lives in Sweden and really enjoys swedish elite league hockey.

Other than that most people here will read stats, watch highlight reals, and maybe the hardcores will stream a game here and there if they can. Have you seen him play a lot? Is this a fair answer to your question?

Raimu

That weird Dragon girl
Jan 21, 2006
Halifax, NS

Most of our prospects made a trip through there to get to Montreal. If we give Nygren special privileges, what does that say to the players grinding it out down there to earn their shot in the NHL.

You mentioned something in another thread about sounding like an absolutist. This is pretty much on course with that.

He didn't do it exactly the way I like and I think is right and me, me, me, so he quit.

That's a really binary point of view. It's really hard to have a conversation with somebody who is unwilling to see grey. It's black or white or it doesn't exist, right?

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013

It is true. Obviously. What would the teams view however be if some of our prospects Candian/American included decided to prove themselves in Sweden or Russia though? That would be interesting. And I think fair. The AHL isn't a very exciting league to play in.. Alot of burnouts.. Guy's who know they aren't going to make it. The OHL is much more exciting even.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

Defense? Not even close.

Or maybe we should see the player at camp and then decide?

I don't necessarily agree with you about attitude, but that can always be adjusted.

Top level skill cannot. Stop with your crusades already. Your intelligence is appealing, your arrogance is not.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
You mentioned something in another thread about sounding like an absolutist. This is pretty much on course with that.

He didn't do it exactly the way I like and I think is right and me, me, me, so he quit.

That's a really binary point of view. It's really hard to have a conversation with somebody who is unwilling to see grey. It's black or white or it doesn't exist, right?

Personally I like Southern Hab. He sends an invitation like the one he did there, he get's a response like the one you did there, and off come the gloves. It's a good time, I'm being sincere.

Raimu

That weird Dragon girl
Jan 21, 2006
Halifax, NS
Personally I like Southern Hab. He sends an invitation like the one he did there, he get's a response like the one you did there, and off come the gloves. It's a good time, I'm being sincere.

I never said I dislike him, he's allowed to have his opinion on the matter. However, I just think that his view of him "being a quitter" is binary and bordering on childish name-calling.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
On this forum, who's actually seen him play a lot?

I watched him play about 2 AHL games and ~9-10 SHL games this year. This is all done online, not live. I watch Swedish games mostly for upcoming prospects and learning the language..... guess there's another type of people ;)

I'm not sure if I've heard of a stupider way of evaluating a prospect than by judging them by their "cumulative +/- since 2009".

He's very talented offensively. He knows how to move the puck and you notice him when he's playing. He's absolutely lethal on the PP.

What SouthernHab doesn't realize, because he's likely never watched him play, is that Nygren is quite capable defensively. He's got good mobility, an active stick, he's not afraid to play physical or take the body, and he does well positionally. He's not an offence-only defenceman. What he struggled with coming to NA was adjusting to the size of the rink and the speed of the game - gap control was an issue - this would absolutely help explain his poor +/- stats (which have little to no value when judging any player let alone a developing prospect). He is not Josh Gorges but he absolutely has the potential to be at least average defensively in the NHL.

If I had the choice between playing in the SHL or AHL, I'd choose SHL.
If I had the choice between living in Hamilton or Karlstad, I'd choose Karlstad AINEC.
Carlsson's fairly new to Färjestad BK but I'd choose him over Lefebvre :laugh:
Nygren chose a different development path, did what he thought was best. That's not quitting.

mustardnight*

Aug 11, 2011

Hamilton sucks, it is a filthy bag of crap and the team probably isn't fun to play for. I can understand why he would want a big boy salary in his native country. From a purely logical point of view, his decision is very defensible and respectable.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I watched him play about 2 AHL games and ~9-10 SHL games this year. This is all done online, not live. I watch Swedish games mostly for upcoming prospects and learning the language..... guess there's another type of people ;)

I'm not sure if I've heard of a stupider way of evaluating a prospect than by judging them by their "cumulative +/- since 2009".

He's very talented offensively. He knows how to move the puck and you notice him when he's playing. He's absolutely lethal on the PP.

What SouthernHab doesn't realize, because he's likely never watched him play, is that Nygren is quite capable defensively. He's got good mobility, an active stick, he's not afraid to play physical or take the body, and he does well positionally. He's not an offence-only defenceman. What he struggled with coming to NA was adjusting to the size of the rink and the speed of the game - gap control was an issue - this would absolutely help explain his poor +/- stats (which have little to no value when judging any player let alone a developing prospect). He is not Josh Gorges but he absolutely has the potential to be at least average defensively in the NHL.

If I had the choice between playing in the SHL or AHL, I'd choose SHL.
If I had the choice between living in Hamilton or Karlstad, I'd choose Karlstad AINEC.
Carlsson's fairly new to Färjestad BK but I'd choose him over Lefebvre :laugh:
Nygren chose a different development path, did what he thought was best. That's not quitting.

I do not like giving up on prospects for stuff like this. Definitely was in the do not trade and let him keep coming to camp to see if he makes it one year crowd, and then I read this. Good enough for me and just solidifies my position on this.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Nygren is good skill. Swedish people in general are very friendly and easy going. I can see why he never took in rough house city like Hamilton.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Funny SouthernHab has never seen him play and is judging him on +/-. The reason his +/- was so horrible in Hamilton is because he was playing 30 minutes and night and at the start of the season Lefebvre decided Mayer was above Tokarski on the depth chart. Pateryn's +/- wasn't great 15 games into the season either. The entire teams +/- skyrocketed when Tokarski got more starts. Nygren isn't a MAB, he's an all around great defenseman. Better than Beaulieu, Tinordi or Pateryn. He is our best dman prospect and it would be beyond Pejorative Slured to get rid of him for not wanting to live in Hamilton.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
And there is nothing wrong about that.

I would trade Nygren's arse simply because he bailed out of HAM.

The NHL is not a place to test out a player. IF you play in the NHL it's because you have shown your worth on NA ice. Nygren has not done that yet.

I totally agree. I think Bergevins thought is that if he doesn't make the Habs, which is very likely, he needs to go back to Hamilton as that's the way to the Habs. If not he'll trade him. You cannot have the inmates run the prison!

Nygren is good skill. Swedish people in general are very friendly and easy going. I can see why he never took in rough house city like Hamilton.

Have you ever been to Hamilton before? It's not a sess pool of a city. It has it's bad neighbourhoods as do ALL major cities but is also has some of the nicest and richest areas in the county as well a long with beautiful conservation areas surrounding it. The Niagars escapement which runs through Hamikton is a World Biosphere Reserve. If he can't be happy in an area like that we should call him Princess Nygren and ship him off to Walt Disney World to continue the next stage of his career.

Besides, if he hates Hamilton that much, there's one sure fire way to get out. Play your way into the NHL. If you can't do that, you shouldn't be part of the organization to begin with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad